Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Both 4 ohm

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. Both 8 ohm

20 vote(s)
    76.9%
  3. 112 4ohm and 210 8ohm

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. 112 8 ohm and 210 4ohm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Well, I am about to take the Avatar plunge. I am going to pick up an SB112 and a B210 from Dave, and am mulling the 4 or 8 ohm decision. My Hartke 5000 can go 4 per side, so I am prolly ok with 2 4's. Has anyone AB'd them? Is there much diff? Will it tax my amp to run 4 on each side?

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    No, running 4 per side should be fine.

I think you'll be best with two 8 ohm cabs. That way you won't be stuck with having to buy an amp that can go down to 2 ohms or stereo.

Besides, won't you get more power out of 4 ohms bridged compared to 4 ohms stereo/4 ohms stereo? Most amps that can go down to 4 ohms bridged are down to 2 ohms/per amp stereo.

Both 8 ohm, for sure.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I have an HA5000 and I use 8 ohm 210s (Avatars) and 1x15s (homebuilt EV TL606 with EVM15s).

The power output difference at 4 ohms vs. 8 ohms isn't great enough that you'll hear much/if any difference.

I'll be doing an outdoor show with old friends this summer and will use a 2x10 and a 1x15 per side...couldn't do that with 4 ohm cabinets.

I voted for 8s!

FWIW, the balance control always favors the 15s so if you're going to mix impedances, keep the 2x10 an 8 ohm cabinet and the 1x12 a 4 ohm cabinet.

I'm toying with the idea of modifying my amp so that in the Biamp mode, the lows are realy full range and the highs are highs-only. Seems like a shame to cheat the 15 out of so much signal when it does full range very well...

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Rmember that if you run one four and one eight, the four will draw more power, so I suppose if you were going to mix the two, then it would make sense to have the two-speaker cab be the 4-Ohm, because that would tend to balance the power that goes to each voice coil, right?

Joe

5. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The 5000 is non bridgable. :(

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Perhaps it would balance power but it would accentuate the efficiency imbalance that my suggestion of a 4 ohm 12 was trying to compensate for.

Keep in mind that the HA-5000 has a balance control for controlling the relative output level of the two power amps.

The Avatar B210s are (IMO) very efficient and one might want to try to make that up with more power hitting the 12.

In my situation, when running a B210 with a single 8 ohm EVM 15, the balance control really has to favor the 15. This was true for both full-range and biamp modes.

Delta 10s are very efficient speakers...

7. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I still say go with the 8 ohms as to not limit yourself in the future.

You will lose some headroom, however. But I think when you upgrade your head you'll be thanking yourself.

8. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Hey, i have an avatar 2x10 and it was 4 ohms and i ended up blowing a speaker, so i replaced them both with 16 ohms to make an 8 ohm cab. It really was the best thing to do. Now my watts from my PLX are a lot closer to my avatar.

get 8 ohms.

9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'll be getting 8 ohm cabs so as to better match the max output level of my chosen amp. I plan to be using more than 1 cab at all times and want my total speaker setup to be 4ohms.

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Talk about kismet!!!

I was going to post an identical thread 'cause I'm looking at getting an Avatar B210 and B410 (NEO) and I had the same questions regarding ohms for a new head purchase as well.....gotta love this forum!!

Thanks for the advice!

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

If you're going to keep that amp, I suggest getting 2 4ohm cabs. If you decide to change to another mono head I suggest getting 2 8ohm cabs.

12. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I am going to be using the Harke for the forseeable future. I remember reading a thread awile ago where another 5000 owner said there was a significant differerence between 4 ohms and 8 ohms per side. The 4 ohms was much louder.

13. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    That's is only 125 watts per cab! Isnt that kind of light? I would be worried about clipping.

14. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Well, I got the 4 ohm 2x10. It is really pretty loud. Hopefully, I will order the 112 next week.

15. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Did you get the NEO's? I'm looking at getting a 410 NEO and a 210 NEO and I'm curious as to how they reproduce the low end (B string). The website says that they have 50% more X-max and the freq response is better, but those are just numbers.

Oh, congrats! (sorry, should have said that first)

16. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks.

Got the B210 Delta. Maybe shuda gotten the Neo. Oh well..

17. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    still a nice cab, tho...enjoy!

18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I thought the Hartke had a minimum 4ohm load. How can you use two 4s with it? I know I must be missing something here, but educate moi. :D

19. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The 5000 has two discrete amplifiers. Each has a 250 watts@4ohm capability. So you can run 2 4ohm cabs. ;)

20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    The Neo's should be fine for the B string. They can be VERY deep sounding cabinets when EQed a certain way. You can also throw 1200 watts at the 4x10, so it should have enough wattage to reproduce those low notes.

As for the original question: I bought the 4 ohm version, but in a way I wish I had bought the 8 ohm version. The reason is because I wasn't sure exactly which power amp I would be using with the cab, and I've had to pass up some nicely priced amps (for example, a few Carver PM900s) because they are only bridgable at 8 ohms. I currently only plan on using a single cab, but I knew I would be using a stereo head anyways if I planned on adding another (which I do plan on, but my current band runs full production, so it's kind of pointless to bring another cabinet when the only people who are going to hear it are up on stage).

BTW: I think one of the greatest thing about Avatars is that all of their cabinets are available in both 4 ohm and 8 ohm impedance loads. Hartke pisses me off with the fact that their XL cabs are only available in 8 ohms, especially since their heads aren't high wattage (and you can't bridge their stereo heads).