Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Avatar 1200 watts

19 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Madison 1600 watts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other (state why)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I am debating between the Avatar 410 (peak 1200w) from Avatar.com or the Madison 410 (peak 1600w) from Speakerhole.com . If this was your choice, which would you choose? I play mostly rock and funk on my Schecter Elite-5. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, please give me your suggestions, or if you know of any other 410's under $300.

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Dont know jack about the Madison's but the Avatar's rock for the bucks. 4 - Eminence Delta's, Fostex horn, 3/4" plywood, switchcraft jacks, mylar capacitor, etc.... All the right ingredience for a great cab plus the customoer service (Dave) can't be beat....

3. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I've heard some REALLY bad things about the Madisons. I wouldn't risk that one, personally. I'd do the Avatar thing from what others have said about them.

4. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i haven't heard of madison, but i've been using avatar for a couple of years now. for the money they are great gigging cabs. i use 2 2x10's and an aguilar db359 for almost any club or outdoor venue.

5. BassRacer

BassRacer

Mar 22, 2001
    I have the Avatar 4x10 and the
    1x15 with a Trace Elliot head.
    I love these cabinets. The are
    made very solid, and have a really nice punchy sound that
    hits you right in the chest.

6. Just got my 410 and 115 last week and I am really loving them. For the price you just can't miss. Really exceptional customer service too.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I looked at the speakerhole and madison web sites. Even if you get the best madison cabinet it still doesn't have the same quality of speakers that Dave at Avatar is using (madison's eminence loaded cabinet has legends vs. Deltas for Avatar).

I have four Avatar cabinets...two Compact 115 bass cabs, a B112 bass cab and a G112 guitar cab...all sound great and are well built.

Dave does provide excellent customer service and stands behind what he sells.

8. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I thought the Madison was a dance, like the Shuffle or somethin.

9. ...or those shoes George Thorogood sang about.

The Avatar is my choice. Exceptional value, and great sound. I haven't heard the Madisons, but as stated above, the Eminence Deltas are my preference over the Legends for bass

Ronzo.

10. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I have an Avatar 210 and I like it. The 410 should be great.

11. Avatars are good for the money spent but my question is are they as good as other amps. Are they reliable and do they give out good sound?

12. Don't forget that Avatar cabinets are just speaker cabinets. They have a characteristic sound, but the issues you seem to be concerned with are those associated with the amp head -- reliability and sound.

I can tell you that with my G-K 400RB head, the Avatar B115 and B210 cabinets sound excellent. For me, they sound better than the Hartkes; I find the aluminum cones a little too bright. I haven't found any build quality issues to justify paying more for the Hartke XL series cabs. The speakers Avatar uses are an Eminence Kappa 15 in the B115 and Eminence Delta 10's plus a Fostex 4" horn in the B210. These are high-quality speakers that other players regard well for this application.

JMO. Your mileage may vary.

Ronzo