Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avatar Neo2x10-How Much Is Enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by txbasschik, Mar 19, 2006.

1. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    OK, I've found an Avatar Neo2x10 I can afford, ad says gently used. But, not having experience playing through many amps, I wonder if I don't need more than a 2x10?

When indoors, I'm playing mostly small rooms. Within the year, I don't expect to play an indoor venue larger than a medium-sized bar.

I play outdoors a lot, however. Most of my gigs are in outdoor beergardens.

I have an SWR Workingman 2004 head, which is 400 w at 4 ohm, and 200 at 8.

So...You who've played longer than I have, or have more experience with amps and how they behave...

Before I drive for nearly an hour in the rain to go check this thing out...

Do you think that's enough juice to cover what I need for at least a year, as related above?

Bowing to experience...

Cherie

2. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I've read that Avatar cabs are really good. Most of the outdoors gigs that I have been on we came through the PA. I think if that is the case for you then the 10s will be ok, but if you can get a 4-10 cab or a 2-12 cab they would be better.

3. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Thanks! Yeah, I was kinda thinking of a 2x12. But the price on this 2x10 is *good*, at $225.

I've sorta got my heart set on an Avatar. I've read and heard so much good about them, and the weight is a big thing for me. I'd really like to get something that will serve, venue-size-wise, for me for now, and then get something to fill out a stack by next year. Like, a 2x10 or 2x12 now, and then a 1x15 or so next year. That way, I'll have everything I need, but not a huge, heavy cab to drag around.

Cherie :)

4. A 2x10 is plenty if there is PA support, but for stage monitoring, it's just enough, IMO. As long as you are going to add another box to it in the near future, I don't see the issue with it, as long as your drummer isn't a maniac.
    C7

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I have a 212 Avvie, and I love it. Plenty of sound, I don't have PA support, and I've never been told to turn up! ;) I run a Behringer 3000, which is 300W at 4Ohms, and it has the huevos to get the job done. It's been my main gigging cab for the past 3 years. I leave my EBS at home, as it doesn't handle as much power as the 212. I just got a 1210, and may be retiring my 212 soon.

6. I guess my first question would be:
    Do you currently own any cabs?
    If no, what have you been using for cabs at the aforementioned shows?

At first glance, I could safely say that you should get the 210 Neo, perhaps with the thought of adding a 212 or 115 down the road, but that's just my taste. If you raise the 210 up to waist/chest level when you're playing you should be safe, though any outdoor gigs I've played have needed more than that.

My advice, being an owner of a 210 Neo (with a 212 on the way) is that they are GREAT cabs for the money, and you would be kicking yourself down the road for passing this deal up. However, if you're looking for ONLY one cab, I'd recommend the 212 Neo. It has more depth than the 210 and fills the room a little better.

Hope this helps, (and I hope you get the cab!). :D

7. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hey, Cherie,

Fun to run into you on TalkBass! (This is Liam, Holly Figueroa's bassist).

It does sort of depend on the band philosophy. Some bands want tons of stage volume, and just want the bass and guitars to run pretty much all on their own, without much if any PA help. I haven't had that kind of gig for a looooong time, though, where the guitar has a Marshall stack or two, and the bass needs 1000 watts and an 8x10 to compete.

Most outdoor shows I have ever played have PA support, so I haven't had to depend on my amp for full volume. Is this the case with the shows you play?? If so, I think that 2x10 will be a great little cab for you, perfect for your medium bar gigs, and a great stage monitor for outdoor shows. Then, as you say, you can add to the rig later on, if needed.

Again, fun to run into you here, and best of luck!

All the best,
    Liam

8. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Hey sugar!!! So cool to visit with you in here! I just saw Holly in MySpace last night. Man, I hope she is ship-shape soon.

Good advice. I *can* run through the PA if needed, but don't always want to. Depends on who's mixing, and if its our PA, or someone else's. If I get someone who cares whether the bass gets heard or not, I'm fine. But if I get one of a couple of guitarists who run sound, I'm only "felt". {{{rolls eyes}}}

The two drummers I play with most often are both really loud, so I work hard just to hear myself. Since my Behringer blew up, I've been running through either my Fender Rumbler 60w combo, or my SWR head and a 15" PA speaker. I have to beat the heck out of my bass to be heard, that way. Last time I played, I could not hear myself at all.

So...gotta get something better. I'm getting the Behringer fixed, then selling it. Its a 4x10 beast, I have to get help moving it, and, well, its a cheapie, and I've never gotten the sound out of it that I want. That 2x10 just may be the best deal for me. I am so happy to have all this advice! I have another gig on 4/8, so I want to have everything settled by then, and advice from experienced bassists really helps.

Thanks!

9. gregandgail

gregandgail

Dec 15, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I've used just my Avatar 210 Neo a couple times, and although the rest of the band said they could hear me just fine, I couldn't hear myself at all. I need to *feel* it as much as hear it, so I added a 115 and all was right again... Bottom line, if you can raise the cab off the floor enough you may be fine. But... the bottom end will suffer some.

