Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Oct 1, 2003.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Guys, this post is a result of me having nothing better to do than sit around and dream of new products and things I would spend my money on if I had money to spend. Now the disclaimer is out of the way, here is the question: Wouldn't a compact 210 cab from Avatar be a smashing idea. It would be great to stack on the CB112 or CB115. Would this sound good, from the physics of sound standpoint? I'm pretty sure they would fit in the enclosure physically with a tweeter, I just don't know if Dave would build it for me or if I would have to customize an empty cab to meet my needs.

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    Dave can't do custom cab designs..since i think that they are made 100 at a time..so he would hav eto have 100 pre sold before he would do it...and even then,,its hard to tell..

but a compact 2x10 would be cool

3. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    yeah I emailed him and he said he couldn't do it. I would just get an empty cab and customize it if I knew it would sound good. I'm not exactly sure on the physics of the actual cab, etc. All anyone would have to do is replace that front wall of the cab to which the speakers are mounted with another piece of plywood holding the 210s. anyway, a project I might or might not be willing to undertake.

4. This is entirely do-able.

Using a pair of Eminence Legend B102 drivers, the cab would be: 25.20H x 13.75W x 12.625D (inches). Single slot port sized for 0.045 MACH at 45 Hz optimum SBB4 box tuning. I calculate this box would be an honest 99.4 SPL at 1W/1M, 4-ohm total load. Weight is estimated at 66 pounds (MDF) or 52 pounds (Baltic Birch) for wood and drivers. 3/4" material is assume for construction. Add a couple more pounds for screws, grille and jack.
  5. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    The Avatar 2x10 is 25x18x16.5
    The Avatar Compact 15 and 12 are 25.5x17.75x16.5

It's already as "compact" as the 15 and 12, and roughly the same dimensions so they ARE stackable.

Making it any smaller would just kill the low. Plugging bgavin's design in WinISD, the -3dB is at 128Hz! :eek: I don't think it would have anywhere near the punch of the Avatar.

I have an Avatar 2x10 that isn't getting used anymore, but I'm hesitant to sell it because it's such a great cab!
  6. How about an Avatar version of the Epifani 310?

Since we're dreaming here...
  7. An avatar 310 would be awesome.. i would buy it :D
  8. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Osama. I did say smashing. Just a southern boy's longing for some of that British elegance. I suppose the 210 would be just as stackable in the cab it is in. I just get strange ideas sometime.

9. thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    Here's a modification I wish Dave would make. Extend the grille to cover the port/slot, in order to avoid this problem.

You may be suprised at the "punchiness" of the B102 by it's lonesome. I've run the Avatar 210 with 18 db/oct HPF at 100 hz, and it's definately punchy with enough power. Not "earth shaking" or "deep" or "rumbling" etc.., but it's giggable that way. By the time you get to 200 hz, you're really hurting, but it's enough to almost make me wonder if the B102/Sub route could work with just the B102 for 4 string gigs when you don't need the floor shaking lows. It's kinda right there in the critical band though I'd hate to say it would be enough without the sub.
  10. Yes indeed, the F3 is 124 Hz

Did you note the rolloff curve when playing with WinISD? How about taking note of the JBL E140, which is one of the most punchy drivers ever manufactured? It has a very high F3 also.

Punch is also a function of transient response. The Avatar uses an EBS alignment which produces much higher group delay than does the B102.

Group Delay Plots

SPL Plot

If anybody owns a B210, please send me tape measurements of the slot port height, and the slot depth.
  11. The B102 is a perfect match for the Magnum 18LF in a bi-amp configuration. The B102 really shines above 300 Hz, and goes to nearly 9,000 Hz due to the whizzer cone.

I have two B102 and a Magnum 18LF ready for this project, but am too busy trying to earn a living now to build cabs.
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Does the cat affect the sound?
  13. haha...I'm sure it lets out a nice Meow when yah hit the low E;)
  14. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I would buy a 3x10 avatar cabinet...
  15. I'm glad my cat could never possibly fit in the port of my BSE 410hlf
  16. hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH

Congratulations, you just got my wife interested in talkbass. :D
  17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003