Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist31588, Jan 7, 2003.

1. necesary to stay in business

19 vote(s)
  2. looking to expand business so price hikes would enable opening new products up

13 vote(s)
  3. FAIR

65 vote(s)
  4. Poor choice, these were supposed to be quality bargain amps

7 vote(s)
  5. Rediculous

2 vote(s)
  1. I don't know what to say... The guy's trying to make a living. I knew it was going to happen, with my luck. He's not getting a sale from me and I lost some respect for him. He wasnt as helpful as people make him out to be when I emailed him about a month ago. He was planning on price increase and probably realized I didn't have much money so didn't give me much help... I asked loads of questions in the best atitude possible and even COMPLIMENTED him. Bull**** "thanks for your time, I appreciate it Dave" Not much reccomendations for an amp. His responses were brief at maximum no longer than 2 sentences at times. His prices go up, he's going to make some deals with me if he wants a happy customer, I was intending on buying one of his cabs SOON... :oops: Im apphauled:oops:

Carvin 2x10 combo here I come... MAYBE I''ll add his C15, but still thats prolly junk compared to all his other stuff...

A business is a business and you cant expect free products, but the least he could've done was inform me he was intending price raising.
  2. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I certainly haven't had that type of experience with Dave--I am sure he's gotten busier, it's a small operation and his product gets pretty solid reviews in the right circles.
    I think those that have Avatar cabs will mostly agree that it was a great value(especially before he raised prices) and I read here many many times that folks were surprised prices hadn't gone up. Well...I guess it finally happened, and I still think that knowing what I know-- having owned the 410 for 8 months now-- I would buy the new one at the new price because it's still a great value.
    But...I am a happy customer and have not had any other than good customer service and solid product from them. Like you said, there are bound to be those of us that are happy with a product/business and those that aren't...that's life I suppose.
  3. they are still cheaper than other cabs.like the new front port designs. thinking about getting the 2x10's.
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I don't have Avatar speakers, but if he is making number of cabs a month everybody says.....I'm suprised he has time to answer any questions:confused: From what I hear about these cabs you might be screwing yourself;)
  5. I bought a used 410 from someone for a good price, i'll show dave whos boss...
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    From what Ive heard about these cabs, their prices are still incredibly low.

Im thinking of getting a 2-10 or 2-12 from them.

7. My Economics class taught me that when demand for a product goes up, price goes up as well to compensate for smaller demand, allow for more profits and (in some cases) high production costs.

When people are frazzled and busy they don't take compliments well...I know I don't..bad luck I guess.
  8. Q-Phonix

Sep 28, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I am also planning on getting a 210 avatar cab.
    You can still get his cabs at the old price, or even
    cheaper if you are patient. He is always selling new cabs on ebay. He usually starts the 210 out at $188.00.
    The 210 off his web site is 229.00. Any way, you might want to check ebay.
  9. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Good lord! $340 for a new 4x10 with Eminence speakers. What do you want him to do? Wash your feet with his hair?
  10. with all do respect, thats an awfull lot for me, and consiredering the price was about 100 less a month ago:rolleyes:. Yes, its a GREAT deal considering those 4x10s can push over 1000 watts. But I wasnt expecting price hikes...
  11. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Well I can sympathize. I just bought the 4x10 DAYS after the price jump. But I'm not letting it get me down.
  12. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I'm still planning on buying avatar gear in about 2 weeks.. I'm getting a 410 and a 210... I'd rather pay a bit more and have those front ports anyway... and it's only like 60 bucks more for the 410, I think.

p.s.-how long does it usually take to get your cabs in when you order?
  13. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I'm pretty sure he usually ships them the business day after being ordered. UPS has a transit time calculator on their website.

Mr. 31588 -- do you really expect Dave to give you a detailed explanation of what AMPS you should look at?? That's what this forum is for!
    Anyway, The Avatar 2x10 is still cheaper than the Carvin 2x10, and I've only seen the Avatar being favorably compared to the Carvin. (That's the old version, BTW) Also, I haven't seen anything but favorable opinions on the C15.
  14. reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    . He's not getting a sale from me and I lost some respect for him.

wow, Dave must be bumming about that.

I just looked at the price for the new 2x10. It's a couple bucks more than the one I bought six months ago AND it's a better looking cab.

Go ahead and buy the Carvin, but before you do, read how many people hate Carvin(I play a R600), and then see how many hate Avatar. I've never seen anyone have a bad experience with him (Oh, there's probably someone). His Ebay feedback seems pretty respectable.

GO Dave! Love those new 2x12 Horizontal Guitar cabs with tolex and cloth grills too!
  15. I love avatars, just not dave, so im buying it from someone else
  16. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    quitcher moanin' youngin. charmin just raised their prices on toilet paper. do they owe you a call to let you know before you buy some?
  17. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I dont know man, for a cab thats under 400 bucks for a 410 w/ eminence drivers, I wouldnt complain . I've heard nothing but good reports on them and people have even said that some "BIG" names don't even come close tone wise.

18. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Oh well then, he should give you a discount because you think that's an awful lot for you (even though it's an awful lot less than what other people would sell it for). Using that logic, Eden are a bunch of monsters...

Uhh... that stuff happens, dude. Prices increase over time... did you expect him to keep his cab prices down forever? Or just until YOU bought one?

I just ordered a cab from him a week ago, and he was extremely informative and pleasant, even though he was very busy trying to catch up with all the order's he's gotten in the past weeks. When someone is running a business, you can't always expect someone to write an entire article over a couple of little questions.

Sorry to seem harsh, but I think it's selfish to believe someone should keep their prices low and lose profits. Profits are extremely important to small businesses such as Dave's. With the added volume of incoming orders that means added labor and time, meaning higher prices. It happens, get over it. :rolleyes:
  19. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I think that I read in another thread that Eminence raised their prices...Dave would have to then raise his to cover his increased cost.

When I bought my Avatars in May, Avatar was a three man operation...Dave, his son and a helper. When Dave is talking to us on the phone, he's not filling orders.

He's always been very good to me and gets a lot of phone calls. He's fast at returning email and usually answers the phone on the first few rings...no modern automated answering machine crap...that's a rarity in today's business world.

It seems like many of you young folks out there have no idea what a bargain these cabinets are. Back in the '70s you couldn't buy a decent used cabinet for an equivalent amount of money (divide by 4 or so for mid '70s $$$)
  20. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    My experience with Dave was nothing but great. I returned my cab, b/c 4x10's aren't my thing, he was totally cool about it and refunded me instantaneously. His customer service was among the best I've experienced in any business. His product was great.

I don't know all the particulars with your case but I see no reason why he should announce, "My prices are going up!" This seems counter intuitive to me. When was the last time you heard Sears, for example, announce, "Shop Here! Our prices are increasing!" It's a given with business. Profit is the bottom line. Even with his moderate increases, his prices are still far under other cabs in Avatar's class. Carvin might be a better known brand but a recognizeable label does not necessarily result in a superior product. Cool down and rethink your position. Your ears may be sorely disappointed if you buy a Carvin out of spite and "anger".

(No disrespect intended.)