Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Alrighty! I should have asked this question before I bought yesterday. But, it's on its way now...

How are your Avatar cabs,4x10's in particular but all are welcome to reply, handling your B strings? Any input would be helpful. And, yes, my starting this thread was influenced by comments in another.

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I assume you're referring to my post on another thread...
    I didn't mean to sound like it can't handle the low B, I just don't think it has the low growl of a 15" cab, and that should be kinda expected. I wanted the floor to rattle a bit under me when I hit the "B". The cab sounds awesome and in MY OPINION it could be a stand-alone with absolutely no issues. Part of my problem is that I have uncontrollable "GAS" with regards to finding that low low sound. It does not fart-out or anything like that and I even use a "low flange" effect with it.

Perhaps some other guys can give you a better feel for how they think it handles the low B.

I imagine that you'll feel like the rest of us Avatar owners feel: it's the best $300 dollars you've spent on your set up.:D

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Oh, yeah! Spending $321 was a beautiful thing... I want low end, of course, but, overall, I'm more into the punch tone with some rumble. I'm just hoping it is not farty as some have suggested with a B. That, of course, could result in ultra hot signals and for other reasons. However, i'm assuming it can still handle considerable volume with a low B and still keep its tonal integrity... a nice clear B, not a flatulent one...

What kind of 5's are you using?

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I've played an Epiphone EB3 & Ibanez 405 through it...both sound good to me, but also don't abuse the low B...
    and I definately know what you mean about punch and the 10s, cause the 4x10 by itself has tons of it. My 2x10/1x15 set up has a mucho different sound.