Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    $259. That's what I paid to get a brand new Avatar 2x10 cab shipped to my door. Is it good, you ask? I've owned Ampeg, SWR, Eden, Trace Elliot, and Yorkville gear in my days and I enjoy the tone and features as much as anything I've owned----regardless of price! 700watts at 4 ohms, sunken handles, speakon jack, what more could I possibly ask for? All this and Dave answers the phone personally--when I asked for a 4 ohm cab and not an 8 ohm cab, he actually sounded relieved because the 4 shipped that day and if I wanted the 8 I would have had to wait until the next. Amazing. Buy without fear and $$$$AVE BIG!
  2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Welcome to the club :hyper:
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

My name is David and I'm am a......um....er...cough, cough.......Avatar speaker user!! :D Welcome to the club dude! I own a 2x10 and a 1x15! Love 'em both! :bassist:
  4. Welcome to the club! I have a B115 to match up with my (other brand) 4x10. Sounds great! I plan on getting two sb112 cabs in the near future to increase my options.

I haven't tried the top end cabs (Bergs, Eden....) but to my ears these cabs sound freakin awesome.
  5. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    How does it compare to a Goliath Jr., do you think?

6. I haven't A/B the Goliath Jr. and the Avatar myself but I have read posts that go two ways. Some think they are evenly matched and some think the Avatar falls a little short. I don't remember the specific tonal issues so I guess I just wasted both of our time. Sorry!
  7. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've actually kind of heard the same thing. I have a feeling I'm going to wind up with a Goliath Jr. again...
  8. You could buy the Avatar 2x10 and return it if it isn't to your liking. That way you can answer your own question once and for all and possibly save a bunch of money.
  9. I talked to Dave about some stuff last night and I'm ordering my B410 tommorrow, and I'll be ordering my B115 in about 2 weeks...

10. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    What did he say about the cabs and how they work together?
  11. Good job on the Avatar man! i want a B410. (not to hijack your thread or anything but) Does anyone have it? How is the portability
  12. well I mostly just talked to him about the construction of the B410, mostly stuff that you can read online...and he actually made me a good deal on the 410 as if it could get any better!

all my info as far as going with the 115 I've got from searching forums on here...
  13. The 410 is a little hard to move around as the speakers have 56oz. magnets in them and Avatars are about an inch or 2 bigger than others but they're not as deep as say the SWR 410's. But if you have any kind of caster system it's fine. It's a little hard to handle picking one up yourself and putting into a small car or high truck, unless there's someone there to help you ;) . Avatar has a lot of cab choices so there's no rush or worry :) .
  14. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Well it would be appreciated If when you get it you can review it. :)
  15. Anyone know how (2) 2x10 cabs sound in comparison to the 4x10 cab.
  16. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Hmmm...I have the 410 and the 212...as far as portability goes I work for FedEx and lift heavy stuff all day long so lifting one more thing at night dosn't seem to bad for me. However...it is heavy and I think you could launch it into the side of a tank and it would come out smelling like a rose. They sound awesome together...I have a Hartke 4000 powering them at 400 watts at 4 ohms. Plenty of low end fat punchy warmth a la 212, and with the 410 cutting through with the mids....oh joy!
  17. my rig will be as follows when I finish ordering my Avs...

excel 8 space rack>
    Furman RR-15>
    Korg DTR-2>
    Presonus Bluemax>
    Sansamp RBI (may upgrade to Ampeg CL pre or Aguilar later on)>
    vent space>
    Carvin DCM1500>
    Avatar 410> /running in parrallel mode

that's my rig so far...I should be able to give a review with just the 410 on saturday because I have a gig friday night.
  18. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I've been using the 410 for almost 2 years now...got it when they were rear-ported. It's been a fantastic cab, very dependable, and being rated at over 1000watts I have never needed anymore than what it can put out on stage. Anything more is covered via a PA. Many argue it's ability to reproduce the low "B" and for me it does just fine....however, while I do play strictly 5-strings, I don't live on the "B" string so it's not so critical to me.
    It is a heavy cab, but that's been stated already. I had also planned to add a 15" cab to it as my main set-up, but I have been so happy with the 10s that I don't see a need (for me).

Guess what I'm saying is after gigging with the Avatar B410 since June 2002 I haven't had any GAS to replace it. Preamps are a whole different story.... ;)
  19. what kind of pre have you been using?
  20. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I got a 4ohm Avatar B210 a few days ago and finally got to use it in a live situation. I have been using a Hartke Transporter 4x10 but wanted something smaller. I carried both to the gig and got to A/B them while playing. The Avatar is definetly louder and punchier but the Hartke handles a B string better. That's won't be a problem because I don't live on the B (like TxBass said earlier.) I played in a 3 piece setting with a loud guitarist and an agressive drummer and it worked just fine. Both of them preferred the sound of the Avatar. BTW, I use a Brice 5 string (Ash/Maple) a Behringer head with an Art Levelar as a preamp. Low budget but it's cool.