Avatar cabs vs. Dr. Bass BL series cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'm sure a thread like this must have been created already, but darned if I can find it!

For those who have had experience with either Avatar cabs, Dr. Bass BL series cabs or both, what are your impressions of the comparative advtanges and disadvantages of each?

2. I only have minimal experience with avatar, and no real experience with Dr Bass, but after processing hundreds of reviews for each company in my gear searching, I have come to the general conclusion that Dr Bass cabs have a better sound, and better construction, while avatar is cheaper and has more wattage handling.

People get mad when I make posts like this with little experience, but I figure I might as well give you all the information that I know.
  3. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    I've got a pair of Avatars, 2x12 and 2x10, both Neos. I use an Ampeg preamp and a Yamaha 1500 watt power amp. I get a great sound out of them, I got rid of an Ampeg 4x10 after gigging through these. I ordered them on a Friday, they were at my front door the next Wednesday.
  4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    What I'm really after here is a comparison of 1) relative sound quality, and 2) construction quality, between the two makes. Power-handling capability looks to be about the same...

All things being equal, I'd much prefer the spray-on bedliner covering that Dr. Bass uses to the carpet that Avatar uses. But, comparable Avatar cabs are available for considerably less money...

I'm trying to determine if Dr. Bass provides a significant advantage in sound quality to go along with their better (to my mind) cabinet exterior surface, that would justify the difference in price, relative to Avatar. Or not...

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I had an avatar SB112. Well made, great sounding cab, but, I *hated* the tweeter in it. Harsh, brittle, ick! Great fast customer service when needed with Avatar. Sold it and bought a Schroeder 1210, which may be the best cab ever made...at least for me;)

I have a Dr Bass BL212 I'm working with right now. Well made, sounds good so far, but time will tell more. Arrived with a broken horn, Dr Bass shipped me a new and improved replacement...I'll have more to report later.
  6. If I were you I wouldn't bother spending the extra money on the BL series, I would just go Rx, which has about the same prices as avatar.