Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avatar..........good for the money or just plain good???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panic_striken, Jan 2, 2006.

1. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I know alot of people brag on Avatar around here, but is it just because they are such a bargain??? Or can these little known wonders be put up there with Aggie, Eden, and such???

2. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    I've only heard the guitar cabinets and would say they fit the "good for the money" category. I can't see why the bass cabs would be any different.

3. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Maybe it's because I've never tasted the fillet of cabinets that my Big Mac cab is such a satisfying sandwich.

4. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    I think my 2x12 is good

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The T/S specs that Avatar uses are the same ones everyone else does in their cabinet designs, so if loaded with the same drivers there's not going to be a lot of difference in the sound.

6. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I was thinking of getting one of the 4x10 Delta's to run with my Genz Benz GBE500H. I'll get the 4ohm, and push 400 watts through it. Later I might add a 1x15 or 2x12 4ohm, and knock it down to 2ohms pushin' 525 watts :bassist:

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    My Avatar has been through a lot and, with the exception of the blown tweeter, it has held up quite well. I ended up purchasing a new crossover and tweeter from Avatar and now I have no complaints at all. It is solidly constructed and, if you like Eminence speakers, which I most certainly DO, you will like Avatar cabs in all likelihood.

Are they "as good" as Bergies, Edens, EBS, etc? Define "good". They aren't in the same range or "class" as the aforementioned (and, given the choice to have one for free, I'd take a Bergie), but they sure do seem to hold up well and they sound great.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    IMHO, they don't hold up against the higher priced competition, but at their price point, they shouldn't have to.

9. I think its a prime candidate for the 20/80% rule, which is this: the final 20% will cost you 80% of the over-all cost.

I actually prefer the sound of this cab to all the others I've tried, including the Schroeder 1210, Bergs, Markbass, GB etc. After I bought my Avatar B410 Pro I modified the cross-over which added cost to the final product. So really, mine cost me more than a stock cab, which gets it a little closer in price to a boutique cab, but still WAY cheaper. And to my ears, gives me the sound and volume I was looking for. And as I've said before, I am now receiving compliments on my tone - which never happened before.

So really, is the final 20% (or 10%, or 5%) really worth the added cost? Especially considering your cab is mostly used as a personal monitor for you since you're probably going DI in most gigs anyway - which means the audience doesn't even hear your cab.

- Andrew

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Andrew brings up a very good point. In the overall scheme of things this is the order of where the expenses lie in the average speakers cost, highest to lowest:

1. Marketing, which includes advertising and promotion/endorsements.
    2. Manufacturer profit.
    3. Dealer profit.
    4. Labor costs
    5. Components/supplies costs
    6. Sales overhead and shipping .

Some of these are fixed, such as # 2, 4, 5. In the case of Avatar and other direct sales companies you eliminate #3 from the equation, and #6 is cut literally in half, since with no retailer involved you only have to pay one shipping charge, from the manufacturer to you, and one sales charge, instead of also paying what it costs the retailer to buy the cab from the manufacturer and have it shipped first to him and then to you. Companies that don't advertise in expensive media, such as magazines, and don't pay endorsees can whittle #1 down by some 90%. Add all these up and it's easy to see how you can get virtually the same product from two different sources that have a 2:1 or more cost per cabinet ratio.

11. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    If only they would de-burr the edges of the metal grill they would be right up there. Or break-form a rolled over edge on the grill. If someone accidentally grabs the cabinet by the front edge and their fingers touch the sharp jagged metal, their fingers will be shredded. I guarrentee your guitar player will never help you move your gear again.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I really like my avatar b212. :)

13. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Avatars are very good cabinets. The boutique cabinets can beat them and be smaller at the same time, but I prefer the Avatars to all of the "regular" cabinets. Granted, a major part of this is choosing a head that works with your cabinets as even some boutique cabinets do not always align well with particular amps.

14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Just Plain Good. The insanely low price is a side benefit. ;)

15. I have a B212 DeltaLF and a B410 Neo. The B212 sounds good, but it has an agressively voiced mid bump somewhere that can be hard to dial out with the simple 3-band EQ on my head. It makes a good cab for loud music and cutting through, although I'll admit I don't always like that cut through tones. The B410 Neo is much nicer sounding to me and is the cabinet I would pick to use in a solo or jazz situation. It doesn't get the aggresive mid bump and is much smoother sounding. It has the original 1st-order crossover, which put plainly, sounds aweful compared to the 4th-order I put in the 212. It's sounds like the tens are doing their thing and then the horn was tagged on as an afterthought and is doing it's own thing.
    As mentioned by others, I think that last 20% rule applies to Avatar. The finish on the cabs is clean and tidy but the quality of the carpet, grill, and jackplate does not compare to those found on more expensive brands. The actual wood, construction, and finish work is comparable. It's like the difference between a Fender and a Sadowsky. They both sound good but Sadowsky adds a little something that just screams quality and expensive at you, without ever seeing a pricetag.

16. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    My friends, we have become spoiled.

Those of us who came up in the sixties and seventies remember huge, heavy speakers and huge, heavy amp heads. If it wasn't huge and heavy it didn't sound good, especially if you wanted to turn it up. You would pay hundreds of dollars for that Sunn 2-15 cab with D140s. It would barely fit in the back seat of your Oldsmobile, but its size and weight made it extremely efficient, which you needed because the biggest amp head you could afford only put out 100 watts.

I've used 1-15 combos for the last twenty years, as I don't play loud music any more. Last month I got an SB112 Neo from Avatar. Best speaker I've ever had. Pretty neutral sounding (that's what I wanted) and capable of going pretty freakin' loud, handles 300 W, and it's small and light.

I think billfitzmaurice really hit the nail on the head: Building speakers is a matter of following well-known parameters competently. There are no secrets. Use good materials and good workmanship, and cut costs where you can.

17. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I wish the avatars were more efficient. Thought they are good for the price.

18. I just have a question, has anyone played a CD through for example a pair of SB112Neo or 2x10 ? I mean do they sound decently full range and flat ? Could they be used for a PA too ? I'm considering a pair of these for electric bass, using my Coda 2R, but I would like to be able to use them for a small PA setup at times, and also I like the very pure, tight and controlled tone that properly designed full range speakers have.

Thanks in advance !

19. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    The Eminence speakers they use are PA/Bass speakers, and with the newer crossovers, you get a good smooth blend between the highs and lows.

So sure, why not.

20. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I wish they would lose the carpeting and go with tolex, or at least make tolex a standard option. Seems like they may be heading in that direction. When they do, I will buy a cab from them.