Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jackbass, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I have read many good reviews on those "cheapy" cabs. someone compared them to eden for sound quality.
    Does anybody tried them?
    Are they really as good as eden cabs? :confused:
    What about other cabs in comparison (ampeg, swr...) ???

Thanks a lot :help:

2. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    I play through two of the 1x12 cabs and they sound great. He is great to deal with as well.

Caveat #1: In my case they sound good with an awesome voiced fretted Elrick 6-string and the best sounding head I have ever heard - a Mesa WalkAbout. A cheaper bass and/or cheaper head may not fare as well.

Caveat #2: That said, I also played through a Bergantino HT112/EX112 pair and it smoked the the Avvies with smoother highs, more even mids, and more balanced and focused lows. I plan to upgrade to the Bergies. Difference in price? $950 vs. $400!

Good luck.

Tom H.

3. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

What he said!

I've got (and regularly use) an Eden D210XLT, EA VL-210, and Avatar 112. The Avatar gets much more use than the other two combined. To me, the EA sounds very little better with a hint more bottom, more defined/pronounced mids and smoother highs. I like the mids on the Avatar better than the Eden, but the Eden carries a little more bottom and top.

The big Avatar advantages? Price and weight! My amp rack (SWR Bass 350), Avatar, and Gramma combined weigh less than the EA! Weigh about the same as the Eden.

COSTS MUCH LESS NEW than the other two USED!

THe Avatar sounds very good, is light, and covers probably 75% of what I do. Two would certainly do more than I'd ever ever need except on the largest of stages.

So what do you want? Same your money? Save your back? Go with two Avatars and carry one for small gigs. Prestige? Go EA, Bergie, Eden, et al.

I'm seriously considering selling a couple of my extra cabs and getting another Avatar. Then taking the left over dough and spending it toward another head.

dcrood

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I wouldnt fear going with Avatar one bit. I really love the tone I get from my Ampeg BXTs... but their ridiculous size and weight are forcing me to make a change, and I plan on going with Avatar.

Another plus is that I will probably ALMOST be able to afford the two Avatar cabs I want with the money I get from selling my Ampeg BXT410 alone. Pretty sweet, huh?

5. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
  6. That's the only place you can buy a new one. Just in case you need a little nudge they offer a full refund if you don't like them and their customer service is top notch.

7. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    If it s as good as you said, it s an incredible offer!
    It seems to be very good stuff for very low price.
    I am not sure they will send me a cab for trying in france.

Does anybody knows ebs cabs in comparison?

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Under "Shipping Info" on the Avatar home page, Dave only ships within the USA.

Shipping a cabinet to France would be very expensive! Even a 2x10, in the shipping box, is too big for the USPS. If it wasn't, shipping would be about $170.

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

Hey how do you like that 2x12/1x15 setup? It looks very cool, and the combination of the two I think would rock! 2 2x12's would be pretty dang awesome as well, I would suppose!!

10. I love these cabs. VERY powerful, room shaking lows. Upper mids are a little lacking but I use EQ to compensate. This setup is surprisingly articulate, not like 10s, but better than one might expect.

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

As much is my love for Mesa Boogie, I may be looking into something big, but portable in the future, so I was just curious. :) I'd like to get a 4x10+2x12 setup. I think that'd be freakin' ideal.

12. I like multiple cabs for portability and flexibility. Sometimes a 4x10 or a 2x12 is all you need.

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Indeed. But I gotta give this cab a good workout for a while before getting rid of it, considering all the shipping fiascos we went through to get it!

14. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

I have that setup. Powered by my QSC bridged at 2400 watts....way loud but clean. I switch between the BMax for clean and the Peavey or dirty tones. Sounds great either way. I'm real close to that Tim Commeford overdrive with my Boss chorus on with the Peavey...to cool cabs anyway.

15. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Awesome. What do you do to switch between preamps, and have both run into the same channel?

That combination of cabs is really intruiging to me... It'd be sweet.

16. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    i have my running into the Boss Chorus, Ibanez Phat Head, then to a Morley ABY switcher/combiner, (disregard the rumors, it works great!), then one line to the BMax and one to the Peavey, (it's an older tube pre, with the gain cranked for awesome overdrive), then I hae a cheap ass Y cable coming out of the pres and into channel one of my QSC. No hum, hiss, buzz...nothin! Sounds great. I use the overdrive for a few different phrases in our songs...small lil lead parts, nothin special. What I really wanted to do was get the overdrive of the Peavey mixed with the huge fat bottom of the BMax...mission accomplished!!! Next step is to get a wireless system and replace all other wires with Monster cable.

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

That's cool! I figured something like that would have to be done. I need another "something" to help get me a specific fat sound for over half of our set, so I may look into that. You have the tube BBE, right?

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've got the Avatar B115H [full size 15 w/tweeter] along with a B210. I would like eventually to get the 4X10 and the 2X12 so that i could get even more options/variety.

I'm feeding these with my rack and it contains:
    Carvin DCM2000 power amp
    SansAmp RBI [upright bass/certain drive tones]
    BBE BassMax T

I definately dig having the RBI-it's the preamp i got when i first got my rack setup. I dig the tones i can get out of it-everything from near old school to bright clean modern tones.

The BMaxT, still haven't had quite enough time to put it through all of it's paces-i like it for electric for sure, upright has yet to be seen. I want to see how much tweaking i can do though-all those knobs make me want to spend hours just seeing what i can find. I like the Sonic Maximizer that is in it-i tend to run just a tad bit of low boost and the processing is about 2 o'clock.

Basses: Ray5 w/maple board [rounds], Fender Jazz [rosewood board] w/flats, Kay Upright w/a fishman pickup.

The cabs sound great when pushed by any of these. When i play the jazz-i have to be careful as the output/apparent volume of that bass is quite hotter than right about anything else i own. I use the 2X10 for jazz gigs where i just want 1 cab, if i have the time/space, i take the 2X10+15 as i really like the sound.

The price/quality ratio is IMO extremely high. If my cabs where stolen-i'd be really ticked off and i'd either hunt down the guys that stole them or just buy new ones.

That's all

19. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Negative...I have the solid state version. I thought I would want the t but after listening to the samples on Basstasters I fiured there wasn't enough difference to me to pay the extra money for the T...besides a fellow TB'er was offering it at a great price so I souldn't pass it up. I love the BMax...I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. It ust has to much to offer. As far as the Peavey is concerned...I may try an Ampeg one day to hear what it sounds like overdriven.

20. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I have a 212 and a 115 too, but honestly, my 115 is in storage because the 212 is loud enough so bringing an extra cab isn't worth the effort. Most of the time the sound guy in my band tells me to turn down at it is :(