1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcr23, Apr 16, 2010.

1. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010
    Would you get the 410 or the 212?

I'm a guitar player so all I know is 12s. Twice as many speakers should move more air but the 12s should have an extended freq response right?

I'm confused. :oops:

2. MrRumble

MrRumble

Aug 8, 2006
    Plymouth, MN
    I have the Avatar 2x12 Delta LF and it sounds fine but I believe 410's moves more air.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Neither is the case. Speaker size in and of itself doesn't predict either output or frequency response. Aside from trying them side by side there's no way to know which will work best for you. Accurate specs would make a decision easier if you can't try before you buy, but no manufacturer provides them.

4. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    IMO and from my experiences at studios, get the 212 if you like more of a bassier response and a 410 if you like more punch.

I have a Neo 210 and love the thing, I plan on pairing it with a 212 one day so I can get punch and a lot of low end.

5. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    > no manufacturer provides them.

Well... let's say that "only rare ones" provide them. I know of three. And though he doesn't actually run a manufacturing shop for his designs, one has posted in this thread.

6. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Avatar speakers are good in general and great for the money. Either the 4x10 or the 2x12 is a good choice but there's no real way to kow which you will prefer without trying them out.

Personally, I have prefered every 2x12 cab I've owned to every 4x10 cab I've owned. YMMV

2 2x10s stacked vertically is another good option.

7. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Mcr, you should contact the manufacturer and ask for the response plots for both cabs, for both low-level and high-level operation (plots can get wacky when the volume goes up -- driver nonlinearities, cab contributions, etc.). Tell them you're not out to validate each design's inherent worthiness, just trying to get a comparative sense of what each cab will do.

8. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I own the B410 Neo and it's killer. I keep the tweeter almost off on it because it likes to hiss a bit. Loud, huge sounding, toneful and 65lbs = win.

9. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010
    Thanks guys!

This whole bass guitar equipment thing is a new world for me.

It took me a long time to build up the volume of knowledge of electic guitar stuff so I'm sure I'll be a noob for some time to come.

:oops:

10. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    A good rule of thumb for new bass players. If you are young , get 2 -810 cabs, play loud, and as the years go on, you will end up with 2 neo 112's and an mb500 4 lb. head. This , of course will be after your back has gone bad and you have lost half your hearing. Just kidding.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The main reason why cab manufacturers don't provide plots for their gear is that most of them don't have any. Those that do won't reveal them, so asking for them is a fruitless quest.

12. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    No surprise there, Bill. I know it'll be a long shot.

/* Begin rant */

I realize I'm only one guy and have essentially zero leverage, but if a manufacturer actually thinks he can sell me a cab without showing me evidence of what that cab can do (other than Jim and John and Jane and Jilly and Bass √úberalles Magazine saying it's got a full, punchy low end and is to die for) he needs to get off the crack pipe. Been down that road too many times where I bought based on multiple recommendations, was disappointed, subsequently profiled the cab, and immediately saw why. Ain't goin' there again.

/* End rant */

13. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    I just went through this very question last friday. I ordered the 410 at 4 ohms with ratfur carpet covering and it came in fed ex on monday. Woweez! I have no regrets!:hyper:

I can only lug one cab, so I made sure that I went with what would handle the most watts and move the most air.
    That said, I am no expert, I just play the hell out em!:bassist:
    Good luck with your decision....

14. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010
    I'm just not sure what the real differences are between the 410 and the 212. :meh:

15. woodsideh

woodsideh

Feb 19, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I have to agree with PSPookie. I have had many 410 cabs through the years. My Avatar 212 beats any of them hands down.

I also have 2 - 112 cabs that I stack vertical and they also sound awsome.