Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Nov 19, 2002.

1. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i've already done a search on this, but i've still got a question. here's the deal: i need an amp to use at home and for some gigs with a blues/funk kind of band (and occassionally a rock band). i'm already in 3 other rock bands and i use my peavey 810 for that. i want something i can keep in my room at home, but still use live for certain applications. i was originally thinking about the 112 cab, but now i'm leaning towards either the 210, or the 115 with the horn. if i get either the 210 or the 115, i'll probably end up adding the other eventually. my question is: which do i get first? quadzilla had said (in another thread) the 210 because of its versatility. but that was before the 115 with the horn. what do you all think?

oh yeah...i use a qsc rmx 850 (bridged mono), ampeg svp pro, and fender mia jazz
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    That's kind of subjective. I have the 210 and it does what I want it to do. I'll probably get a 115 when I find myself wanting more bass/volume. The 15 would go deeper than the 210, and would be about equal in mid-volume. 15's do project different than 10's, so it all boils down to which you like better.

For a blues/funk band a 115 is what I would get first.
  3. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    10s...10s....10s....must have 10s...

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Go with the 10s.
  5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    yeah get the 4x10 you won't be sorry!
  6. im a 12's guy all the way! Its like the best of both worlds! 15's thump, and the 10's quick an versatile nature all in a light weight package.
  7. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Even though I have an Avatar 1x15 and a 2x10, I'm voting for the 1x12. I feel the 2x10 is a bit too week on the bottom and the horns in the Avatars are too trebly to make up for the 15". I really like the 1x15 and 2x10 combination, but as a stand-alone, I think the 12 may be the answer.
  8. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    hmm...what about the 1x12 for gigs? or maybe i could get a 2x12 with a horn custom built (not from dave, but another guy). that could work. what about that idea?
  9. I'm kinda looking for the same thing and I've been looking at EA, Euphonic, Epifani, Acme, and Avatar as well. I think that any of the 3 choices will work for you. I did notice that you have a Peavey 8x10 cab that you use in another band situations. The 2x10 setup will probably have a simular sound ( although not as loud) and will allow you to get your sound more easily. The 1x12 and 1x15 will work of course but these speakers have a different voice from a 10 and may not be as satisfying to you. I think of 10's = punch, 15's = warm, and 12's = somewhere in between.
  10. Carl Brusky

Carl Brusky

Sep 21, 2000
    I have been playing through a Bergantino 3x10. I saw the Avatar stuff and thoughtthat it would be good rehearsal stuff and/or small gig stuff.

Well my Bergie has been sitting for a while now. I found the Avatar stuff has a pretty darn good sound if you power it right. I play in a blues band and it fits well.

I have the Avatar compact 15 under the 1x12 of the same cabinet size. It is powered by a QSC PLX 1202 bridged to mono. I play through a SWR Grand Prix preamp. It has punch and definition. I do think the trick to make them sound good is to have plenty of power feeding them.

I do think the Bergie project better but the Avatar setup can handle more power and sound good doing it.

The Avatar cabinets are nice and light and compact also. The only negatives are the sheet rock screws holding the speakers in place instead of bolts with blind nuts, and the 1/4 connectors instead of speakon connectors. Both of these things will be easily changed when I get the time.

I did have an Eden setup prior to the Bergie. I had the 210XLT ontop of the 115XLT. I liked the Bergie better. Anyway it is your choice and whatever your ears tell you, that;s what you should buy.

For the money you can't beat the Avatar setup. I think I got the two cabs off of ebay for a song brand new. I think they were like 330 delivered to my door for the pair.
  11. Did i just read that you compared Avatar to Begantino, and favorably so?

I must be dreaming that a home grown, bargain basement company has kept pace with a big bucks boutique company? Good for you Dave, I wish Avatar the best!
  12. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    would the 2x10 handle enough power, and have enough low end for a blues/funk band? if i end up with the 2x10, i'll probably add the 1x15 later. i've heard that the compact 1x15 is alittle lacking compared to the regular one. i was thinking about maybe the 1x12 then adding the compact 1x15 later. or i was thinking about having this guy build a 2x12 with a horn for me. well...hmm...i hate trying to decide on these things.
  13. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

absolutely. i had normally been playing mine thru my AMP-bh260 and was impressed, but when i put a speakon jack on the avatar and ran the 1000w from my rack into it i was FLOORED. (this is the 112 by the way)

i think i'm going to go with 2 112's instead of a 112 and 115. my sound isnt real bass heavy, more low middy and growly and clear - so i think i'd rather have the punch of the 12's than the low end of the 15.
  14. Carl Brusky

Carl Brusky

Sep 21, 2000
    I am not saying the Avatar is as good as the Bergie. I am just saying that the Avatars are good for the money, and the two cabinets I use are easier to handle then the one 310 Bergie cab.

Indoors I believe the Avatars sound very good when backed by a wall. But outside the Bergie does a whole lot better.

I think it is in the porting as the Bergir is fron ported and the Avatar is back ported.

I have gotten lazy and prefer to save my back by setting up the two Avatars instead of hauling the one Bergie.
  15. That is cool! I'ma bargainhunter by nature and that pleases me to hear that. I am also a HUGE Bergie fan, so it's doubly good.

I dont think that Av is ever going to make a cab as well designed as the HT 322 IMO, but that doesnt mean that they are bad cabs...epsecially for the bread they charge.
  16. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I think Avatar is awesome because I'm a poor sucker that needs a decent product to make a big bass sound. I know it's not Eden or Bergi, but I also didn't expect that for $249 either...and honestly competing with 2 other guitarists and a loud drummer I'm not sure the difference can really be heard. (that's only my opinion, I'm sure someone will say otherwise...)
    I also saw where Dave is upgrading cabinets a bit--the 4x10 now has a little port along the bottom. He seems to keep making small mods to help the sound. Maybe we could get him to put Speakons on them too...
    I don't have any of his small cabinets, but the 10s sound great.