Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aaron f., Aug 11, 2002.

1. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    I'm looking into Avatar cabs (low on cash, tuition), I checked their site and it says they come with 1/4 inch inputs. I'm going to be running a QSC rmx series power amp into it and it doesn't have 1/4 inch outputs. I've thought about a speakon to 1/4 cable but after searching the board it seems that 1/4 from high powered power amps is a no no. Is it possible to get an Avatar cab with speakon inputs as opposed to the 1/4 inch?

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Why are 1/4" speaker cables a no-no?

3. Just use a bannana plug or speakon to quarter inch cable. It's what I do.

4. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    about the 1/4 inch, a read a post on here that said if you're pushing lots of watts probably 1000 or more if the 1/4 comes out it can fry your amp or damage it.

5. Don't worry about it. You probably should have speaken cables or bannana plugs, but quarter inch will work fine.

6. Check with Dave at Avatar, he would probably put Speakons in your cabs for a nominal fee. Avatar has always been very co-operative and reasonable.

John