Avatar Or Ampeg? Which Is Generally Better?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Avatar

24 vote(s)
  2. Ampeg

38 vote(s)
  1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    which cabinet maker would you say generally has better cabinets? from their sound to the quality of their production, from their reliability to their versatility. avatar or ampeg?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sound quality and reliability, Ampeg.

Bang for the buck, Avatar.
  3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah. if you are on a really low budget, avatar will give you some bang man. but over, ampeg.
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    ampeg ampeg ampeg ampeg ampeg ampeg:D
  5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I have owned both Ampeg and Avatar and both use Eminences speakers but I found that Ampeg uses the cheaper speakers Batas compared the Avatar which uses the Deltas.:rolleyes:
  6. I've heard from some people that there are some Ampeg cabs that use particle board in their construction (maybe the 610?)...I know Avatar uses real wood on all their bass cabs...
  7. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I am absolutly in love with my Avatar B212.

Other than the fact that it sounds amazing for it's size, IT ONLY WEIGHS 70LBS AND FITS IN MY JETTA! I am happily putting off a hurniated disk for a few more years.
  8. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Mattski I also use the Avatar B212 and I liked it so much I bought another one. Dave at Avatar is a great guy to deal with.:D
  9. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I've got the B115H and i like it a ton. I played it last night @ a loud Show [pep] Band game. It held up very nicely and if i tried, i could drown out the guitarist's 100 watt Marshall Halfer [i was only pushing 425 watts through it].

The only thing about the cab that i'm not wild about is the size. However, it's worth it for the sound and I plan on just trying to get a Cargo Van/SUV so i can buy more gear and still be able to haul it all.

I have an 84 Impala-the rack & cab sit in my back seat. This works fine for BG only gigs-but for the DB or both ones, that will be a problem. So-i'm just gonna buy more cabs and look for another vehicle. That's all
  10. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    When I got my Avatar B410, I took it to my friend's music shop and did an AB comparison between the avatar, an aguilar 4x10, an Ampeg 410 Pro and 410 BXT, and an SWR Goliath III.

I couldn't tell the difference between the Avatar or the Goliath III. The Aguilar had slightly better lows than the Avatar, however it wasn't as punchy. The ampegs didn't even come close to sounding as good or better than the avatar.
  11. :eek:

What head were you using?
  12. i swear by avatar...excellent service and dope cabs.
  13. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Aguilar DB 750 (just what they had at the shop).
  14. squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Wow, the Goliath III comment really blows me away. That's totally cool, go Avatar! I'm set for all my gear for a while, but that is amazing (think the 2x10 is just as similar to the swr 2x10's?). Almost makes me want to buy more stuff, but since I have to put my current 2x10 into my backseat (the trunk's mouth isn't big enough; if it were, everything would fit fine), I don't think a 4x10 would really work for me. Oh well, good review! Thanks!
  15. Sense we're on the subject, I own an Avatar B410 and B115. They both sound really good. Recently I've been having problems with the speakers distorting, that's when I added the 15. I have run an Ashdown Mag 400 (sweet tone) and SWR SM-500 through the stack seperatly but still speaker distortion. There is no distortion as long as the master isn't cranked but once the max is turned up all the way it is easy to distort. The amps input is no where near clipping and the SWR will show active limiting but still the speakers distort. I've run the heads and cabs in all the different setups and the result is the same. Is is just the input is too high for max output volume (it will need to be practically at 25%) or could there be something else wrong? I use a passive fender jazz aerodyne.

Just noticing that on the inside of the Avatar input panels there is just some little yellow box thing for circutry. Don't other brands have big circut boards with fuses and other type stuff that might regulate the speakers function? (as not to damage them)

I'm using CBI 12 gauge speaker cables. They're supposed to be really heavy duty. My instrument cables are also CBI, all of the CBI's have a 10 year warranty. I've heard and read that they're the industry standard. Great price too.

Avatars are great cabs. Don't let my reply get you down on them at all. I've talked to dave nemerous times and he can't even figure out what's wrong. I have a unique case. (or it could be really simple and stupid
  16. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    So, some of yall are saying you wouldnt trade your avatar cab for the comparable ampeg?

from looks alone, ampeg wins.

Ampeg has been around since when? thats right.

I cant judge on sound, because ive never tried an avatar.... but the ampeg gear i have used blows everything else away. So i doubt a cheap cab manufacturer is going to be any better than a peavey cab.

But who knows, next month i could be swearing by avatar cabs too.:D
  17. squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    I've heard that sometimes the buzzing is due to a loose speaker screw or something? but since you've talked to dave...I dunno. see if he'll send you a new one! Also, I don't think the cab really needs that much stuff inside it...just a crossover to direct the frequencies to the appropriate speakers (lows/mids/highs), but that doesn't need to be big or anything.
  18. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Nakoa, I actualy find the contrary. I have both Ampeg and Avatar cabs and the Avatars are solidly built. The Avatar cabs actually seem to be a bit more solid than the Ampegs (though they're a touch bigger). I also heard rumors that some Ampeg cabs are made out of particle board (mine aren't but still worth a mention).

I'm not putting Ampeg cabs down whatsoever. I personally love the 410 BXT and think it's a great cab. The Avatar 410 does have a couple of issues (as in it's a little lacking in the low end on 5 strings and the tweeter is really hot). However, as far as construction goes Avatar is as good as anything.

So when it comes down to the option of 3 Avatar cabs or one Ampeg cab, you know which way I'm going to go. In fact, I don't think I'd trade my Avatars for their Ampeg counterparts (as the Ampegs weigh more).
  19. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  20. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Well, sound quality is subjective, but I've heard no reliability problems with Avatar.