1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Avatar? ...Is it just a "Knockoff" ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkBG, Mar 23, 2009.

1. MarkBG

MarkBG

Mar 2, 2009
    I have been seriously considering an Avatar ,,probably a New 410 Neo. Seems reasonably priced,and have good reviews. ..But how are these generally considered in the big picture? Are Avatars well respected as real players or should I hold out for something like an Eden D410XLT , or Bergantino ,etc or similar name brand,even if used? I will definitely be gigging with it.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They are generally thought of as "a lot of bang for your buck", good working-class troopers. Not in the same league as the boutique brands, but probably as good as any mid-priced Ampeg, Hartke, etc. There are some Avatars in the TB classifieds, check 'em out.

3. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    This

Good cabs. Great for the price. I would not consider them "great" cabs but certainly better than many cabs that cost as much or more.

4. So what makes them less than the others - is it engineering, lack of quality parts, lack of Boutique Name Plate. Really can someone quantify why a Neo Loaded Avatar is worse than a Neo Loaded Boutique name - yes I am just stirring the pot :D

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Engineering, period. IMO.

6. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Search is your friend :) This horse has been beat to death a thousand times already.

7. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Having owned a 4x10 Eden, Avatar, and Berg I will tell you straight up that the Avatar is not in the same class.

I wouldn't gig the Avatar 4x10, just did not like the sound. I have an Avatar 2x12 guitar cab though and it does sound very nice.

Hold out for a used 410 XLT Eden.

8. Bass-Trader

Bass-Trader

May 12, 2006
    I saw a Avatar neo 410 for sale today on the guitar center website listed under "used gear" . Do a nationwide search for Avatar and it should pop up . I have the SB112 Neo and it sounds great IMHO .

9. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    +1 the SB112 is amazing. I think the only difference between avatar and expensive cabs is the price and personal preference. If you can find one used, buy it, because you'll probably always be able to sell it for the same money if you do decide you don't like it.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  10. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    My B212 was the real deal, but I like a 15 better.

11. Stromrider

Stromrider

Feb 16, 2008
    CT, USA
    Avatar really just builds cabs for well known and easily available Eminence drivers (for the bass cabs anyway). They will load the regular guitar cabs with just about anything you want.

I consider them a step above most really, just because they will tell you exactly what driver they used, and the exact alignment used for the cab. The "big" companies buy loads of unlabeled drivers from the same companies (Eminence, EV, Selenium, whatever) because it's more cost effective. To get a replacement you have to go through them, instead of just ordering your own.

This is my view of them anyway... I haven't used them.

12. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

Dec 1, 2008
    Dallas, TX

some manufacturers may do that but not all do. At the end of the day the price tag is almost a non issue because it only matters what sounds good to you.

13. i had a 15. sold it. it was awesome I was in need of money.

14. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have never played through them, but Carvin cabinets are in the same price range (ebay.)

15. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The real question to me is not whether a Berg or Epi cab is better than my Avatar. It almost definitely is. What matters is if anyone can notice the difference when a full band is blaring in a club/bar with crappy acoustics. Once I looked at it that way I figured I was better off saving the money.

16. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I own an Epifani UL410 series I, and I've owned an Aguilar S410, as well as an Avatar 410 Neo.

I would not hesitate to gig the Avatar 410.

If I could summarize the difference between the Avatar and my Epifani for example, the Avatar is just less refined. It gets you there 85-90% of the way. Tons of low end, but just...not as refined as the Epifani. The highs are harsher and not as sweet as the Epifani, the mids are not as rich and smooth, the low end isn't as controlled or clear.

17. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I sold Eden 410 and 210's and am playing Avatars and completely happy.

Some people are more particular than others... the name on the cab does not effect their weight or sound, but most importantly for me, 'their price'. They're more than gig-worthy and they're great band for the buck.

18. v-grooves

v-grooves

Sep 20, 2008
    Clearwater, FL
    I had a 2-12 from Avatar and I noticed one part that seemed cheaply made.......it was the mounting plate that the removeable casters slid into. The retaining clip bent slightly and then broke off when I tried to bend it back.

I think it was due to poor design, as it was moved across a carpeted floor (without casters) and caught on the retaining clip bending it. On my Epifani, the clip seemed to be recessed slightly so it would get out of the way. Also, I think the quality of the metal on the clip could have been sturdier.

I play Epifani cabs and I would say that the Avatar comes in as a mid grade cab, good drivers, OK engineering and I had the line-x covering which is a great option to have. Another mid-grade product is the DR Bass cabs......I would rate them slightly higher than the Avatar's in quality and higher in sound quality. It too was covered with Line-X and the DR Bass cab seemed to be a lil beefier and overall more a sound structure.

Good luck,
    Vince

19. Out of curiosity (and because I just bought an Avatar B210 Neo :D), what really makes the boutique brands better than an Avatar? Are they better because of better wood? Better carpet? Electronics? Do they sound different? Or am I paying more for the name?

I'm not trying to be a j@cka$$ here, I'm genuinely curious. :) I've never had the fortune of playing a boutique cab... I'd LOVE to get my hands on a Bergie just to see!

With the custom Tolex covering and shipping, I paid $358 for my Avatar B210. Epifani's UL-210 ($899), Eden's D210XST ($779), EBS Neoline 210 ($1119 :eek:!), Bergantino AE210 ($799) and Acme Low B2 ($569) all have similar specs as the Avatar. I'm sure there are more out there than I've mentioned, but you get the point.

Band members and people I jam with are continually impressed with the B210 and people have described it as "clear and deep" or "loud and tight." Bass Guitar magazine even gave Avatar cabs a great review in March 2006. I'm thrilled with my Avatar and planning on adding a second one soon... I can get both for almost the same price as most of the cabs above (do I want another 2x10 or a 2x12? :D lol).

Are boutique cabs really that much better or am I paying for a name? :confused:

5sg.

20. You just rationalized your way to not getting the best - or the perceived best?