Btw Cherie, sorry I couldn't make it to your gig Saturday... I hope it didn't rain too much!

10. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Thanks!

I've got a Behringer 4x10 with a blown cone, that I can't carry on my own. I've got a little Fender Rumbler 60w combo, which is fine for individual practice, but that's about it. I've got my SWR head hooked up to a 15" PA speaker, but that speaker sounds like dookie, and is still not loud enough.

I think I'm going to hold out for a 212. I asked my husband/drummer about this, and asked him to really think about the sound the past few times we've played. He'd like me to be louder. He figures, we'll get better sound and more volume with the 212, and its only a hundred or so dollars more, and he'll help me out with that. We also agree that it would be nice to have a brand-new one, with customer service, etc.

Thanks for responding! Your answers have really helped me think about my options here.

11. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Both the drummers I play with are *loud*. I'm thinking the 212, at this point. Can't hear myself with those bangers! ;-)

12. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    1210...SWEET!!! I'll bet it sounds awesome.

Yeah, I'm thinking I should hold out for the 212. I've got a good head that can handle it, and I think it would be worth it, to have that much more volume and better sound. I may go ahead and order it this week, so it'll be here by 4/8, and I can play through it at my next gig. :)

13. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I agree. Right now, I can't hear myself, so I probably need more than the 210. My drummers can't hear me well enough, either. I think I'll go for the 212, raise it up, and then get the 115 next year.

The gig got cancelled. Gary and I figured it would rain all night, like predicted. And then it didn't rain!!! Aw shoot. Well, we play again on 3/31, same place. C'mon out if you're able! I look forward to hearing you soon, too!

14. walkerci

walkerci

Mar 7, 2006
    Orlando, FLA
    I have both the B212 Neo and B410 Neo.

Either one alone is VERY loud driven by my Eden WT800B.
    Haven't tried em yet with my ancient Peavey Mark IV.

Together they will cut through just about anything.

With my 1X15 home grown added in, it is awesome.
    Can't wait to try with my Peavey 2X15 Black Widows.

That said, if I had to pick one cab for a gig, it would be B212 Neo. Also, it the lightest cab I have and gives good deep lows with strong mids.

I almost went with a B210 Neo and a B112 Neo, because of size, weight, and the Tolex covering. But I made the right choice for me.

15. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Wow, you've got a really nice rig! I'll bet it thunders!

Yep, I am going to get the B212 Neo, definitely. Everyone who has answered so far, you included, seems to feel I'll get more out of that, than the 210. I can't wait to get it and play thorough it...so excited!

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow,

bass & beer. doesnt get any better does it? ;)

but i say try it, and if you have to add later, at least you can do so. no sense in getting stuck with a single cab that you have to lug around.

17. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Nope, don't get no better'n bass-n-beer! The Lago Music Hall keeps Shiner Blonde and Blue Moon White on hand, just for me. :)

At the Lone Star, they just look at me funny when I ask for Shiner Blonde, and hand me a Bock. LOL!

Yeah, I can't drag that 4x10 around anymore. When I take sub gigs, I don't have anyone to help me, and I'm not fixing to mess up my back for a Behringer. :meh: I think the B212 Neo is exactly what is needed, then I'll add a 15" next year. By then, I hope I'll be playing bigger halls. ;)

18. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hey, Cherie,

I used to play through two Eden Nemesis cabs, a 2x12 and a 2x10. I think you'll like the 2x12 a lot. When you get around to adding another cab, see if you can try both a 1x15 and a 2x10 ... with my 2x12, I didn't find I needed the 15. A neo 210 would give you an even lighter alternative for small gigs. Or ... you could get another 2x12, and have a monster 4x12 stack ... ;)

Actually, 12's have become my absolute favorite speaker size, and I now just play through anywhere from one to three 12's (Euphonic Audio Wizzys), depending on the gig.

All the best!

Liam

19. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

I own a 2x10 and a 2x12 and play a mixture of indoor and outdoor gigs, as well. From my experience, if you're getting only 1 cab for the year, then I'd lean toward getting a 2x12 instead of a 2x10. Plenty of thunder for the beer gardens, and drummers....and you'll be more than felt. Get the 2x10 next year and you'll have a BEAST for a rig!

20. I'm using an Avatar Neo210 with a GK1001RBII. I have found it to be plenty sufficient. That is the only cab I have. I bought it figuring I would get more if I needed it, but I don't need it, at least at the moment.

It's really going to depend on how loud the rest of your band is however - and how many instruments there are.

I've found I like it best with the 210 vertical, and leaning back at an angle so it is pointing up towards the ears.

And besides sounding good and getting ear blasting loud, I can roll my amp along in one of those wheeled rack cases while carrying the light Neo cab in the other.

Also, Avatar uses a custom Neo 10 which is better at handling low frequencies - it is even better than the Neo 12s (although I don't know about the new Eminence Deltalite IIs, which are the next generation of Neo)