1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guitarsark, Sep 8, 2008.

1. guitarsark

guitarsark

Nov 30, 2007
    i play in an alt country band. My bass head is Eden Nemesis NA320 and my primary bass is an epiphone jack casady which has a very deep tone. i also play a fender jazz but prefer the JC. avatar 212 is not an option for me because it's too heavy.
    what are the differences in tones of a neo 210 and a 112. i would like get a slightly more punchy tone out of the JC.
    thanks, i would like to put an order in to avatar this week. i will be getting either the 112 or 210 @ 8 ohms

2. guitarsark

guitarsark

Nov 30, 2007
    i should ad that i am using flatwounds on JC bass. i may end up switching to rounds tho. i just love the feel of the flats but for tone prefer round wound

3. I don't have the 2x10; but I do have a new Avatar 1x12; I got it to use an ext cab w/my 350W SWR SuperRedhead, but I like the sound of it so much I often turn the internal 2x10s in the RedHead off. It's a relatively (more so than the PAS drivers in the RedHead) warm sound, very clear, with good bottom though not truly 'phat' down there. It's 8 ohm also, and has a hard time competing volume wise with the 2x10s (RedHead's cab impedance is 4 ohm).

4. guitarsark

guitarsark

Nov 30, 2007
    cool thanks

5. I have\had both.

Together they sound great!

If I'm only using I, I prefer the 210. I sold the 112 to my best friend and he likes it. He runs it with a Shuttle 6.0

I'm no audiophile, but to me the 210 sounds deeper, tighter, more focused and definitely louder than the 112. IME, it definitely pushes more low end than the 112.

I have GK NEO 112's also and they sound good but again, individually, the 210 still seems to have more 'oomph'.

I've run any of these cabs with a GK700RBII, Markbass LMII, SWR Baby Blue II and GB NeoPak 3.5. To me, the 210 sounded the best with any of these heads with minimal, if any at all, tweaking.

6. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I had a SB112 8ohm. I needed a standalone for smaller gigs. I played a Conklin GTBD-7 into a GB 6.0. The 112 wasn't cutting it. I sent it back and got the B210 @ 4ohms. It works much better.

7. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Same here. I've had an avatar 210 and a 112. the 112 just didn't cut it by itself. Then again Ive never heard a single 112 sound good by itself. I wish it did though b/c they are small and light.

8. guitarsark

guitarsark

Nov 30, 2007

would you recomend the 8ohm cab over the 4 ohm?

9. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    It all depends, if you are going to use it strictly as a standalone, get the 4 ohms. But, if you will use it with other cabs, it's probably better to get 8 ohms.

10. freshbass

freshbass

Jul 17, 2004
    vermont
    I've used many different cabs and find I prefer a 60's traditional fender bass sound. I also use flatwounds JF344 by Thomastid Infeld. Try a good small 15" cab like a BagEnd
    S15D....punchy, potent, warm, very sensitive so huge volume if you need it. Bear in mind that I detest tweeters in bass cabs. The Bag End's are around $400....best cab buy on the planet IMO.

11. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    +1

Might be better to leave the possibility open for another cab by getting 8 ohms. Does your band play at higher volume levels?

12. Defintely - a 12" is not "a 15" -3" - there seems to be a quantum drop in 'oomph.' Other postings/forums seem to draw that conclusion as well. Guess they really have to be paired to have any measurable impact.

13. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Oh, I forgot to mention....I've got two Avatar 210s, the older style, not Neo. They sound nice together and make a tall, skinny stack when you put them on end. Gets the sound up to ear level (unless you're 6'8").

BTW Karen, went to your MS page and enjoyed your music. Good stuff.

:)

14. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    For Country I'd say the Avatar 212 would be great.

I've had both and currently have 2 210 4ohm Avatars I use at 2ohm and love them. The 212 was more oomph and low then I wanted for what I prefer. I prefer more mid/lowmid punch in my tone and my 210's give me that.

I could have gotten the tone I like out of the 212, but it's native tone was much more deep and oomphy then the 210. Dave at avatar explained the 212 to me as 'all the 210 has, but more down low' which seems about accurate.

15. guitarsark

guitarsark

Nov 30, 2007

Thanks! :bassist:

16. guitarsark

guitarsark

Nov 30, 2007
    thanks for all the feeback. 212 is not an option..too heavy for me. i am leaning towards the 210 neo