Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fraggs5, Apr 14, 2005.

1. fraggs5

fraggs5

Mar 27, 2005
    I am in the market for a new cab, and so far, ive been leaning towards the Hartke 410XL and 410TP. However, I just looked into avatar cabs, because I see alot of people talking about how good they are, but I see most of them play jazz and funk. I play alt rock, modern punk (thrice, senses fail, finch) some RHCP and others. Would an avatar be a nice match, and/or where can i go play one?

FYI, I would be powering it with either a hartke 3500 or 7000.

2. get the Avatar 410, good bang for the buck and it should fit your needs.

3. fraggs5

fraggs5

Mar 27, 2005
    Im assuming the Neodymium is worth the extra few bucks...

4. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    what kind of tone are you after? the pro cab offers the most low end of the 4x10s with a scooped mid range. the delta i hear is the 4x10 with the most mid range and the neo cab is right in between the 2. ive heard of a lotta guys using avatar cabs for rock and punk.

you cant test them before you play them but dave gives a 14 day trial period i believe. so if you arent satisfied you can return the cab.

5. fraggs5

fraggs5

Mar 27, 2005
    I prefer a balanced sound, with very rich tone (obviously not for thrice, but when it comes to pink floyd and RHCP...) . What attracted me to Hartke was its punchiness and brightness. I was gonna go ampeg at first, but I found them dull (im gonna get flamed for that comment) compared to the sharpness and midrange of the Hartke aluminum. I need something that has good punchyness, and can really cut through a mix, yet still deliver good tone, and in the case I use the 7000 on it, take alot of juice.

That said, can anybody give me an Idea where they fit in sound compared to Hartke, Ampeg, SWR, GK...(more common brands)

Thanks

6. I've found that Hartke aluminum cabs begin to break up and fart if you ever need to get a deep low sound going. I have eminence neos in a 2x10 cab and they have a lot more lows than the deltas. They're very balanced and will pretty much make whatever sound you EQ.

7. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    from what i hear avatar is better quality all around then hartke. the 4x10 pro will be the "punchiest" cab due to the natural mid scoop. when i say punchy i mean percussive. it will also have nice rich lows but once again the mids will be lacking. if you really want a "balanced" sound i would highly reccomend a 2x12 cab with a 2x10 delta on top. the 12's will give your bass a full rich tone while the 10's will growl and punch thru the mix. both cabs would be very portable too. ;) i am huge fan of 4x10's but ever since i played thru 12s i am hooked.

8. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    If you go with the Hartke...be aware that their transport series doesn't handle a lot of wattage. My cones on my 4x10 hartke broke down pretty quickly. I don't know how tough their other series are, though. I play punk music like you and I just recently got an Avatar 2x10 (4 ohm)and am pretty happy with it. It can handle a surprising amount of wattage (My Mesa 400+ up to 7) without farting out. I just ordered a 4x10 Delta from Avatar and I'm waiting for it to come (maybe tomorrow!) :hyper: I can't wait to try it at a gig...I'm hoping for a little more oomph with 4 10's instead of 2. I used to use an Ampeg 8x10...but my back can't take it anymore and I don't wanna buy a dumptruck to haul it around!

9. fraggs5

fraggs5

Mar 27, 2005
    Sounds like i was about to make a big mistake. Well, thanks for the help guys, looks like an avatar for me. maybe a 212

10. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    i bought the 2x10 delta when i was in my punk band now im in a rock n roll band and i still use it, i want to get a 2x12 to add under it!

It will be fine, probally really good.

11. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I play all kinds of punk and rock (rancid, chili peppers, pearl jam)

The 4x10 delta is a great cab to use by itself, its lacking a little in the low end growl, but the midrange and highs are right in your face.

this cab gives me all the tone and volume I need. For now...

12. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    A 410 would be good but you would be missing some low end. I would get a 210 for their punchiness and a 212 for the low end and mid range. Which is good because Avatar is planning to make a 212 Neo model, so its gonna be even lighter.

13. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    is there an echo in here? :p

hey fraggs whats your budget btw? a 2x12 could do the job by itself so if you couldnt afford to buy both cabs i would suggest buying the 2x12 and saving up for the 2x10.

14. carcrashset

carcrashset

Mar 16, 2005
    Here is one more vote for the 4x10. I used to play in a noise-rock band (think lightning bolt and big black) and the avatar was able to keep up with all the abuse i'd put it through. I've blown edens, mesas, peaveys but could never dent the avatar. It is solid, loud, cheap as hell. Oh and they sound good but we never really wanted to sound good. ;)

15. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    go the 210pro on top of a B212 .. best of both worlds, punch and growl from the 210 and round full lows from the 212. I use this setup for rock pop and its awesome.. just make sure you give 'em good headroom...

and it will look a little like this (my rig):

[​IMG]

16. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I would get the Pro Series 210 and a 15. Really great set-up there

17. fraggs5

fraggs5

Mar 27, 2005
    alright, if I power this with a hartke 7000, i have 350 X 2 into 4 ohms each. What would be the best way to go? I was thinking get the 212 (but i want a neo cab, i wonder if hell make one). So I could power that at first with one channel, with no crossover, and then when I eventually add the 210 neo, i could put that on the highs and the 212 on the lows...oh the utopia!

So, starting with the 212, i should go 4 ohm, right?

edit: If he cant do a neo 212, maybe Ill start with the neo 210 and ill wait till he will make one then get the 212 with neos. Thoughts?

18. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    since you would be running a stereo head i believe you could run each cab seperately at 4 ohms. someone please correct me if im wrong. you could get the 2x10 first but it might not be enough for a punk/rock band situation where the 2x12 would be enough. keep in mind neo speakers are a fairly new technology. i dont think your sound would benefit that much with neo speakers. its more of a weight saver. avatar doesnt have neo speakers in their 2x12 cabs yet.

19. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Actually, if you go to the Eminence web site, you'll see that the frequency response of the 10" NEO speaker runs from 40 Hz to 3.5 kHz....deeper AND higher response than the delta and pro.

Add to that the 30 lbs difference.......

20. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    There is a recent thread on using the Avatar 210 by itself. It's a good cab, but it doesn't have sufficient bottom for anything other than maybe some light jazz, folk, etc. The 410 NEO is the way to go, unless Dave does build a 212 NEO.