Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AVATAR NEO 212 OR EDEN NEMESIS 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fretless72, Dec 23, 2005.

1. fretless72

fretless72

Mar 30, 2004
    Hi, I live in Spain.
    I need a cheap but decent 2x12 4 Ohm cab for my Mesa Boogie Walkabout and my Active Jazz Bass.
    At first I want to buy the Nemesis cab, but I have read a lot of good reviews of different users about the Avatar Cabs.
    Here, in Europe, the price is the same, about 500 Euro (600 dollars, yes, expensive, specially thinkin' about the avatar prices...), and the weight is also really similar, but the Nemesis has no tweeter control.
    Please, in your opinion, which one of the two cabs is the best for my rig?? ( I play Pop Rock music with a touch of Jazz) and, could you define her tone??

Thank's to all and I apologizes for my english...

2. fretless72

fretless72

Mar 30, 2004
    C'mon, please! Help me!!

3. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    I own an Avatar 212 Neo, but I can't help you because I have no clue how it stacks up against the Nemesis. I LOVE my Avatar - warmth, punch, clarity, crispness - but comparing it to something else with which I am unfamiliar would be impossible. Sorry.

4. fretless72

fretless72

Mar 30, 2004
    Ok, thank's a lot. Curiosly the Nemesis cab has in Germany exactly the same price as in the U.S.A... But the Avatar cost here about two times what it cost in U.S.A... So probably i buy the Nemesis.

Bye.

5. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Why not buy it straight from the USA? Shipping should be sth like 200$ the most. Maybe 100$.

6. fretless72

fretless72

Mar 30, 2004
    I think is not a good idea... shippin' costs and extra taxes... but thanks.

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'm the opposite of Ray-Man, I own a Nemesis 210 combo and have nothing but high priase for it. I have no experience w/ Avatar so I can't compare them, but Eden is a good company.

8. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Besides, I don't think Avatar will ship directly to Spain. Has to go through a dealer.

9. I think you have made the best choice based on very good reasoning. I am not familiar with the Eden Nemesis line, but their XLT cabs are very good, with strong mids. I don't like the tweeter on the 210XLT or the 410XLT, but they can be turned down. Avatar makes a very good inexpensive cab, but it is not the equal of the Eden XLTs that I have played. If you cannot play each cab, then I would choose the Nemesis.

10. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    what's better for a five string bass the avatar neo 2-12 or the deltalf 2-12?

11. I have very little experience w/neo drivers(borrowed a friend's Ampeg Portabass 2x10 combo for a church mission trip to Mexico), but I'll just say that I tend to agree w/what seems to be near-consensus: Neos are generally stronger in the low-mids(as opposed to full-on lows like you might want for good below-low-E substance)than coventional drivers.That being said, mids cut & low mids add beef w/out mud, IMO/IME. I have CRANKED that Portabass rig & BANGED on the B; it's not a 4x10, mind you, but I could absolutely hear myself.

12. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    i think i will probably get a avatar 2-12 delta :bassist:

13. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    I m having a similiar dilemma here in Europe. Did you make up your mind? :)

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    If you'r gonna get an Avatar 212 I'd recommend the Delta LF version over the Neo/Deltalite version.

15. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have the Delta 121 and...I detune my 5 string Lakaland to ADADG...the 212 handles it tremendously! Very low but tight, nice punch...add my 410 and lots of low mid punch to it....it really rips and cuts through. However...I myself am feeling astray and want to try new gear and I was gonna start looking at Edan to.

16. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    To clarify, I ve alreddy heard that both are excellent cabs and owners are very happy with them. But while in US Eden costs about half more than avatar, here in Europe they are about the same.
    I wish i could try them out, but since I cannot, I have to rely on
    you guys :)

So, when the price is the same - Eden or Avatar?

17. Poele

Poele

Jan 30, 2006
    I do not think you can compare the Eden to the Avatar. The Avatar is a lot more powerful than the Nemesis cab in terms of RMS (350 W versus 1000 W RMS). That is quite a difference in head room / sound pressure. Besides, the Avatar is also available in 8 Ohm and I do not think the Nemesis comes in 8 Ohm. If you want to add a cab later, you may get into trouble with the 4 Ohm Nemesis. What amp are you using?

18. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    I used to have a Nemesis 4x10 combo 320 watt...great piece, but I sold it for a good reason..
    it really suffer at high volume, due to the strange and light material of the cab...
    well I don't know if with another head the thing will be different, anyway, IMHO, if they have the same weight...buy the avatar.

19. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
  20. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    I planned to power it with qsc poweramp of some sort.
    And yes, adding some more cabs later crossed my mind aswell.
    Thanks for the input guys :)