Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Smithberger, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    What's the scoop? Obviously the price is right, but no one here ever mentions them. Can someone give me the lowdown on tone, volume, etc...compared to the usual suspects.

I am looking to add to my church rig. Currently I am using a Workingman's 2x10 cab with a Stewart World 250 bridged mono and a Sansamp RBI. This setup works fine as a monitor for the PA, but we are looking at taking the bass out of the PA all together to tighten up the sound.

At this point I am looking at an upgrade to, maybe, an Eden D-210T (103 db sensitivity) or adding something like the CB112 to my current cab. It's a very live eliptical room with lots of tile. Filling the space shouldn't take much more than what I have. The trick is hearing myself without blowing away everyone 30 ft away.

2. I just got a CB112T last Saturday.I've had it cranked pretty loud at home and it sounds deep and clear.I'm taking it to practice Wed.and then I'll see how well it fits in the mix,it's almost impossible to tell without being in a band setting.I'm doing a gig Saturday and I'll add it to my 210 XLT for that and I'll be able to get a better idea then.My goal is to get another and leave the Eden at home for most gigs,the Avatar is much easier to haul around.Do a search,their have been a few threads on this cab already.Toranadobass has been giggin with one for a little while and did a review on the Dudepit site.

3. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    How is the volume compared to your Eden? The Avatar website doesn't list sensitivity. The older Eden cabs are listed as 103 db which is about as high as you will find anywhere. Your XLT may be a bit lower since it is a little fuller range than the older ones. Thanks for the tip about the other review, I'll check it out.

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I've got a pair of them-- great cabs. I use them alone for smaller gigs or jazz with my URB. As a pair they move some serious air. Mine are both 8ohm cabs and I was pushing about 450 watts through them with an old QSC MX700 and SWR IOD. They RAWK! :cool:

5. My Eden is 4 ohm and my Avatar also 4 ohm.I'm using a Crown CE1000 so I get 450w.each side.When switching from one to the other with the volumes for each side of the Crown the Eden is louder as it should be but the Eden has two tens and the Avatar is only one twelve.The difference isn't that much though,when using them together they balance out pretty well without having to compensate with the gains on the front of the power amp.The Avatar gives the sound a rounder bottom.I'll see how they work together Saturday,the room we're playing is pretty large.

6. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Alright, I just pulled the trigger and called Dave for a CB112. How are you folks dealing with stacking cabs with these? They seem, from the specs, to be tall and narrow. I will be using a 2x10 SWR cabinet with it. What do you think - tall vertical stack (48 inches) or lay both cabs down for a short stack? Do you think the CB112 sounds boomy if layed down on it's side? I'm sure I'll try it both ways, but I'm curious were you experienced folks have landed.

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    When I use mine together, I lay them on their sides-- tweeters on opposite ends for esthetic reasons. ;) I didn't notice any boominess. I'e also stacked them tall-- it just looks kinda weird with the head hanging off the sides. But they still sound great.

8. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Blues Bass 2 mentioned that I've been using an Avatar 12 cab. Actually, it's only been to one gig so far, but it'll likely go to one next week as well. I most play EUB and got it because I've been using a WM12 and wanted a 12" speaker but with more headroom.

BTW, I also have an Eden D210T. They're quite different sounding cabs. The Eden has the usual midrange bump, the Avatar, I think, is flatter and I need to dial in a bit of extra low mids with my 700RB.

The Avatar 12 is rated for twice as much power (500 watts) as the Eden cab. I'd guess they have a similar loudness, but haven't compared them much...the Eden is at the rehearsal studio lately, while the Avatar is at home.

What else to say...Avatar is a nice value and has a full low end to its sound. I'll know more when it gets to its second gig in a bit larger venue.