Avatar cabs...should I sell my C112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hswift, Jan 16, 2003.

1. hswift

May 19, 2002
    I ordered a C112 have tried it with my SWR 350 (225 @ 8 ohms, 350 @ 4 ohms.) Alone it sounds great, but when I play with my band, the low end completely drops out. Whoever says these cabs are tuned quite high is correct. I don't know if it is the room we practice in or what, but it is not usable if I can't hear myself in the lows (we have two guitarists, drummer, vocals.) Which of the following options should I pursue?

A - Keep the C112 (has great mid/high sound) and add a C115.
    B - Keep the C112 (has great mid/high sound) and some other 1x15, perhaps the other Avatar 15.
    C - Sell the C112 and get the new Avatar 2x12 which is tuned quite low.

I don't have too much money so I'd like to stick to Avatar if possible. Their modified cabs seem to have some promise. Thanks,

2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well, don't know if this helps, but when i bridge my power amp into my B112 it has LOTS of low end.

but that's 750 watts.
  3. hswift

May 19, 2002
  4. I am not sure that the 350 is going to be enough to properly drive the Kappa in the 112. Mine (an older 400w Kappa ina nemesis cab) is a power thirsty little guy who wont perfore without AT LEAST 300w. Its most happy with 500. Perhaps its a power issue, cuz most amp manufacturers rate at a test tone that is a much higher frequency(s) than a bass note. Low notes take more power to push the driver.

I hope this helps
  5. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Well I hate to say this but here goes. IME a 1-12 is only good for small coffee house gigs. Now your going to hear guys come in and say " well I played a 5000 seat arena with 100watts and a 10 inch speaker and it ruled" all I can say is its B.S. .

If you want your bass to be heard and felt it takes a good amount of power and a few speakers to get the job done. Your fighting for your sonic space with 2 guitar players and a drummer and some are going to argue but I would say throw an avatar 15 under (not the compact but the full size). Doing this will reduce your overall impedance and allow you to get full power from your amp and with the addition of the extra driver will bring a noticable difference to your volume and sound.

I do agree with the guys above that IMO you need more power but try and get the most out of what you have first before just going out and buying another amp.

You can also do some eq tweaking and add some mids to your sound and cut some lows and this can bring a very large difference to the perceived volume of your rig. Hope at least some of this helps. TS
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I agree with TS! If your playing in a loud band without a very good P.A., your going to need more than a single 12. I wish you could....so I wouldn't have to move my larger cabs......but you have to move air;)