1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerk Store, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Jerk Store

Jerk Store

Dec 10, 2008
    Chicago
    I've been thinking about getting an Avatar Neo 410, but I can't decide between 8 or 4 ohms. I will be using it with a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, and was wondering whether the cabinet would really be any louder with the 600 watts at 4 ohms compared to 375 watts at 8 ohms. I recently discovered thermal vs mechanical power handling and even though I don't know enough about it to probably make a correct mathematical guess, I still wonder if the extra 225 watts would be overkill/useless for the cab. My other though was that if I really needed to, I could always add an extra 8 ohm cab for large shows or outdoor gigs.

Any thoughts from anyone with this experience? Dave at Avatar kinda gave me the "everyone else does it, so you should be fine" answer, which didn't really answer my question.

Thanks.

2. wnelson

wnelson

Aug 15, 2007
    dallas,tx
    that ''overkill'' might come in handy later...

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Probably not. In the low end cab output is limited by the driver excursion capability, not power, and 375w will push almost any 4x10 to full excursion. Even if it did make a difference it would be slight, whereas if you cannot add another cab in the future that's a full 6dB you'll never have access to. :crying:

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    There will be a difference of a dB or so at 4 ohms , not a huge amount but the most important factor is the desire to possible add another cabinet for bigger gigs which makes the 4 ohm version a non-option anyway.

5. mkrtu9

mkrtu9 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I've never used two 4x10s at an outdoor show and I play during big festivals around our county every year. I'm glad mine is 4ohm so I can get as much out of the cab as possible. Never needed anything bigger. This is with huge PA support though, so if you don't have that I can see having multi cabs.

I use a shuttle 6.0 too.

6. I think youll be fine either way. I personally am a fan of overkill though. :D

7. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    You should be fine either way. Note that some heads sound better when run with a 4 ohm load, though I'm not sure this is the case with the Shuttle.

8. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    I'd at least consider a pair of 8 ohm 2x10s. I don't unnerstand pairing these ultra modern super-duper lightweight heads with 55-60 pound cabs, but that's me, I guess.

9. jaco brings up a good point. I wouldn't worry about whomping the cabs, they can handle a ton of power without a hiccup. I got a 4ohm cab because i gig with one cab and dont have enough room for another in transport. I run it at 900 watts and my amp runs out long before my cab.

it does need a break-in period, so it's much louder than it will be right out of the box

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I agree because I want to own two cabs even if I'm only going to use one of them, say for a smaller gig. However if he wants a single standalone 410, the 4 ohm version is the better option. Jerk Store must decide if he only wants to run a single cab going forward.