Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skorzen, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I was just at the Avatar speakers website and saw that the price one the B4X10 has gone up to $339. For that price you can get a bucnh of other "name brand" speakers, what are your opinions of this? Granted thesee are still relatively cheap, but are now in the price territory of many used cabs.

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    It was just a matter of time. The quality of these cabs are still worth more than the adjusted price. Now that Avatar is becoming more known, the "introductory" level pricing will gradually be abandoned I am sure.

3. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I noticed that Dave's starting bid on the B112 had jumped from $138 to $148. Evidence of Gabu's theory.

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I tried a 4x10 recently. It was a very nice, well built and great sounding cab. I bought it 3 wks ago when it was still $279 and I was baffled by the inexpensive price. I couldn't figure out how Dave could be making any money at all with the quality of components and cabinet design. $339 is still a very good and highly competitive price for the class of cabs Avatar competes with, Eden, SWR, GK, Ampeg. IMO, Dave's stuff easily meets the criteria. I sent mine back, however, simply b/c I can't find any 4x10 cab that does it for me, his was no exception, and I've tried nearly all of them.

When I spoke with Dave he told me that he sells between 200-300 cabs a month. With an *average* cab of his priced at, well, now $300, you do the math. This is some serious cash and the extra $50 will be even sweeter. He's in business. A businesses lifeline is profit. I don't think his increase will hurt him a bit. I wish I had thought of his enterprise before Dave. (Damn him!)

5. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    So you feel that Avatar can hold it's own against Eden and SWR? I was not sure about getting one after the price hike butif it compares faverably with an SWR I may still get one.

6. I just got a brand new avatar 4x10 through bassgear.com for $200 shipped! Not to brag or anything :)

It is definately not some guy's weekend project cab, it is frickin NICE. My band's jaws all dropped at practice when they heard me playing through it, now that's a good feeling. Sits very well in our rock mix

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Glad I bought it when I did!

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hmm...the B112 price hasn't changed, but now the C15 is 10 more expensive, instead of 10 less expensive like it was before.

weird, but i think it's deserved. they really are great cabs.

9. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    The price change is pobably due to the change in design. The B410 and B115 are now front ported;)

10. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    still a good deal regardless. good customer service, good quality, solid speakers. I think those of that own them realized that he was selling a great product for a great price---the price hike had to come at some point after he had a solid reputation.

11. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    Does it compare with the SWR? In my opinion, yes it does. But that is just my opinion. I tried several 410's about 2 years ago, including Ampeg, and Swr And I settled on a Hartke XL 4.5, but I had to sell. When it came time to buy another rig this past June, I went against my better judgment and ordered the Avatar 410B and the 115B, with the understanding from Dave that I could send them back if I didn't like the product. I paid $530.00 for the 2 cabs, and 1 set of casters, including shipping. I bought from Dave off of Ebay, in hopes of getting a better deal. I think I saved about 40-50 bucks this way. When I called Dave to give him my credit card number, he laughed and said "Got yourself a little better deal with Ebay" I told him I couldn't understand how he could put them up for Auction like that, and he replied with "You win some you lose some, but in the long run I stay busy and customers are happy".

I've still got the rig, and I am tickled pink! I love the sound of the cabs, I would have probably went with SWR this time around if Dave's cabs didn't fit the bill, but everything worked out great. Great guy to deal with, and his products are well built to say the least.

If you like the SWR Workingman series, these cabs blow them away, and compare in my opinion to the more expensive Ampeg, Hartke and SWR lines. I can't compare them with Eden, I have never owned or played through those, and probably won't because right now I am satisfied with my Avatars!

12. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Yeah, Skorzen. I do. I guess the testimony of the others would only support mine. It was a great 4x10 cab. However, to my ears its problem was that it's a 4x10 cab. For tone, they just aren't my thing as a stand alone cab. But the Avatar sounded great for one. It was clear, quick and projected well. The horn was nice too b/c it rounded the highs more than some others I've heard. They were softer and not brittle. Try it. You have two weeks. You may love it and save a lot of cash. What's cooler than that?

13. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Unless you know something I dont the B115 is still rear ported. I talked to Dave last wekk and he did confirm that all of the bass cab's will soon be rear ported but he did not expect that to be implemented until approx. 3-4 months down the line. Just a little FYI from what Dave told me on the phone.

14. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Hmm, when I bought my B115 it was rated at 400W RMS, and now they're at 500W. And the B210 jumped from 600W to 700W. Slightly different speakers?

A price hike was long overdue, but I think it's still a great bargain (especially when you snag 'em on eBay like I did ;)).

15. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I get the feeling he is phasing out the ebay sale thing, because he removed the link to his ebay auctions.

16. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Your right. I jumped the gun:oops:

17. He got the new Eminence speakers and new front port design. I think he might lower his prices again, but thats just wishful thinking.

18. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    they still cost less than peavey, hartke, crate, and fender cabs and i think that they blow them away. trust me; it is worth it to pay an extra $20 or so for these cabs. esp. with the redesigns and everything. the b15 will be front ported, but will not be available until sometime in the spring... ;) these are REAL bass cabinets. they are not just a box with some speakers that can make noise at moderate volumes. they have excellent tone and just happen to be inexpensive.
    ::steps off soapbox:: :D

19. I think it is nothing short of amazing how cheap Avatar cabs are priced.

A sheet of 3/4" baltic birch void-free ply is about $92. Add in the grille, hardware, carpet, corners and hardware. Avatar sells those cabs empty for $129 or something like that. I don't know how he makes any money at it. He says he moves 200 ~ 300 cabs per month. Yikes. That is 10 ~ 15 cabs every business day. A lot of daily work for relatively few dollars.

Even if he uses Home Depot grade 3/4" plywood, it still ain't cheap.

20. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Yeah, I can't figure it out either. He also told me that the cabinet maker manufactures the cabs in lots of 50. He buys the speakers in lots of 1000. He then has to pay a crew to assemble the hardware, wire the speakers, pack, ship, everything. Man... It makes you wonder if he's losing his arse or living large. He also said he gets about 80 emails a day and the phone rings continuously. Obviously, he can't do ALL of that himself. I bet he's just using the Eminence software for cab design, not a lot of labor involved in that which is a good thing. It's all too much to comprehend... ;)