Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Ok, I got an Avatar B410 with the Foster horn and I run a GK 700RB-II head into it. My question is, has anyone else rewired the horn to be powered by the GK's tweeter amp? The little 50 watt tweeter only amp inside the 700 and 1001RB heads? I'm curious if it's worth doing, and how I would go about doing it, or if I'm just wasting my time. I know a lot of people complain about some hiss from the Foster horn and I'm thinking this might help a bit, but who knows.

2. its not that hard, u would just need to wire the speakers to one jack and the tweeter another, the problem is what is the tweeter rated at.

3. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    I did this when I had my 700Rb. I had a Crate 4-10 at the time and added a Carvin horn.

I would recommend that you try this. You wont be disappointed. It really opened up the sound considerably. Also there was much more headroom. It made a crappy Crate cab sound excellent.

Wire Speakon 1+ / 1- to the woofers. 2+ / 2- to the horn if I remember corectly. Use a 4 conductor Speakon cable and you might have to buy a speakon jack for the cab.

I kinda miss that GK head. I wonder how the Biamp would have sounded with a great cab.

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've probably gushed as much praise for this cab as anyone else on the board... so I'll venture that I don't think it's worth the trouble. I admit I'm not familiar with the advantages to be had from the GK amp, with the separate tweeter amp, but on the cabinet end, I can tell you that you will likely want very little tweeter on that cab...

I set my SWR Goliath III's attenuator at noon, but on the Avatar cab, I barely turn the tweet on - in fact I turn it all the way down when using it with the Goliath.

So, I would guess that it's a nice idea, but not worth the effort on THIS cab.

:)

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I tried this with my GK 700RB and an Avatar CB112. Using the tweeter amp on the GK head adds a lot of hiss unless you use the tweeter filter. It's quieter with the amp run full range into the cab and sounds the same, sans hiss. Also, unless you have the GK biamp cable, you'll spend $20-$30 for one.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you do this you'll want to find out if the two power amps in the GK have a common negative point. If not, I wouldn't risk simply rewiring the two jacks on the Avatar for woofer and tweeter duty (you could seriously damage one or both of the GK's power amps if they're not supposed to be interconnected).

If you swapped out the existing jacks with plastic body jacks (to ensure isolation of the negative terminal from the jack cup) that would work...or better yet, just open up one of the jack holes and install a speakon jack.

7. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    That's what I did...enlarged the lower jack hole and put in a Speakon...with their plastic body, that's no problem with the two channels having their grounds connected. Had to move the hole up slightly from its center to fit the speakon, but there was room.

8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    What will switching out the 1/4" for a speakon connector do for the sound?

9. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Little change in the sound, really, but the Speakon has much better contacts and avoid potential crackles from dirty 1/4" plugs and jacks. Probably conducts power a bit better because of the more solid connection, too.