Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ghetto911, Aug 17, 2003.

1. ghetto911

ghetto911

Jan 28, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Hi everyone. This is the first time I've started a thread, and only about my fifth post, so go easy on me. Anyway, I am in need of a new amp. I currently have a Crate BX-100 combo. It isn't really quite loud enough for my band, and it doesn't really sound all that great to my ears. I was thinking of replacing it with a used GK 800 RB run through an Avatar B212.

Just to let you know, I will be competing with a 100-watt Marshall stack and a drumset, and my band plans to add in another guitar sometime fairly soon. I'm wondering if anyone with more experience than me could give me some feedback. Hopefully the amp will sound good (my dream is an SVT CL, but I can live with a different sound) and will be able to keep up with the band. Oh, I was also thinking that in the future I'd add in a B210 to use the 800 RB's bi-amping capabilities. So, comments and ideas will be greatly appreciated.

PS- I don't want to go over $1000, and I'm really hoping to stay below $800.

2. Haveny played one but a used Carvin R1000 is less then $700 since $700 is new. That's 1000 watts with quite a EQ.

3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ghetto, I'm currently using the exact rig you're talking about. Mainly I use just the B212 & 800RB. Be sure and get the 4 ohm version with Delta speakers. This is a loud, bass-heavy sound and is fairly portable with casters on the cab. When you're ready to add on, the B210 in the 8 ohm version is the perfect add-on. The 210 cab has tons of midrange punch and high-end to compliment the 212. This combo also gets 400 watts out of the GK amp so its power is used to maximum advantage and you can bi-amp with no additional components. A 100 watt Marshall stack is WAY LOUD if cranked, but the 212-210-GK rig is too.

I've been playing bass for 32 years and have owned SVTs, Marshalls, GKs, Peaveys, etc. I don't work for GK or Avatar, just a happy customer.

Alan

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    you would want the 8-ohm version, so you can add the 8 ohm 2x10. if the GK can run 2 ohms, then you could get the 4 ohm 2x12 and the 4 ohm 2x10.

5. I am currently using an 800rb with an Avatar 1x15 and 2x10. The sound is decent, but I am not totally satisfied. I love the 800rb, and if that is the head you have decided on, good choice. The amp only puts out 300w @ 4 ohms unless you biamp, so you may want to get a cab that is a little closer match to the amp. The best I have ever heard my GK 800rb sound was on top of a Hartke 4x10(240w) and Hartke 1x15 (180w). I am not sure of the power rating for the 2x12 but if it is like my Avatars it is high. The GK sounds good with Upright too. Just my 2 cents. Later.

6. ghetto911

ghetto911

Jan 28, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Your comments are much appreciated. My parents have actually provided me with some money, so I'm about half way to owning a new amp. Tallboybass, that is exactly what I was planning on doing. I'm glad to hear that this setup is working for you, and I think my mind is totally made up now. I'm glad to know that this forum works so well. By the way, if I seem a little incoherent, it's because I'm on painkillers for a tonsilectomy. Anyhow, thanks again everyone.

7. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ghetto, you don't sound incoherent at all. (but maybe that's because I'm on painkillers too.........motorcycle accident) Let me know if you need more info.

Alan

8. your very vague, when you say marshall stack, half stack? tube marshall? alot of the marshall heads are weak as crap, i could drown them out with a 120watt tube guitar head(peavey 5150) through my avatar 4x10 agaisnt a full stack marshall SS head. but hey if hes got a full stack with a marshall tsl100, you got another thing coming. My advice get the most f'in watts you can and the best speaker efficency. my avatar is notoriously efficent, i use 700watts through it now and it drowns when needed.

9. ghetto911

ghetto911

Jan 28, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Sorry, that was actually quite vague. It's really not the most powerful guitar amp on the planet, just a stupid MG-100 DFX thing running through a Marshall 4x12 cabinet. I'm not sure if it's even running at 4 ohms. But it is certainly much louder than I can really deal with right now. I am hard pressed to keep up with the drums when there is no guitar or vocals happening, so it's time for more power. Oh, I occasionally play with someone who uses a JCM-800, but he really keeps the volume down.

Now, I've heard rumors that Avatar speakers don't sound too great if they're being significantly underpowered. I'm assuming that it's not a huge issue with the setup I have planned, because browsing through the archives today I found that multiple TBer's do use this setup. Tallboybass, sorry to hear about your accident. Gotta love those painkillers, though. Warn me if you have any major concerns with your amp.

10. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    The Avatars are very efficient. 300-400 watts is VERY loud. You should be able to make the drummer run for his earplugs. The 800RB has a very warm sound that doesn't crack up all at once like most SS amps. Mine hasn't given me any problems in the 15 years I've owned it. I used to run it through a Hartke 410 & Mesa 115 and I like the Avatars better!

11. my last guitarist had that same head with an avatar 4x10, very weak-i'd kill him so easily it wasnt even funny, you really should be fine with 4 speakers, just put at least 200 watts each and you should be fine.

12. Everyone is right. I'm powering my Avatar 212 and 210 w/ my SVT-2 Pro and when I crank that thing it's stupid loud. Seriously, you should be able to destroy all if you put a decent amount of power through these cabs. They rule, and I love them!

Rock.
    Pat

13. BassBoyLeroy
    I'm assuming both of your cabs are 4 ohms, correct?

tallboybass
    My concern for my son (who has a 800RB) is if the 100 watt section can sufficiently and efficiently power an Avatar 2-10 cab. I had decided today that he should probably get a 1-15 4 ohm cab & a 2-10 8 ohm cab. If he ever goes for a bigger rig he could get another 2-10 cab and have two 4 ohm setups that could go 2 ohm with the right amp. Does this make sense? Curious to know how the 300 watts powers the 2-12 cab. I'm always worried about under-powering these Avatars. They're rated sooooo high. And why the 2-12 over the 1-15?

PS Do you actually biamp or are you running full range on both amp sections?

14. BoB, both of my cabs are 8 ohms.

15. 300SS watts will be pretty decent, but like i suggest KICK IT UP A NOTCH!, if u can afford it more watts man!

16. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    BoB, I haven't played through an Avatar 15 but I used to have a Mesa 15 and the Avatar 212 KILLS it as far as low-end is concerned. The 212 can be used as a standalone also. That's why I recommend the 212, plus I think the 212 is more efficient than the 15. Don't worry about the wattage ratings, that just tells you the maximum amount of power you can run. Efficiency is what you should be concerned with and the Avatars are efficient. I ran a 410 and 115 for many years off of the 300w side in full range mode and it worked fine. Now I run just the 212 unless I need more power or a more aggressive sound then I add the 210 and bi-amp. SOUNDS AWESOME!

17. So many opinions. This becomes very confusing!

One says it sounds better han a Hartke setup, One says the hartke sounded better. One says go with 1=15 & 2-10's another says the 2-12's sounds better than the 1-15. What's a guy to do?

I was talking to a friend of mine last night who is a BIG Ampeg fan. (He has never heard an Avatar cab but claims he has heard that they are over-rated and don't have the quality "tone" of the big boys). He played with SVT's years ago. Stopped playing for a LONG time and recently started playing again. He actually loaned my son a rig on July 21 (the day right after the second speaker blew) for a "Battle of the Bands". My son used a SVT 3pro head with a SVT 4-10 & Svt 1-15 cab and my son sounded AWESOME. (This guy has aquired TWO Svt 2 heads (NOT the SVT 2 PRO) and several of the above mentiond cabs) He has agreed to sell me one of the 4-10 cabs pretty cheap. This will give me something for my son to check out AND take some of the pressure off to make a decision. My son is currently back using his Peavey 1-10 practice amp with the band. He NEEDS something right away and this will give us breathing room.

18. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    go for the gk 700rb instead of the 800. It is louder.

My 700rb has smacked many amps much louder. My SWR sm900 is moderately louder.

19. I don't voice my opinion in here much because soooo many guys know much more than me and I don't want to sound stupid.

I don't think the GK 800 would sufficiently power a 1000watt cab.

Don't get me wrong it will still be loud, but it really doesn't push the cabs. I would try to find a nice cab that is rated 400watts or less.

I will say it again.(my opinion of course) I have played my head with about 10 different cabs and the Hartke, believe it or not, and a Peavey 4x10 sounded the best so far. The other cabs I had just seemed to crave too much power.

This isn't saying Avatar is bad, it just didn't match my 800rb that well.

I have since learned that in the future I am going to just hold on to my money until I can afford the gear I truly want. If you have the chance to pick up the Ampeg cheap, it would probably satisfy your ears and be a good start. I could be wrong, and i do not pretend to be an expert so take it for what it is worth.

20. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    The Avatar 2X12 would win a "most air moved for the buck" contest. Get the 8-ohm. As I said on the TDPRI, the difference in volume, while noticable, should not be the determining factor here. Think long term, with other cabs and another amp.