1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by totallybacan, Apr 30, 2009.

1. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    I'm planning on buying an avatar 410 and 212 in the near future. however, how should they be wired so that all the speakers get the same number of watts? is this advisable or should i get two 8 ohms or two 4 ohms?

P.S.- I'll be running with a carvin b1500 so I can go down to 2 ohms.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you want each speaker to get the same amount of power, 4 ohm 410 and 8 ohm 212. But I'd just get them both in 8 ohms, more practical in the long run, (with other amps).

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Pet peeve of mine. Ohmage is a goofy made up word. What you're looking for is impedance. I know ohmage is in the dictionary, but as Bill Fitzmaurice pointed out, its not an acceptable word in the engineering world and that's where it counts :p

...Now back to your regular scheduled programming.

4. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    Sorry I'm a n00b at this, but does this mean that the 212 will be getting less watts? I don't want to be in a situation where the 12's will only be adding a visual effect of a moving speaker with no increase in volume.

5. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, the cabinet will receive less wattage, but there are less speakers to divide the wattage between, so it should balance out the output to each speaker rather than looking at them as individual cabs.

6. I you had 410 (8 ohm) being feed with 100 watts, would each driver recieve 25 watts? And if you added a single 15 (8ohm) being feed with the same 100 watts (4ohm load) would the 15 get 50 watts and the 410 get 50 watts divided by 4?:eyebrow: "Just using 100 watts for math purposes"

7. GaryM

GaryM

Jul 28, 2006
    Dundee, UK
    I totally agree, that annoys me too.

Wattage? You mean "power" don't you? ;)

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm really glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. "Ohmage" = wrong. It's like referring to someone's age as their "yearage".

:bag:

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    yes. And to the OP, wasn't that your original question? You wanted each speaker to recieve the same amount of power? But like I said, I'd just get both cabs as 8 ohms each.

10. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Hoisted by my own petard! :bawl: ;)

11. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    yea thanks for the answers. and i'll remember to use the word impedance from now on instead of... that other one...

12. Just to be sure, wouldnt each 10 only get 25 watts?

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Neither. Either get two 8 ohm 4x10 or two 8 ohm 2x12. There's absolutely no benefit in mixing a 4x10 and 2x12, and with identical cabs you won't have to be concerned with impedance and power permutations.

BTW, 'wattage' is an acceptable term, because it only applies to power. Ohmage is not acceptable because impedance, resistance, capacitive reactance and inductive reactance are all measured in ohms. If you say 'ohmage' there's no way of knowing which is being referenced.

14. The only reason Im asking this question is I have a Avatar 410 Neo and a Avatar 115 stacked and the 15 always seemed to be doing most of the work. I would see (and hear) very little movement in the 410 while the 115 was thumping like crazy so I got another 410 and now all 8 drivers are moving equaly. I would really love to get another 115 so to have the best of both sounds. By the way, I drive these with either a SVT Pro III or a 400+.

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's because you had a mismatch. That's not unusual; if both cabs were the same impedance the 1x15 would be getting half the power, and it shouldn't, unless loaded with an extra long throw driver like a 3015LF. It wasn't.
    That's a misconception, albeit a widely held one. Truth is most 4x10s have better low frequency output capability than most 1x15s. A 1x15 is a reasonable match with a 1x10, perhaps a 2x10. But a 4x10, not so much.