1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gimmeagig, May 12, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Currently I'm using Bag End S15 XD cabinets but I'm looking for something that might be a little fuller and deeper sounding.
    So I'm looking at the Avatar 2X10 neo
    NEW B210 NEO
    and also the Carvin BRX 10.2 Neo
    Carvin.com - Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio: Pro Series Bass Cabinets
    Both of them seem similar.
    Avatar is actually made in my town and I might be able to save on shipping but unfortunately there's no chance to actually try one out locally.
    So I looked at the recent Carvin catalog and the BRX looks really nice too. and I think that one I could return if I didn't like it.I'm not sure about Avatar's policy. The Carvin is a little heavier than the Avatar but also handles more power.
    I'm thinking I might get the 4 ohm version to get the most power out of my amp.
    I'm using a Eden WT 550 and Jazz Basses (4 and 5 string)
    I like the Marcus Miller, Alex Al type of bass sound.Warm, full, punchy and some sizzle on top.
    The gigs I play are jazz latin funk gigs in small to medium rooms.
    I just joined a dance band where I will be playing larger venues but but for those my bagends would be fine because I'll be going through the PA and I don't need the deep sound as much.
    Is somebody here familiar with the cabinets I mentioned and can you guys make a recommendation based on my needs?
    Is one better than the other?

2. The Carvin BRX10.2 is an excellent cab. It can get deep lows, punchy mids, with alot of pop to the high end. I been using the 10.2 for over 2 yrs constantly and have had no issues with it whatsoever. It really will do the job well. ;)

3. I think I've seen Dave (Avatar) invite guys to come by if in town.

Call him.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The drivers used in the Avatar are far superior to those used in the Carvin. Otherwise it's a subjective thing, which you can only determine with having the two side by side to compare.

madjazzbass likes this.
  5. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Another "very happy" for the BRX 10.2 here. But if you get the chance to try both, do so.

6. Bill, has anybody figured out who's making Carvin woofers now?

In 2007, they looked like "off the shelf" Eminence (with a Carvin label on the magnet), but have since changed designs (and kept their same in-house model numbers).
    They look familiar but i can't quiet place them.

7. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    I love both of my B410 Neos from Avatar, and I'd be willing to bet Dave would welcome a visit to his factory by you to try and possibly buy a 210 cab. He's a great guy along the lines of Roger Sadowsky and I think you'll love the 210 cab once you hear it.

I bought mine without testing them, just on their reputation and a couple of phone conversations with Dave, and I never looked back. My cabs are great and I drive them hard with a 800w MarkBass head.

After a year now, they still sound fantastic. I highly recommend them.

:hyper::bassist::hyper:

8. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    The Bag End 15s I have tried are very midrange heavy so I understand wanting something "deeper" and "fuller". But I have some questions:

1) Why are you looking at 10" woofers if what you want is deeper and fuller - two different sonic traits not usually associated with 10s which are more known for punchy mids - like the Bag Ends (notwithstanding the 15").

2) Which is more important to you, deeper or fuller? Because you may not get both. Sometimes cabinets - even with tens - are tuned deep to extend the frequency response further down close to the low fundamentals (30 - 50 Hz-ish) but don't sound full. Fuller on the other hand can be achieved easily by emphasizing the upper bass frequencies - say 80 - 120 Hz.

IMO, if you want deep and full inherent to the cab, expand your search. I hope this helps.

9. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    An Avatar b410 neo might be more in the neighborhood of what you are wanting. My 2x10 isn't bad in the least, but it starts to freak out when I tune down past D...the B410 is in my sights, when money permits. I'd highly recommend the Avatars, being an owner.

