Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by softscrubmonkey, Aug 9, 2005.

1. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    im looking to get a whole new rig, because of size and weight issues, im looking for something pretty portable but i like power. i have a ampeg svt 350h and 410 hlf cab which im trying to sell. and im planning on getting a avatar cab, and either the ashdown MAG 600R or go pre/power. now i want the closest sound to my 410 hlf, but i need something smaller and lighter. i play in bands off and on so it needs to be able to hold its own against drums and half stacks. so would the 210 be too small? would the 212 not be punchy enough for what i like? do i absoultely have to get a 410? as far as budget i can afford any of the avatar cabs more or less, but if i get a 410 then i will have to buy the ashdown head, i would rather get a cheaper cab and venture into pre/power, but im not the expert, so any help or advice would be appreciated.

2. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    I have an Eden WT330 with Avatar B210 and SB112 cabs. I prefer the sound of the 210 alone, and don't have any trouble competing against 2 guitar players (40w and 60w combos). But they're smart enough to understand volume control. YMMV:)

3. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    yeah, well the kid the i usually jam with has a marshall half. so would that be drowning me out? and is the 212 gonna be louder than the 210?

4. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    It depends on if he plays at a reasonable volume, or if his marshall has a pot that goes to 11. :) One of the combos I go up against sometimes gets output to a mesa 412 and I don't have any problems. You would obviously have a little more surface area to push air with a 212, but does the Avatar 212 have the same "punch" that you like out of your 10's? Plenty of posters here have both Avatar 210/212. Maybe they can chime in here and help.

5. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    yeah thats what i was lookin for, if the 212 has as much punch as my 410hlf. but thanks for the input

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    My guitarist uses a Marshall half stack and he likes to be loud all the time :scowl:

Going thru the PA, I don't have any issues using the 210 as a stage monitor, but if I didn't have that, a 212 would be a must have (actually, I'm saving for one now). The 410 is nice, but it just doesn't reproduce the really low end like a 212

7. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    well i really like the super punchy sound i get out of my 410, so will i lose that if i go to 212?

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not really, just dial back the lows and boost the mid-lows and highs a bit. You'll still have the punch with the added benefit of more rumble when you need/want it.

If it makes any difference, I sent back my Avatar 410 NEO to wait for the 212 NEO just for this reason.

9. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    so would a 210 neo at 8ohms be good for now and then i could add on a 212 later if i needed to be bigger?

10. guyfry

guyfry

Jul 21, 2005
    Your main concern is the size and weight issue if I read your original post correctly.

The 410 hlf is like 90 while the neo 212 is like 60 pounds. However it's still pretty big cab, your looking at 27H x 25W x 16.5D and the hlf is like 25.75 x 22.75 x 17.5
    So the 212 is actually larger in size.. hence more awkward.
    The 210 neo is a nice cab. I just picked one of those up as well. Light and easy to lug around, handles enough juice to make it loud enough if you have the power for it. You can't really go wrong with either one.
    Id stick to the 210 for now and you can always pickup the 212 if you have room for it.

Good luck.

11. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    alright thanks alot, i think thats what im gonna go for, the 210 at 8ohms so i can always add in a 212 or something later on. now for the head... but ill search the forums for that

12. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Just my opinion so nobody shoot but I'd be very suprised if a 2x10 got anywhere near what your hlf is delivering. I've got an svt classic head, a 410hlf and an svt210he. The hlf has it's limitations but sheer welly isn't one of them imo. They go pretty damn loud with a ton of bottom. No way I'd expect my 210he to hang with a half stack and a rock drummer. BTW the size/weight given for the 410hlf is wrong, it's bigger and 110lbs+, maybe guyfry was talking about the 410he?

13. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    yeah i think hes wrong on the size weight. ive seen a kid my size carry around a avatar 410 by himself no problem. so are you saying i should go with the 212? or would it be best to spring the cash for the 410? i want to avoid that if i can so i can have money for the pre/power rack head i want. but if i need to get the 410 to save my sound then so be it

14. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I haven't used a 2x12 so I can't comment. What I am saying is I don't think a 2x10 will get anywhere near what your hlf sounds like on stage with a drummer and a half stack, 410's just move much more air than 210's. I reckon your best bet is to go into a shop and crank up some 210/212/410 cabs and A/B them to hear for youself. Even if the cabs are not the make you are interested in you'll get an idea of the difference. Then grab the cab you want in that configuration.

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    +1

16. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    alright well ill play a bunch tomorrow, i think you got me sold on stickin with 410, i know its gonna cost me some more, but thats the way its gotta be, ive played and ampeg 210 and wasnt impressed, so ill try to find a 212 to play through, but i dont expect some miracle golden sound to come out of it.

17. mwig

mwig

Aug 6, 2005
    fresno, ca
    how 'bout a truck dolly and some help from your band mates. I'm always helping our drummer out with his crap at least they can do is help get your rig out of the car. The dolly does the rest. I have a 210 and a 410 and there is no comparison. A cranked up 210 sounds like fart city. Sure you can hear it but do you really want to? Just my opinion...

18. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    +1 I have Avatar 210 + 212 which I run together... I tried the 210 on its own... think Donnie Brasco... FORRR-GED-A-BOWWW-TIT

fart central, no real low end... turn back on the 212 and o sweet rumble and fatness returns...

19. how many watts to run the 212+210? And is that at 2.67 ohms? or 4?

20. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    well i think i decided to go 410 because thats what im used to. but they will be at 8ohms whatever i get, cause i might add on a 212 sometime later on. thanks for all the advice