Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapinandpopin7, Jul 18, 2005.

1. hey there,
    i tryed doing a search on the 12 inch avatar cab, but it didnt work that well. Im wondering how the 12 inch handles a 5 string bass, i was gonna get a 15 inch cab but cuz of room and stuff the 12 would be better. any reason i shouldnt get it? things i would need to know before i buy it? anything will help really.

thanks alot,
    andy

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I dunno, I never wanted to get just a 15" cab, so I got the 2x12", and I like it. Handles a B just fine, although I haven't ever played through just a 1x15". The 12s don't get muddy when I travel down to B, but they don't seem to as bassy as the 2/4x10 + 1x15 setups as I've used.

3. cool, im matching it up with a carvin 2 10

4. I don't play five string but my drop-d is very powerfull with my Avatar B212.

5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The 12 is a nice cab, good combination of size, weight, tone, and price. You'll find a TON of information on it if you do a search for 'Avatar 12' in titles in this very amps forum. In fact, the hardest thing to do may involve actually reading through all of the threads involving Avatar 112 cabinets on Talkbass.

6. Reggae Eric

Reggae Eric

Jun 24, 2005
    Alabama
    My 1x12 handles my lakland 5 string GREAT!!! Ball grabbing low end... serously!!!. This was one of the questions I had when I ordered it. The guys at Avatar said the 12 would cover the low end and they were right!!!

7. sounds great, thanks alot for all the help, im so stoked about finaly being able to have a kick ass rig, at least for me its pretty kick ass.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have an avatar sb112, and it's a great value for the money. Power handling is great, it'll take that 5 string, no worries.