Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Nov 14, 2005.

1. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Calling all Avatar owners! I am still GASing over Avatar speakers a bit..specifically a 4x10...the price seems right and they seem very reliable..I just have a few questions -
    Which Avatar rig do you own and what head are you using with it?
    Did you purchase your rig without testing it our first?
    How long have you had it and are are you happy with it overall?
  2. I have the Avatar 410 Kappa Pro. There are tons of threads on these cabs already, including one about replacing the built-in X-over. The Cab sounds great and with the X-Over mod sounds really great. I play into a Yorkville XS400H (with tube pre-amp) and that combo sounds pretty good, although the Kappa Pros easily produce mids and up a little more easily then bass. So, you will need to EQ to taste, especially 150Hz and down.

Recently I've been adding my 1X15 powered by a Yorkville AP2020 to fill out the bottom end, and let me tell you... THAT is a sweet combination! My 15 cab doesn't produce much mids/highs so it works out perfectly.

I did indeed purchase it without trying it, but I also tried every other cab out there including Schroeders, Bergs, Markbass etc. I just couldn't find something that I liked enough to purchase it, especially considering the high-buck price-tags found on some of these cabs. The Avatar, IMHO has the best price/performance ratio out there.

I've only had it for a couple of weeks now, so I can't talk about real-world experience. However, I have had it cranked a few times ... it appears to be real solid and can handle everything I have given it. My next test is to use the AP2020 to send 1200 watts into that puppy :bassist:

- Andrew
  3. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I have the Delta 210, SB112, and the B212. I have had the 210 for over 2 years now. The 112 for a year and the 212 I just got last week from a friend of mine on the Harmony Central forum.

I love the cabs and as spectorbass said, the price/performance ratio is second to none. I got all of the cabs except the 212 without trying them and was not disappointed. I use a BBE Bmax/Behringer EP1500 pre/power setup as my head. Now that I have these cabs I have a lot of flexibilty in what I can use. If I want boom I can use the 212 by itself or with the 210. If I need portabilty then I can use the 112. If I need punch then I can just use the 210.
  4. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    I have the B212 Neo driven by the Ashdown MAG300. Didn't try it first and am extremely impressed. I have had it since July and won't trade it unless I'm in a situation where I need more go-juice all the time (which ain't gonna happen).
  5. CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    I purchased the b410Kappa Pro a while back without trying out. I was judging my opinion on the great reviews and searches. It sounds pretty good as a stand alone cab and can handle some wattage. I run a Sansamp RBI to a QSC RMX1450. I recently added a B115 cab to the mix to finish off the sound I needed. BTW...Very happy with it!
  6. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I just (like 10 minutes ago) ordered a Kappa Pro 2x10 to go with my rig. Currently running a Yorkville XS400 head through a matching Yorkie XC115 cab and an almost 20 year old Fender BXR 4x10. I'm getting rid of the fender for something with more portability & punch. Have never played Avatar before but all of the reviews here & elsewhere convinced me.

That & the fact that you call the company & Dave himself answers the phone and helps me with all of my stupid ohms questions.

I'll give a complete review next week when it arrives.
  7. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    well, B410Pro, very loud articulated sounding cab, I run that either with SVT4PRO, or SVP-BSP, QSC PLX1202. Still experimenting, never tested before, for now, is loueder thatn my BXT410, so I am satisfied with the purchase. One thing is the construction of the cab. I was expecting more, but for the price!! not bad. For now is my main gig stand alone cab. :hyper:
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    SB112 with an Eden WT400, and Genz Benz Series II.

I owned it for three months before some money fell into my lap allowing me to buy what I really wanted...Epifani cabs. While I owned the Avatar, I was totally happy with it all the time.

9. I have a Kustom Groove Bass head that I run into:
    Kappa Pro 2x10
    Delta LF 2x12

I had not tried either the head nor the cabs before purchasing my rig. This is my 1st bass rig & I get compliments on my tone at my gigs. I am going for a slightly-overdriven, rumblish (think ol' Gov't Mule bassist, Allen Woody) rock/roll tone. I especially get good reviews when I tell people my whole stack was about a grand or less.

I have had my 2x10 for a couple months & the 2x12 for 1 month... I love it. I couldn't be happier with a rig that I never tried before purchasing. I spent a couple hours reading this forum, and took a little advice here & there... and pulled the trigger. And I am very pleased with my cabinets.

ALSO - the speakon jack (on the 2x10) came loose & I spoke with Dave @ Avatar about it via e-mail.... trying to get it fixed for gigs that weekend, I managed to find a small screw myself & fix the problem. (the original screw stripped & pulled loose) Dave was very, very easy to work with & offered to send me a new jack plate, jack, screws, etc... I just fixed it myself & he said to remind him of that in the future & I would get rewarded for being so easy to work with. Dave is wonderful about customer service. For the money, Avatar is the way to go.

I support Avatar cabs. I am 90% sure my next cab (whatever & whenever) will come from Avatar.
  10. I have an Avatar B212 delta LF, 4ohms. I use it with a Peavey Firebass 700 and it kicks. I also have a Peavey 410TX, which seems to have even better low end than the 212, but the 212 sounds better and has better clarity, go figure. The 212 cabinet seems tastefully designed, in terms of tuning and what not.
  11. B212 Delta and I love it! I would go w/ 212 over 410's anyday.
  12. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Thanks for all the great reviews guys. I have read about Avatars on the forums here, and have also read about the crossover mod which concerned me a bit as I would not know how to do this mod myself. If I am not mistaken, the mod is to correct any issues with the tweeter, which is something that I won't rely on that much..If anything it will be set at maybe 9 o clock...

Right now I am on the fence between a Schroeder 1212 and an Avatar 4x10 (Not sure which one but probably Kappa Pro). The Schroeder is pricey ($995 Canadian + tax) and the Avatar 4x10 costs almost half the price. Also, if I go with the Avatar I could use the extra $ to buy an additional 115 or 212. I guess I will have to make my decision when I test out the Schroeder. If the Schroeder can blow most 4x10's out of the water like many people have said then my decision will be easy.
  13. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Dave has fixed the crossover himself - last July or so. There's an extensive thread on it. My B212 Neo came with one of the first 4th order crossovers (I think that's what they call it). Anyhow, I have noticed no hiss problems at all with mine.
  14. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    really?? Well now you are making my decision a little easier, thanks! Now if only I could make my mind up lol
  15. I'm pretty sure that the new stock xover is a 2nd order. After studying it a little, it looks like there's a low-pass on the woofers and a hi-pass on the tweet. Not to dis the xover at all because it sounded fine when mine arrived. I still did the mod (I went to college for Electronics) and IMHO it sounds great. The Xover was never to eliminate hiss, since the hiss would live well above the xover point. BTW: I have no hiss unless the treble on my bass is way up. I also didn't have hiss with the stock xover :)

- Andrew

16. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i bought the neo410 without ever hearing one. i just took the advice of other people in here, and it is perfect!
    i'm using a GK-1001RB that i ordered when i ordered the avatar cab (got the GK from riksmusic). i've had mine for nearly a year.
    also, avatar has the best service i've found. when my 410 showed up one of the coils had been bumped out of alignment during shipping. i called dave, he shipped me a new one immediatly, and when i got it i used the box to ship back the damaged driver!

trust me on this, you can't go wrong with buying an avatar.

17. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    And I'm pretty you know more about this than I do, so I will defer to your expertise! All I know is that mine sounds darn good, with no audible hiss. :D
  18. <BLUSH!>

- Andrew

19. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have an Avatar 1x15 and a 2x10 (older versions - but with replaced tweeter in the 2x10). I've had them for more than a year and have played numerous gigs with them. With the Avatars, I run a Hartke 5000 in Biamp mode in an very loud classic rock band. I've even had to run the Hartke almost maxed out, and I can still blast a low B with these cabs. But this is partially due to biamping as I would not try to play a low B at deafening volumes through the 2x10 (it can't do it anyway). They sound great. The only complaint I have is that I wouldn't mind having smaller cabs, but I'd still want the clarity, punch, and volume that I can get now - so I would only replace them with Shroeders or other high end/boutique cabs - and I would change the head first (I have a smaller amp and cabinet for quieter gigs). I bought the cabs based on what I read here and I believe I made an excellent choice based on price and sound.
  20. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've had mine for about 3 years and I've gigged with it pretty heavily. It has taken a beating, but it has served me quite well. The only problem was that the tweeter blew (of course) and I finally ordered a new tweeter and crossover today.

I have rollers on mine and I've rolled it all over - never a rattle when playing. I love the tone (I like Eminence and I think this one has the Deltas) and it is perfect for me.

Well made, sounds great and Dave at Avatar is great to deal with.