Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OVERDRIVEN66, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Maybe I missed it in a previous thread, but what is this crossover mod I keep hearing about for the Avatar cabs? How is it wired, what does it do, and where do you buy parts? If there is a weak point on these great cabs, it is the crossover. Just got my 2X10 and 1X15 this week, so is the mod necessary on my cabs, or does it just need to be done on the older ones? Thanks!!
  2. It's only necessary if you don't like the sound. I have 4 Avatar cabs and have never felt the need to modify them. I just keep the tweeters set at about 9 o'clock and they sound fine to me.
  3. Overdrive66...As Steve Says...only necessary if the sound bothers you. I have found the horn distortion depends on a multitude of things:
    1. Bass pickups
    2. Strings
    3. EQ settings etc.

I use a 4th Order crossover for my SWR 350x and Avatar B115H cabs however, even with the crossover some basses such as Ernie Ball Stingrays/Sterlings with Active setups will cause the horn to distort at certain EQ's, and My passive J bAss with new Fender Vintage pickups that are hotter output when using TI Jazz flats will at times get some very slight distortion with a certain EQ that is set pretty low. But when I put Elixer Nanowebs on, there is absolutely no distortion what so ever.
    The problem is that the Horn cannot handle lower frequencies and the single cap (6db) 1st order crossover that is used in the Avatar cab can allow lower frequencies to pass through the horn with enough EQ and volume. The single cap is set for a crossover of about 4K hz because it starts passing sound much lower than that and is passing the peak amount at 4 khz. The 4th Order crossover at 3.3Khz has a 24db slope and will allow the horn to be driven closer to the top frequency of the speakers with a minimal amount of the low frequencies that distort the horn to come through. This gives a more connected sound if you use a speaker like the 15" Eminence Kappa Pro LF that tops out at about 2.5KHZ. A delta speaker in a cab will not experience this much as it has a top out of about 4khz I believe. So it really matters as to which cab you have and how much distortion bothers you with your setup.
    The Avatars are a great speaker and the crossover is the only weakness. Dave at Avatar lend awesome customer service and I recommend their speaker for anyone who wants a truly great cab at a truly great price.
  4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    The thread that I think you missed was here.