Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Aug 11, 2004.

1. How much better of tone would you be able to get out of say an svt ampeh 410 hlf compared to the avatar 410? I have the avatar cab now, but i am thinking that the ampeg cab would help me out in the tone department better. i do not like the muddy sound, nor do i like harshness. are ampeg cabs muddy?
  2. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey a e i o u,

In my opinion, the Avatar 4x10 I used to have was much more "up front" then the Ampeg 4x10s I played. The Ampeg had more "depth", stating its tone much deeper, giving a warmer, darker sound. The Avatar seemed to have an easier time giving punch and was brighter. It would be safe for me to say that the Ampeg can get muddy while the Avatar can get harsh. But backing your bass and amp down, away from those extremeties would be using the cabs for their strengths.

In my experience, if I wanted more of a deeper, warmer, smoother tone with butter type lows, I'd go with the Ampegs. If I wanted punch, decent enough lows with super quick action and treble/highs for days, then it would be Avatar.

I also noticed that the Avatar seemed to reveal their full potentials when given higher wattages. The difference in quality of sound at comparable levels was very noticable going from 350watts to 1200watts (Ampeg rated). The Ampeg fills out the room warmly and surely with low end surrounding you, while the Avatar projected its sound super fast and filled out a room punchily and in your face.

Sorry if my descriptions are a bit hard to understand. I'm just not too good at describing sound yet. But I'll get there. Again, these are my experiences and may not be like that with everyone due to tone/sound choice, volume, bass, amp, etc.

3. So my avatar isn't going to sound as good unless i put hundreds more watts into it? then i would be way too loud for the rest of the band. i am loud enough with my b2r half way up... if i pushed say 800 watts through it, you wouldnt be able to hear the rest of the band at all
  4. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    It'll sound better with more wattage (although I don't think the Avatars are too power hungry), but that's not to say you're going to use all that wattage. You might have an 800 watt head, but you can always keep the volume control where you need it to be. The cab likes all that clean power, and 350 watts of the B2R (if the cab is 4 ohms, about 2/3 of that if the cab is 8 ohms) isn't a ton of power for a cab that can handle 1400 watts. So basically if you don't like your tone now, try it with a different amp (maybe a more potent Ampeg if you want). More power might make a rather positive difference in the sound of your Avatar, and you wouldn't have to lug around the 130lb 410HLF. EQ can help in getting a deeper sound as well. But if you try that and still don't like your sound, then you might just have to go for the 410HLF...
  5. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

haha... are you serious dude? You must be playing like... Mega-quiet emo then... we somethin like that. If thats the case..... maybe the B2R's loud enough for you... but it was getting drowned out in my OWN BASEMENT. oy.... :meh:

My B2R was almost like a 50W combo to me.... and that was while through an Ampeg BXT410... a good quality cabinet in its own right. I EQed the lows higher... in an attempt to at LEAST gimme some low presence. It started to get close to clipping.... and I was still getting drowned out by a Marshall AVT Halfstack.

As stated... watts dont necessarily make you louder at all. They just let the speakers breath a little.... gives them some vigor and such. I honestly dont think the SVT410 is a bad cabinet... but its not like a holy grail or nothin. It will give you more depth than the Avatar, but it can get blobby and muddy, unless you EQ it to where you like it. It's range is greater than that of the Avatar... but I still think that your tonal adjustment could be altered more through an amp change.

I dont think there's any cab that can make an RBI sound bad.