1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo_freq_geek, Apr 1, 2009.

1. I know Avatar has a great rep for quality & value on this and other forums. I have 2 cabs - an older B210 that started as a Delta, original speakers blew so I replaced them with neos. Good cab and assumed the blown speakers were my fault.

My newer Neo B212 has been good so far but listening t it solo it sounded like some odd vibration/buzzing happening. Upon closer inspection there were only 2 screws holding in one of the drivers (all 8 were installed on the other). I installed some 1" drywall screws I had around and it seems like the only rattling is coming from the windows, pictures on the walls, etc.

I haven't notified Dave at Avatar yet but I don't expect much.

Seems like a big thing to overlook, no? Anyone else had similar discoveries with Avatar or any other manufacturers?

2. Drywall screws make really lousy speaker retaining screws. Replace them all with #10 32 bolts and matching Tnuts.

Paul

3. "Drywall screws make really lousy speaker retaining screws. Replace them all..."

That was my thought as well, but they were all I had and were the same as what the cab came with, just a hair shorter. I figured they were better than friction and luck holding in the speaker and reducing unwanted vibration

4. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Yes

I haven't

5. LevinFan

LevinFan

Aug 4, 2008
    Louisville Ky
    If you bought it new, I'm sure Dave would want to know about it. He's a great guy and he's building great sounding cabs and treating us right price wise. Just keep in mind you kind of released him from responsibility by installing the drywall screws.

As far as telling if your fix did the trick, take it outside where you can pump it up :bassist:

B212 neos are the best buy to be found imho.

6. Friday afternoon, large order about to be shipped and the FedEx guy waiting at the door. You got one guy finishing up wiring the speakers and screwing two in to hold it in place and another guy coming behind screwing the rest in. There's phone calls waiting on two lines and you accidentally miss adding the extra screws to one speaker on one cab. That sort of thing happens in manufacturing, and although sometimes it's a "Do'h!" moment, it's something that can be easily made right. Just a perspective from the other side. As much as you try and keep on quality control, there's no way to give every piece the kind of inspection that you can give it once you have it in your living room. IMHO.

7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    +1

I inspect each newly acquired bit of gear and go over it with a screwdriver to snug this & that.

8. "If you bought it new, I'm sure Dave would want to know about it."

I emailed him directly after I posted this. I'll let everyone here know what he had to say.

"He's a great guy and he's building great sounding cabs and treating us right price wise." Agreed, that's why I was surprised at this oversight.

" Just keep in mind you kind of released him from responsibility by installing the drywall screws."

Its not like I used roofing nails or something else inappropriate that would compromise the cabinet. The screws were nearly identical to the ones installed by Dave. Nor would I ship it back to Dave to have him install screws. I'm just surprised this slipped past given his great rep.

9. Also don't forget if you bought it from Steamco, it might have been their doing as well. It's a pretty easy oversight.

10. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I never inspected my cabinet from inside out, but I have noticed a buzz and figured it was due to my SVT sitting on top of it and the loudness. However, I will say the blue tolex was not done very well and tore pretty damn easy for a new cab and once it tore, it wasn't just a rip---it's like the entire glue or whatever they used loosened and I could put my hand in the hole and touch the bottom of the wood. I called him about it and he pretty much said "Oh well, you scraped it. We rarely have ever had a complaint on our tolex."

Well, I have an Ampeg tolex black cab that I've owned for 6 years and gigged with it quite a bit and there isn't so much as a tear on it anywhere.

This was a brand new tolexed cabinet that had several tears in it after 3 shows. It was not abused. Did it drag against a wall a bit? Maybe. Picked by a drum stand? Maybe. But the tolex is pretty damn cheap and it was poorly framed on my cabinet. He could have easily reimbursed me for the amount extra for the tolex, and he didn't offer. So....I pretty much doubt I will return with Avatar. I like Ampeg's older products and will look to get one sooner than later. I like Avatar, don't get me wrong----but I just feel like if a customer is not BSing you, you ought to listen.

My 2 cents

11. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Avatar uses screws into the baffle to secure the drivers? Is that true? The proper way is Hurricane/Tee nuts behind the baffle and I though most all manufacturers did this.

Just asking. I have never owned a avatar cab so I don't know.

12. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Nope. My $600 bergantino AE112 has screws right into the wood. Drywall screws hold the grill on. Frankly, I've never, ever seen anything but regular wood screws holding a speaker to the baffle. High end or low end.

13. jbassbob

jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    My Fender 250/210 has t-nuts holding the tens and my Bag End S-15 has four large clamps holding it's 15.

14. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Actually it's the opposite for me. Even a Crate cab I owned had Tee nuts.

15. Personally, I'm not a big fan of T-nuts. The four short teeth (anchoring points) are "stripped" very easily if secured incorrectly and become all but useless.

16. I did buy it from Steamco - Kevin who runs it lives about 2 mi away from my house - but he is just a distributor. I emailed him about this as well. He replied within an hour and was quite surprised. When I got the cab was still in the original carton from Avatar and it did not appear to have been unpacked.

17. From Dave today: "THANKs...sorry about that ...that usually isn't the case...thanks for your input and I passed it along to the person in charge or that
    Thanks, Dave."

Whatever... I guess that's better service than some these days.

18. That would be the boss yelling at the person in charge of inspection to take better care and the person in charge of inspection yelling at the kid holding the screwdriver that if it happens again he'll lose his job.

19. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    Yeah, well it was a better response than I got to the horrible tolex job they did on my cab. Really ticked me off. Still does.

20. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    yeah, because if it happens again too many times they are all going to lose their jobs:(...later, ron