1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndrewShirley, Sep 13, 2008.

1. I'm thinking of picking up an Avatar Neo 210. I purchased my B410 Kappa Pro from SteamCo Music in Canada a few years back and was pretty happy with their service.

However, today when I compare prices from Avatar and Steamco, I'm pretty shocked at the difference:

$289 USD from Avatar: http://www.avatarspeakers.com/B210 NEO.htm

$449 CAD from Steamco: http://www.steamcomusic.com/avatar/documents/b210n.html

It seems Steamco's prices are $160 higher! The US-->CAD conversion is about par so I can't understand the $160 difference.

Anyhoo, I'm looking for an alternate Canadian Avatar dealer, perhaps a little closer to Toronto.

Any suggestions?

- Andrew

2. How close are you to the 1000 islands international bridge?

3. As far as I know, Winnipeg based Steamco is the only Avatar dealer in Canada.

4. I'd suggest you let Steamco guys know about the difference and I am sure they will adjust or give you a better deal. These guys are really serious and offer great service. Avatar products are really good too !

But, if you want MarkBass neo cabinets, I highly suggest you go see Dave at Club Bass in Toronto. Dave is simply the best dealer in Canada for Bass gear ! I always go through him for any gear I need now. He understands our needs and has great gear.

But, if you really want Avatar, Steamco guys are great too !

5. So you've tried the two? It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the these.. please share :)

I'm not 100% decided on Avatar - it makes no real difference. What I DO know is that my B410 Kappa Pro is a pretty good cab and the neo's are supposed to be better.

I tried Markbass (and Schroeder) before buying the Avatar and wasn't completely sold, however at that time, I had no idea what tone/sound I was going for.

I'm playing a Sterling --> VTBass --> Yorkville XS400H --> Avatar B410 Kappa Pro

I'm looking for something throaty, slightly agressive. ATM my setup is "good" but not great.

Maybe its time I go talk to Dave again.

- Andrew

6. I was just in there today! Great guy (let me just hang out while waiting for my brother).

7. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    I believe the extra charges at Steamco
    includes duty,brokerage,also you only pay one tax (GST)
    plus shipping,at least in my experience buying from Steamco,
    however i've become a total Dr.Bass fan,Marc ships to Canada
    via USPS-Canada post,my last purchase dr.bass arrived with
    only charges for GST due..

hope this helps

8. Andrew,

I had the 210 Neo and the 410 Neo from Avatar as well as the 210 Avatar. I sincerely believe the MarkBass is far superior in Tone and definition over the Avatar. That explains the price difference too. I found the Avatar to be way too bright for me and did not offer the mids I was looking for. With overdrive, these cabs were not producing the Tone I was expecting. But, the Markbass immediately satisfied my need. I use my MarkBass ( 210 and 410 ) with the LMK11 as well so it might be different over your Yorkville head. I also had a XS800 head as well. Very powerful head, but once again, as soon as I found the MarkBass, I let that one go so much it offered a right-on Tone without any tweaking.

My two cents. Hope this helps.

Remember one thing, if Dave at Club Bass is selling MarkBass products, that is because these are great products. He does not sell something that does not deliver quality.

Hope this helps !

9. Dave's the Man!:bassist: