Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnightmare, Nov 8, 2004.

1. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    whats the difference between the 2 cabs tone wise?
  2. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    supposedly very similar.
  3. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    then whats the pros and cons of each? seems like if the tone is the same then whats the real difference just weight and RMS handling?

oh well whats the frequency range of the 2? like how do they handle the low end?
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

If I remember correctly, The Neo's can go a little lower frequency wise. The biggest advantage of course is the weight issue. We want lighter cabs that can put forth the same volume.
  5. I got the NEO 410 a couple of weeks ago and used it on my last gig.I have been using one or two Avatar CB112s with my Eden 210XLT and liked the sound very much but wanted one cab to handle everything.The NEO sounds flatter than the Eden/CB112 combination with a smoother low end with my 5 string.It doesn't have as much midrange snarl as the Eden so I have to boost the mids a little to cut through but it gets plenty loud and deep.I'm using it with a RBI pre/Crown CE1000 power bridged at 1100 watts.I've only used it on one gig but I like it very much so far.I have another gig this weekend so I'll ring it out some more then.

When I was ordering it I asked Dave about the 410 Pro.He said the Pro was the cab to get if you need to peel the plaster off the walls,like for hardcore metal or more.It weighs 30lbs. more than the NEO and I don't play that loud anyway so the NEO was an easy choice.He also said the Delta 410 has very strong mids but not as much bottom as the Pro or NEO.I haven't tried the Pro but if you call Dave at Avatar he could clue you in,he's pretty cool to talk to about what will work for you.
  6. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    so the pro and neo pretty much handle the low end the same? and the only difference is how much watts they can handle?
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The neo is also a bit more inefficient, it requires a little more power to get to the same levels as the pro's. Efficiency rating is traded for weight, which is more important to you should guide your choice.
  8. Comparing stock Eminence drivers, the Deltalite 2510 is a better all around driver than the Kappa Pro 10. It has nearly identical (calculated) sensitivity, twice the Xmax, and a lot lower bass response.

The Kappa Pro 10 has nearly twice the BL factor, meaning a much more muscular control over the cone motion. This leads me to believe the Kappa Pro has a lot more punch. Since both are 10" (punchy) this is probably splitting hairs.

The Kappa Pro 10 is running in an EBS alignment in the Avatar, due to the large cabinet volume. This means a large group delay and sloppy response at the tuning frequency.

Note that all three of the drivers are very different in their requirements, but they are all installed in the same dimension 4x10 Avatar cabinet. One size fits all is great for condoms, but is less than optimum for bass drivers.
  9. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Bgavin - point well taken on the box size issue. The B212 is also the same size and I think the B15 is too. I saw something from Dave saying that the boxes are tuned by varying the port dimensions but it begs the question of which speaker the box volume is optimal for? It does seem a little odd that you can put a 15, two 12s, or 3 different kinds of 10s in the same size box. I'm no expert though... I should probably just ask Dave. Any opinions here?
  10. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    While I am certainly not a sound engineer, I believe that might be a misleading statement.

Why? Because several other manufacturers also use the same size cabinet for different configurations. For example, GK uses a 23x23x18 cabinet for both the 115SBX and the 410SBX. Hartke uses a 24x24x15 cabinet for the 115BXL and the 410XL.

I'm guessing there is more involved with tuning a speaker cabinet than just the overall dimensions.
  11. mikepaulhamus

Jun 26, 2011
    I have 3 different avatar 410 cabs neo 2510's nice sounding flat, the celestion bl 200 s , very nice sounding doesn't handle the bass real good but sounds awesome. and the delta pro's the delta pro's is over kill on the lowend, I run a svt vr all tube head and had to turn my bass on my amp to 11'clock and use small gauge speaker and guitar cables, and change to a thinner sounding v1 position 12ax7. but well worth it the lows are nice and this cab will handle anything 1400 watts rms