1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ehinkley, Aug 17, 2007.

1. ehinkley

ehinkley Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Given their price, can I get some opionions from some of you as to the quality and sound of Avatar bass cabs as compared to some higher priced cabs?

2. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't have much experience with other cabs, so I don't really have a basis for comparison, but the new B210 Neo I recently bought sounds really great for the price. Paired with my Eden WTX-260, it sounds really good.

3. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    They compare well to the Ampeg, older Mesa Boogie and Genz Benz cabs I have had in the past. As good if not better than all of those.

I am curious to try some more out though as cabs are the one area I have not tried alot of different ones. I would like to compare them to the Boogie Powerhouses, Dr Bass, Bag End and Ashdowns too.

4. ehinkley

Aug 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Thank you guys for the comments. I'm curious how they stand up to Epifani cabs, though there is quite a price difference there, especially where the UL series is concerned.

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  6. I don't think it would be all that fair to compare the Avatar cabs to those made by Epifani. While I do conscede that sound preference is a personal thing, and thus not really debatable. My experience with my avatar, ampeg, SWR, my one aguilar cab and the epifani UL 210 I am borrowing, leads me to believe that the Aguilar and Epifani companies have gone to great lengths to design and tune their ther enclosures to maximize the efficiency and tonal qualities of their speakers and designs. Avatar makes a wonderful product and I gig my 112 heavily, however there is no comparison to my aguilar 112, when all eq's are run flat.

Avatar cabs are great, compact, rugged cabs with loads of options. They are easily upgradable with a speaker and or tweeter swap. They handle a lot of power and considering their cost, it is hard not to see they are a great deal.

7. ehinkley

Aug 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

8. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    They do seem nice and a great price. I really wish the BR210 and BR115 came in 8 ohms instead of 4 ohm - since I have a LMII and would like to pair one with my 8 ohm 112 cab. I would have already snatched up a BR115.

9. satchmo

satchmo

May 1, 2007
    Toronto
    +1

I like my NEO 212 a lot, but when I compare it with my Eden 210, the Eden blows it away. The AVATAR is a really well constructed cab for the price.

10. yoss

yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    I've been using the old-school Avatars (410 + 115) for going on 4 years now. Through them I've played a Yorkie BM400, Mesa 400+, Sansamp RBI + Power, and soon an Ampeg SVT-II, and they've all sounded amazing. I've played them loud too, against two 100 watt full stacks cranked with a hard hitting drummer to boot, and they've held up just fine.

I think that for the money they can't be beat, especially back then when the 410 was only $249 new.