Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jr47foam, Jan 9, 2006.

1. jr47foam

jr47foam

Dec 15, 2003
    Hatboro, PA
    I'm having a problem with an AVATAR B115H speaker cab. We had a gig the other night and it wouldn't work. At home, I took off the back plate and saw a couple of solder joints were not connected. Resoldered and plugged in again. It was very farty sounding and not very powerful. Is the speaker blown?
    Anyone have any experience with this?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Maybe you connected it out of phase. Try flipping the connections and see if that improves it.

3. firebass 1

firebass 1

Dec 16, 2005
    dont know about your problem but Dave at Avatar is the man and he will stand behind his product. I have used his speakers for years including a b15. I did once blow one but it was my fault cuz I abuzed it like pulling it thru a mud bog. He stood behind his product and Anyway they are great.. and you should give him a call. You might change your wording "fartin type sound sounds like a mud bog problem"

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It can only have a phase problem if there are at least 2 drivers.

5. jr47foam

jr47foam

Dec 15, 2003
    Hatboro, PA
    Dave responded to my question and asked me to take the speaker out of the cabinet and test play it. Haven't done it yet. It's only a little over a year old with maybe a total of 30 hrs playing time. I'll be disppointed if the speaker is actually blown.

6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Actually, "fartin' type sound" is a common way of putting it in laymans terms. In the more technical jargon of audiophiles and sound engineers it is usually referred to as T.O.F. or "threshold of farting". It is also sometimes used in technical concepts like F.R., or "fartage ratio". F.R. is a formula for evaluating the efficiency of a combo amp by relating the weight of the unit to the level of usable volume before reaching T.O.F. For you technical types, the formula is:

(W) x (UNV>TOF) = (FR) or:

Multiple the weight of the combo amp in pounds by the percentage of unusable volume over the threshold of farting, this equals the fartage ratio (usually a whole number between 20 and 80 rather than a fraction or true ratio).

Let's run through a couple of examples:

Suppose you have a combo amp that weighs 50 pounds. But all the volume over 60% power is unusable because it exceeds the threshold of farting. The unusable volume is 40%. So, (50) x (40%) = (20)

Now suppose you have a combo amp that weighs 90 pounds (not unusual). But it makes a "fartin' type sound" at anything over 35% power (also not unusual). (90) x (65%) = (58.5) Remember, the second figure is the percentage of UNUSABLE volume. I got that backwards once when I was speaking at a symposium for studio engineers. You should have heard the hooting and catcalls from that one. Good Luck

7. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    jejejej