1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Avatar cabs - are they really worth it.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer2106, May 4, 2006.

1. I've found a dealer that can get these in the UK for £299 delivered from Holland.
    Are they really as good as I've read.

I can't believe that you can buy, a quality American made cab for this amount of money.

Would I be better off buying a used Eden or EBS.

How do they sound compared with Eden and EBS etc.

I'm considering getting the neo 2x10 and a neo 4x10 to partner it for larger gigs.

I know there are loads of threads on these cabs, but ploughing through them all is a bit of a pain, so please advise me.

Thanks
    Kevin

2. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Is the price you're talking about for a 210 Neo? £299 converts to $610 CDN, and I could get a 210 Neo shipped for $472 CDN. How expensive is used Eden and EBS gear in the UK?

I've been using an older Eden 210/115 stack, and I just picked up a used Avatar CB112 (vertical orientation-the new SB series are designed to stack up placed horizontally), and I'm getting a better tone now. As a standalone it's not as loud because of less speaker area and less power from the amp, but there's a fullness in the lower mids that was lacking in the Eden stack. Maybe I'm just a 12's guy, but I'm going to buy more 112s, and unless I can find great deals locally on used Aggie's or something similiar, they're going to be Avatars.

The main reason that Avatar are so inexpensive is because they spend their money on building cabinets, not on advertising and/or sponsoring some big name artist. And, direct sales takes 2 added costs (distributor and retailer) out of the final price if you live in the US, and the retailer is out of the picture for the rest of us.

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    They are definately worth the cost For the money you won't find a better cab unless you find something used for the same money. I have a neo 210 and a neo 112 I run them together And the sound is very good. You Might be better oft with a neo 212 and a 210 Get a little more bottom and still have good punch. plus more portable.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I love my B410 neo. It is quite possibly the best cab I've owned to date. That isn't to say that there aren't better cabs out there, but in my price range, this thing rocks! You can check my profile to see my previously owned gear.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Avatars are "great cabs for the price", but if price were ignored, they aren't quite the build quality of Eden or EBS.

Another thing to consider is that Avatar re-uses the same box regardless of whether you get neo, delta, or Kappa-Pro speakers in it - the boxes are not tuned for the different T/S parameters of each speaker type. :meh:

6. My 410 neo just arrived yesterday, and after trying every single cab at Long and Mcquade (they don't have eden's, other high end cabs ect., they only deal in ampeg, swr, yorkville, and messa-boogie stuff) it is way better than any of them for clarity, punch, and massive low end. I still have the yorkville 4x10 I rented from them for a show while my avatar was in the mail, it has a steel grill and is coated in fyberglass and I don't want to dis yorkville/traynor they are one of my favorite companies (and my favorite from long and mcquade) the avatar 410 neo is bars above it plus I can carry it with one hand as opposed to not being able to cary the yorkville at all. If you can get Eden or EBS stuff for cheaper you'll probably want to buy that if the price is the same, I haven't tried it personally but haven't heard one bad thing about it in my search for cabs.

So what I'm really trying to say here is:

1. Try everything at your local music store to see what you like.
    2. Read lots of reviews on different stuff that is available to you and take them with a grain of salt. (harmony central is good)
    3. Think of what exactly you need in terms of a cab (weight, size, ohms etc.)
    4. Know how much you're willing to spend and compare price to value on everything that is available to you (don't forget to add in shipping cost)

PS I highly recommend Steamco for buying nordstrand, avatar, and other bass stuff not normally available in Canada, awesome, just awesome.

8. That's not completely true. Although the same box is used, the ports are tuned differently for each model of speaker. Lots of manufacturers do the same thing.

9. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I don't recall seeing a A-B comparison between the Avatar, Eden, and/or EBS cabs, but time and time again I hear that Avatars are really good. I've certainly found nothing to complain about in my 210/115 Avatar setup. Eden and EBS are certainly well-respected names that make good equipment, but whether they're really better, or whether it's just marketing hype, I'm not so sure.

12. True. Plus, the difference in the t/s numbers between the 10's in the Eminence line aren't so wildly drastic that non-audiophiles are going to notice a difference. On top of that, Eminence makes speakers specifically for Avatar, so I'm betting there's even more consistancy between drivers.
    C7

13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    In a nutshell, they are not as nice as Eden or EBS, BUT... for the price difference (at least here in the USA), they're a GREAT option!

They are VERY nice... well made and sound excellent. I'd gig with them with no regrets.

14. Everyone's really touched on everything here, but I'll just add that I switched from Ampeg BXT's to Avatar, and wouldn't go back.

Avatar's are worth more than we're paying. Great deal, great cabs.

Just to sum up. :D

15. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I've gigged with a Delta 2x12 for almost 2 years now, and it's never let me down. I'm still able to dial in a sweet tone, even with the old speaker crossover.

I actually chose to use the 2x12 over an Ampeg 4x10 (Classic series, used, dunno the model number), that my uncle would've given to me for the same price. I heard time and time again about the Avatar's clarity compared to Ampeg, and after playing the Ampeg with an SVT3-Pro, I decided the all-aAmpeg sound wasn't me. So I got the Avatar.

Try to go out and play each cab with your head, see if the tone is for you.

16. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    I'm very very happy with avatar. try em out!

17. metalbob

metalbob Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    so california
    :hyper: I just got my neo b212 yesterday and Ive been trying it out with my new carvin b1500 played my 8string and my 4 so far it sounds killer!!!! cant wait till this weekend when it will get incorperated into my gig rig avatar 410 plus neo b212!!!!!!!

18. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx

19. I have the Avatar 210 Neo and the 212 Delta and play them out of a Behringer BX4500H head.. These cabs can take whatever you throw at it. Worth every cent, dont let the price fool you, I would recommend Avatar cabs to anyone. Also, this is a company that you can call and actually speak to the owner. They all are very knowledgable and listen to your questions and provide intelligent answers. they treat their customers like gold.. You generally dont see that in most companies today..

20. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Avatar cabs are great cabs, for the money. They are not as good as Eden, SWR, etc. cabs that cost twice as much.