Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avatar cabs, too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Droog, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    So I have just discovered Avatar and it seems too good to be true. I am of a mind that you get what you pay for (most of the time). The reviews at Harmony Central all rave about them, I am sceptical and in the market so very intrigued. What do you all think? Thanks.

2. From what I understand, they're very good cabs for their price. However, do not expect them to sound like high-end cabs such as Bergantino or Epifani.

3. Try the search function :)

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Too good to be true?

On the contrary, the nice thing about Avatar is that you know exactly what you are getting up front. If what they sell meets your needs then you will enjoy the experience.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Avatar cabinets are exactly as they're advertised, well made from quality materials, reasonably priced and their customer service is second to none.

Dave gives you a trial period so if you don't like it, you can send it back. All it costs you is shipping both ways.

6. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    You have to buy them on faith (unless you can borrow someones) but I am a big fan of mine.

Dave makes it as easy as it can be (although sending a cabinet back would be a hassle) but I was very impressed with my 212 and 210. I would tell you that I could have easily spent twice as much and not be as happy. There is a point, though, where you COULD spend more money and get a superior product (Bergs, Epiphanies). You may want to try those out first, but if the dollars can't be justified, I would call Dave before buying anything else.

Good Luck

7. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    It's twuuuuu...it's twuuuuu!! :eek:

8. I love my 410 :D

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    mine works fine

never leave home without it

10. Nope - good and true.

they are not "tour the world" sturdy (plastic corners, only medium sturdy grills) but unless you expect serious abuse they are fine.

Some other manufacturers use emminence drivers (carvin, new-sunn and others I believe) - avatar use higher specced drivers and are cheaper.

Be sure you get a cab to do what you want. My 210 will take 600 watts and is loud, BUT weak on the low bass.

If you wanted a deeper 210 then you might be better looking at another brand. Avatar have 15 and 12's for the lows though..

11. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I got a 212 a couple of months ago and I love it so much I want to have sex with it.

Well, almost....

This thing sounds fantastic. Maybe an Aggie or an Epi will sound better, but I can't imagine a name-brand cab sounding SO much better it's worth twice the price, which is what it would cost.

Mind you, they're not perfect. I want to see some tweeter protection and Speakons, but hey, for $300 NEW, I'm not going to complain too much.

And if it bugs me that much, I can always buy the bits from Parts Express and modify the cabinet. It's just a bunch of solder connections, after all. And I'd STILL come out spending hundreds less.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I just use the B115 with my Eden WT 550 and it works very well.

13. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    Uh...

I wouldn't go THAT far.

But, I have the B112 that I enjoy so much that I plan on getting the new CB112 to compliment it. Or maybe the CB115.

14. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I wanted another cab to go with my Ashdown 2x10 and ABM-500 amp. I only had $300. I ended up with Avatar's 210; the newer one. I love it. It was a great price and sounds fine. It comes well packed if you should need to return it but I bet Dave does not get to many returned because somebody doesn't like the sound. My only complaint, and do others agree, is that the grill is a real pain to put back on. It's hard to get the rubber spacers lined up. Dave are you listening. I have ment to ask him about that. If I ever need to remove the grill again, I will figure out a better way.

I considerd the Ernie Ball 2x12 but it was very heavy. That was or is a great Ernie Ball deal.

15. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't have any complaints with Avatar cabs (I own 2), though there are two things I'd like to see in the future...

1) speakon inputs
    2) a better tweeter

16. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Sorry, had to commment on the grill. It's not that hard to put back on - just make sure you lay the cabinet so the speakers are toward teh ceiling before you put the grill back on. Had to learn that by doing it with the cabinet properly faced...that was a pain in the arse...

17. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Check out the User Reviews (link at top of page). The rambling review of the b410 is mine... :oops: