Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by istaticl, Apr 16, 2003.

1. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I just got an Avatar 210 to add to my Ampeg 15 and it sounds great. The one thing that I have a problem with is the horn. For anyone who has a Avatar cab with a horn, do u get loud hissing when the horn volume is above 1/3 and your amp is at a high volume? I've had to turn the volume on the horn to almost nothing just becaseu the hiss is so annoying. Is it a defective horn or is that normal?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I have a B112 and don't have the hissing problem.

I'd say it's noise that has probably been there all along but only now do you have gear that will allow the high frequencies to be heard.

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    No hissing problem with mine - FWIW, however, I find that my Avatar b410 is voiced higher than other 4x10 cabs I've used, so I keep the tweeter control down below 1/3 anyway (I run my Goliath's tweeter knob at about 12:00, in contrast, and turn the Avatar's tweet off when paired with the Goliath). With a 15 in the mix, I imagine you might want a bit more than that, but I don't think you'd need to go full-on to get a good, snappy high end. That's just my personal taste, of course, but something to think about... :)

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    istatic,

The horn in my cab is hissy too. I think it is normal. I keep the tweeter turned down.

5. Both my B210 and B212 have horns and get hissey if I turn the control past 1/3. I just leave it down...they put out enough at that level anyway (for my taste).

6. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Yeah my 2x10 tweeter hissed a lot....until I destroyed it :bassist: I usually kept it turned down pretty low and it still put out decent highs. My replacement is pretty good though, doesn't hiss as much. I got it from Speaker Hole, it was dirt cheap too, but it wasn't the exact same size, so I had to make some new holes :(

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I run my tweeter controls pretty low. Hiss is just a natural byproduct have having speakers with an ability to produce high frequencies.

Horn tweeters are very efficient and if your amp is noisy, what leaves the amp will be converted to sound by the speakers.

I don't know if a noise gate would help...

8. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    yep...just what he said:D

9. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Yup, mine have 'hissy fits' too!

10. wblaze

wblaze

Apr 26, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How does the Avatar b210 stack on top of the Ampeg SVT-15e? Any troubles? (The Avatar is 25" wide and the Ampeg is 24".)

I've got the same rig and am thinking about adding the Avatar 210 or the Ampeg 210....

Thanks!

11. hey,can you tell me how good the b112's mids,highs,and lows are? I am thinking of considering this,and a cheap used head...

thanks!
    -Jon:oops:

12. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Stacks just fine for me. The B210 is a little deeper, and about a 1/4 inch wider on both sides. Its very sturdy though, it would take a large hit for it to get knocked off.

13. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I would qualify my comments by saying that my tastes are not the norm. I bought my B112 because of the size, weight, and price, and planned to use it biamped on top of subwoofers.

It does a fine job of mids and highs, seems to be pretty flat and his decent transient response. The construction is excellent and the price was reasonable. I don't believe they will be sold anymore however, as it has been replaced by the new Delta version (taller, different speaker, better lows).

For lows, I don't recommend any cabinet that is not flat (+/- 2 db or so) to my lowest note (40hz=4 string or 30hz=5 string). The B112 doesn't do that. In all fairness, probably 95% of the cabs on the market don't meet that criteria either and often quote "Useable Range" which may be +/- 10db (or whatever). Other folks seem to be happy with other criteria.

14. I was thinking of a 12 and a 15...but thats later...I'll prob just get a combo

15. I struggled with my tone all last week on my B212 until I finally turned the tweeter nearly off - last night in rehearsal it sounded great. Previously it was producing lots of noise (hiss) and undesireable high end clacking (because of my poor technique being highlighted!) I had it set at about 12. Now i have it set to maybe 7.

The tweeter is really sensitive and I'm not sure if it's necessary as the 12 are capable of handling a really wide range.

16. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I finally turned off the tweeter on my SWR WM2x10 because of the hiss and noise. Don't really need it for rock and roll tone :bassist: