1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dgce, Dec 27, 2006.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Right now I gig with an old Carvin head and a Avatar 2x10 Delta. Amazingly this simple setup works for most gigs and I play in a classic/semi-hard rock band. However there are times when I really feel the need for a bigger cab. I'm going back to Avatar for sure. The problem is that I'm not sure what to go for, the 2x12 or the 4x10 Neos. I'm thinking more in terms of running the new cab as a stand-alone unit not to be used with my current 2x10 cab (long story, I’ll spare you).

So as a stand-alone unit, I'm thinking a 2x12 will likely give me the best of both worlds, the clarity and punch of a 4x10 with the bottom of a 1x15. The neo speakers only make it all the more appealing giving my aging back a break (err...a good break, that is!). However for years I’ve been led to believe that the 4x10 is the holy grail of stand-alone cabs. Decision, decisions…

So any experience out there with both cabs? At near the same price and weight, I'm open to either.

Thanks!

r

2. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    how about buying a pair of deltalite 10s for the existing cab instead? they have superiour x-max compared to the (in this respect) lousy deltas and will provide more bass/volume and be significantly lighter.

if your avatar was only a fair bit too little and not a whole lot, then this might be an option.

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Actually I like my 2x10 Delta as it is and plan to continue using it as a stand-alone for smaller gigs and rehearsals. It's for the bigger rooms and times when the band really cranks it where I want to move a bit more air hence my desire for a bigger cab. Also, figure with the expense of buying and shipping replacement speakers, then having a tech install them (I don't care how easy it its, I'm not doing it myself!), I might as well shell out $300 for a new cab.

Interesting idea, though; thanx.

r

4. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    well, deltalite cost around 70 euros here (don't know how much in the US), the deltas would sell for about that on ebay, so total cost would be below 100 dollars, for sure. installation is super easy, a screwdriver will usually do.

but back to your question, i'd take a 2x12 neo then.

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Okay, I have one vote for the 2x12. Anybody else?

r

6. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Do a search. There's another thread on this. A Bass Guitar mag review said the 2x12 was louder and more middy, the 4x10 was deeper and can handle more power.

7. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I do not have any experience w/the 2X12 neo, but i do own one of the older 2X12s-i forget if i have the kappa or the delta speakers. There's a reason why when i was getting rid of cabs i kept my 2X12 and sold the 2X10 & the 1X15 [more or less gave away the 1X15]. Granted-the cab i own weighs around 70-75 pounds, but the tone and power handling was amazing. My vote it towards the 2X12, the past few years i've been on a 12s kick-regardless of style i'm playing.

I was in a metal band for a short while [our goals were different] & the Avatar sounded kill with some drive/distortion added to it from my Sansamp RPM.

take it easy.

9. jamesblue

jamesblue

Mar 27, 2005
    Maryland
    I like 12s. I have an Aggie 4x12, it fits in a band mix very well. I find 10s tend to drown out the kick, some don't care if the bass does that (funk), but I prefer to hear the kick.
    12s to me sound more natural and are loud, distort well and are punchy enough.:D

10. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Its settled; its the 2x12 for me! Thanks guys.

r
    Hmmm...now should I go standard carpet or blonde torlex?

11. thatguy5623

thatguy5623

Jun 21, 2006
    wen i order my avatar I'm going with the blond tolex....makes the cab more unique, and just straight up cool. spend the extra couple dollars and go with the tolex. unless some of the other guys can tell u a technical reason not to (something with durability or wutever). for aesthetic reasons my vote would be the tolex.
    have fun with your new cab!