1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Avatar cabs, any canadian users ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marton, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    I'm in Canada and I would like to get an B212, but I'm kinda worried about the taxes and fees, especially because they use FedEx for shipping.

Anybody had one shipped in Canada ? If so, how much do you had to pay ?

2. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    I ordered a B212 in green tolex from http://www.steamcomusic.com/ a while ago. I believe it cost me around $550 at the time but I don't know what they're going for these days. I did have to wait quite a while since Steamco didn't have any green ones in stock at the time of my order.

3. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Fedex isn't too bad on brokerage - UPS charges more.

4. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
  5. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Yeah, I know, my question was more about Canadian customs fees.

6. when you send in canada to canada you don't pay fees, fyi i have a avatar 2x12 neo im looking to sell, i would consider shipping if your interested, im in winnipeg manitoba.

7. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I have never been charged custom fees for any american built equipment i have ordered from the states. Only gst and a brokerage fee if its from ups which will be about 20 to $30

8. 2-Sticks

2-Sticks

Sep 8, 2008
    Vancouver B.C. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: S.I.T. Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, WB Gear,
    REALLY?!? I have about a 50/50 chance with UPS....even if all the NAFTA paperwork is in order and with the product, FedEx has always gotten it right though. FedEx also charges way less in Brokerage fees....at least from my experiences.

To the OP, in theory if the item is made in North America, from North American produced parts, it will not incur duty. You will have to pay GST/HST and customs brokerage fees.

However, be prepared to pay for the duty, and have to fight for re-imbersment. I only say this from my personal experience .

9. WAAAAYYYYYYY more!!!!

10. GST IS the import duty. If you are in Ontario or BC you'll have to pay HST which is 13%.

Some companies,like Carvin, charge a bit more shipping but then handle the duties. That way the stuff just gets delivered to your door.

I have paid duties even on US made items. If you have not you're lucky.

11. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    American built equipment should not be charged duty(as per our free trade agreement). Brokerage fees can be very high if you use the brown guy!!

12. GST is a federal tax and is completely different from import duties.

If the item you are importing was made in North America, you should not need to pay import duties.

You probably WILL be charged your GST and PST (or HST) and possibly a brokerage fee ($5 with Canada Post, much higher with UPS or FedEx) or bond fee.

What most people call 'import duties' is really just federal and provincial taxes possibly combined with a brokerage/bond fee.

13. there's one on kijiji in winnipeg now.....i'd buy it myself but it's 4 ohm....there's also a 4x10

14. you can self broker,and avoid the fees but it only pays if you live close to a customs office.....it's a pain,but i imagine the carriers like to make it difficult so you will just give them what they ask....duty only applies to goods outside nafta.....i'm not sure if speaker cabs conform to us mail size/weight limitations

15. A rose is a rose and a tax is a tax, call it by whatever name you will. It's all very well and good to quote free trade but when the guy is at your door asking for the money he simply doesn't care!

16. if it originates(is made) in the us the import duties are waived,but the taxes are not....nor are the brokerage fees from the carrier.....when buying from the states you must factor in every cost.....the great prices enjoyed by us buyers are often not so sweet once all the tax/shipping/duties/fees/packing/insurance stuff is factored in f.o.b. canook

17. No duties on North American made goods.

I ordered a 4x10 from Steamco about 4 years ago for ~680, but now you can buy directly from Avatar. It'll probably be a little bit cheaper since it only gets shipped once and there's no middle man. Go for it.

18. ejmy

ejmy

Nov 30, 2008
    Bottom line, buy it from Steamco, you will know exactly how much right away, no guessing. And it will probably be less all together.

19. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I agree.....and you support one of the few canadian businesses that supply us with things we can't get for our basses at other stores