Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Sep 20, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'm looking to get a pair of smaller cabs for smaller gigs (my only other cab right now is my goliath senior - so it's either that or my peavey tko :( )

and im definitely going avatar. if the TKO is loud and good sounding enough for most of these gigs, a pair of avatars should rock PLENTY. plus, the price is right.

so my question is, should i get a pair of the compact 12's, or get a compact 12 and compact 15? my plan is to get a 2-300 watt head for smaller stuff vs. my rack. so i'd have:

small head + 1 compact
    small head + 2 compacts
    rack + 2 compacts
    rack + senior

another thing - how easy would it be to add a speakon in to the compact 12?

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Me too! I am seriously looking at a pair of avatar 112s VS a avatar 112 + 15c.

I am realising just exactly how large my b25 cab is right now (ampeg 2x15!!) and I just don't think I can use that without renting a truck or suv.

So has anyone had a chance to compare 2 avatar 112s VS a avatar 112 + 115c?

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd recommend the B112 plus a C115 if you're always going to stack them. If you might put one one either side of the drummer, I'd consider buying two B112s.

The pair together is really wonderful, and I enjoy the heck out of mine. That said, the low lows are lacking but they work just fine with a band.

Adding a Speakon is easy...you need a 15/16 in drill bit (I used a borrowed stepped bit) and a small drill to make holes for screws. I chose to use nuts rather than trying to tap the thin steel jack cup. Had to file the nut flatter on one side to have it fit properly. Lots of steps but none of them particularly difficult. FWIW, I removed one of the phone jacks and replaced it with the Speakon...don't know if there's enough room to keep the 1/4 in. jacks and add...the crossover cap is glued to the jack cup right where you think you have room to drill....so DON'T!!!

Have fun!!!!

4. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Had a revelation today...

A local guy is selling a pair of Eden D210XLTs on Harmony Central. I went to check them out this morning. He encouraged me to bring my bass, my amp and my Avatars to A/B them.

Boy, am I glad that I did!!!! I honestly figured that one of the Edens would blow the B112/C115 combo away...but I was wrong. The low, lows were better with the Avatars, the upper mids were sweeter and the highs clearer without harshness. FWIW, I run the B112's tweeter at about half. Plus, the Avatar pair appear to be more efficient than the Eden as they were noticeably louder at the same level settings on my PLX2402 (these paticular Edens are 4 ohms and is the parallel impedance of my Avatars).

Perhaps it isn't totally fair to compare one D210XLT to the B112/C115 pair, but that's how I'd would have used it.

I'n now happier than ever with them!!!!

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks for the review!! I am getting excited about mine which hopefully will be here in a week or two.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    wow how time flies.

i've had my b112 for a while and added a speakon to it. (should be stock, but i don't mind doing it for how cheap the cab is.) i replaced the bottom 1/4" jack with a speakon plate - should work fine when i get the second cab cos i'll run the speakon from my power amp into the 12 and then a 1/4" out into the second cab.

billy - how punchy/growly would you say the 112+15 combo is? if i really like how the 112 sounds all by itself - should i just get another 12?

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Yes! More details on this combination please!

I am planning on getting either a Genz-Benz GBE500h or a Carviin (R1000 ? I think?) that an acquaintance is selling used, but I refuse to try to use my monster cabinetsss from when I used to gig.

So I was thinking either the Avatar b112 and 15c or trying to copy the Bag End and Nahas pair that Brad sings the praises of.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'n not quite sure how to describe the tone of the two together other than saying the lows are much, much better than either cabinet together. I guess punch is a relative term but they're as punchy or punchier than the Eden I compared them to today (actually I compared them aginst two different Eden D210XLTs). The small 15 cabinet keeps a pretty tight leash on the speaker which I guess would enhance punch.

I originally bought two C15s and then a B112. I am planning on putting the extra 15 up on eBay. It's like new and has been upgraded with the substitution of a speakon for one of the 1/4 in. jacks. Contact me off line if you're interested.

9. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    perhaps just another Avatar small speaker question: Has anyone compared the B112/C15 combo with a like powered 4x10? In a loud band context was there a drop off in volume?