10. I did give Dave a call a while back but he wouldn't let me come in to try one out. I suggested I could just buy it and try it at my house( 3 miles away) if he would be willing to take it back in case I didn't like it. That process would have taken an hour or so.But that was a no-go.Dave told me that there might be one in a music store nearby for me to try but it wasn't and they are not planning to get one in.
    I understand the risks of letting strangers come to his shop and waste his time and why he is so protective of his business location because after all, who want's to get ripped off? But I'm not even sure if he would let me pick the cab up from his facility to save the freight.And I do drive by his shop every single day at least twice.
    Still,based on what I'm hearing about them, I'm considering buying one. I clean carpets for a living and a couple of weeks ago I cleaned someones carpet who's the singer in a band with Dave. Maybe I can get him to put in a word for me....I hate begging though....
    But back to the cabinets, how and why are the Avatar drivers better than the Carvin?
    What about the horn and the crossover? Is there a difference there? Which one of the cabinets would reproduce the sound of my B string better( meaning a true fundamental)?

11. Sheesh! Maybe I was mistaken.....

12. I guess what I mean is...the Bag End sounds good and the notes are all there, but it doesn't really move a whole lot of air.You hear the notes but you don't feel them.If I add more of the lower frequencies it gets better but the cab looses some of the definition. Now the gigs I play are generally lower to medium volume gigs.The drummer still plays with sticks and hits the drums, but we're not blasting. There is no wall of guitars for me to compete with. Basically I want a relatively small cabinet that in those conditions sounds bigger and fuller than what I am currently using.

13. Never seen an Avatar cab in real life. Bought a used Carvin 10.2 years ago, love it. Even the tweeter doesn't suck. Have the 4 Ohm version, surprising lows for a little cab, works well with my 5 string - tuned 1 step down. Not midrange heavy like the vintage 15s I'm used to, seems much more even in response. Used with both tube and SS amps, never let me down yet.

14. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    I owned at the same time an Avatar 410neo, and two Carvin BRX10.2's. I compared the two spearker cabs, side by side, some ohm rating, same EQ settings. The head I used for testing was my Carvin BX500. I would say the Avatar was better than good, but was heavy in the mids. One Carvin cab sounded more flat, in a good way, than the Avatar, there was more low end, and it sounded a little more dimensional. Now, the next step was to hook up both Carvin 210's & compare. Not much to say, they were fantastic.

In the end, I sold my Avatar.

15. JB36

JB36

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    Keep in mind the Carvin Neos are 4 ohm only so if you want to stack two, your head will need to run at 2 ohms. This was the main reason I ruled out the BRX. I bought the Avatar and I'm happy with it.

16. Great, I was hoping somebody here had tried both, and both at the same time is even better. Based on the info I have from you guys so far, I'm leaning towards the Carvin in a 4 ohm version. I think my WT 550 can go down to 2 ohms so I could possibly get a second one.
    Currently I have 4 of the Bag Ends. I used to have two of them in the truck with my main band in California and used the other two for my local gigs.Now that I'm not playing professionally anymore I have way more of the Bag Ends than I need.
    I'll probably sell two of them and use the two I'll keep for maybe some of the larger venues and use the 2X10 for the smaller stuff.But who knows I might even spring for a second Carvin.
    Dose the Carvin have an attenuator for the tweeter?

17. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
  18. Jarrett

Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx
    If you dig the MM sound, why not use the cab he uses?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/swr-golight-2x10-8ohm-747563/

I play Carvin SB5000's and use a Carvin BX500 head but when I tried their 2x10 cab I really did not like it.
    I have since moved to using a SWR Marcus Miller Golight 4x10 and/or a SWR Golight 2x10 depending on the size of the room.
    They sound MUCH better than the Carvin 2x10 cab I had, imo. Not to mention much lighter and more portable.

19. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    When I decided to use billfitzmaurice's advice to run two 2x10 cabinets as a vertical 4x10, I auditioned every 210 cabinet in my area I could find.
    Ended up trying a bunch of 210 bass cabinets.
    When I considered sound, componet quality, cabinet build quality, ect., the inexpensive price of the Avatar's made the decision for me.
    I'm "very" happy with my Avatar cabinets.

(The Avatars replaced heavy/large/expensive Eden cabinets...and I don't regret the switch for a second!)

20. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'd have to go with the Avatar simply because they use USA made Eminence drivers, while Carvin uses Chinese made drivers.