Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zoxbassist, Dec 14, 2003.

1. zoxbassist

zoxbassist

Dec 13, 2003
    Providence, RI
    I am in the process of upgrading my cabinets. I learned about Avatar cabinets through this website and they seem like a great deal. However, from the little I know of frequency response, it seems that these cabinets aren't tuned low enough to handle my low B (which is played forcefully at Zox gigs). Is Avatar's high frequency tuning a reason to not purchase their cabs?

2. if you use their cabs that just have 10's you might not like it for the B string, but you can always add a 2x12 or 1x15 to some 10's for the low end back up.

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Avatar is not alone in this; many commercial cabs are tuned pretty high compared to 30hz. Anything that IS tuned low will take a lot of power to make much volume (which means more money). IMO, most folks choose loud over low because it's cheaper and easier to find.

4. This is true. I'm running an Acme Low B-4 with a DPC1400X. I get some serious low end out of this thing (I usually end up cutting some lows as they can get too loud). A pair of these cabs (4 ohm versions) and a QSC PLX3402 with the pre-amp of your choice would be DEVASTATING in a hard rock/metal band. If you want low, check out Acme.

http://www.acmebass.com/

edit: I just read one of your other posts about the type of music you're playing. A single B-4 or a pair of B-2's with around 1000 watts of power would suit you well.