Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avatar neo 210/212: initial impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Emprov, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Got a few PM's regarding my new cabs so I thought it'd be good to post my initial impressions. Firstly, I ordered them on Wednesday and I got them on Friday, Dave rocks hard when it comes to shipping! I set them up in my living room next to my Schroeder 1210 and went to town. Keep in mind that our living room ain't exactly the best arena for acoustic tests but it was either that or the garage.

My first thought was, wow! For $600 US, these things pump! They don't have huge low end but they have fantastic clarity and note definition along with just a hint of punch. The tone is nicely rounded, not really lacking anywhere but the extreme low end. I played through the 210 by itself and it didn't seem like it was much to write home about. Virtually no bottom end and it severely lacked volume. The 212 by itself though, that's a completely different story. I spent about a half hour going back and forth between the Schroeder and the 212 neo and I gotta say, I'm kind of liking the Avatar. It's tone to my ears is more detailed and round and it seemed to put out the sound with much less effort than did the Schroeder. Again it doesn't have the Schroeder's low end but it didn't seem to strain as much when pushed and it does seem to do a better job on the mids, too close to call at this point with the highs. Both cabs handled my 55-94 equally, B string with full bass boost and all.

I took the 210 to a rehearsal out of curiosity and ran it for around 5 hours and it didn't miss a beat. In a small room, it's bottom end and volume was more than enough to keep up with a farily quiet drummer, guitar and vocals, not what I expected at all. Weird thing though, it put out all bottom end and the note articulation was virtually gone -- different room, different sound. Probably due to the fact that it was in a very small room with a lot of bodies that soaked up all of the high end but still, it really made me think. All in all, for around $650 US shipped, you can't go wrong. I'll be playing a gig next weekend where a lot of pro blues players will be playing through my rig. I'll have a much better idea of what they'll do after that but so far, I'm more than pleased with my purchase.