Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lackey, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just received my 410 from Avatar the other day,, SWEET!! 300 bucks with shipping and casters,, great construction quality,, beautiful Eminence speakers,, sounds as good as any cab I've played through!!

Its actually flat out ridiculous,, I'm getting great tone out of a MIM Jbass ($300),, Carvin R1000 ($650) and the Avatar ($250)!!

I'm just imagining buckets of tone when I get my tube preamp and high end 6er!!!
  2. Nice. congrats. I am waiting for mine to come in. How long did it take for UPS to get it to you? I keep checking with the tracking number but it has said the same thing for the past 3 days!!?? :confused:
  3. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I ordered it on a Wednesday,, it came in either on monday or tuesday,, (I only noticed the box tuesday afternoon). So it was 3-4 working days for me.
  4. jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    I ordered an Avatar 2x10 cab this past Mon. am,
    Dave had it shipped and emailed me a tracking # by that afternoon. I got on the UPS website and they project it to arrive NEXT MONDAY! That seems like an awful long time. Kudos for Dave for getting it out so quick, he was great to deal with. I much prefer Fedex ground to UPS if I had my choice...
  5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Nah nah nah nah nah, told you all so... :D :D
  6. I hate to rain on everyone's parade but my Avatar 210 is just over a year old and the 10" speakers are starting to break up! I drive it with either an Ampeg V4B or Sunn 2000S. The speakers can't handle these amps and they're only rated at 100W. And I play at a relatively low volume so I'm not even driving the heads very hard.

Others have told me that most 210 cabs just don't cut it as stand alone cabs. Perhaps if I didn't play with a thick bottom end the speakers would have lasted longer.

Based on this info I would not recommend the 210 cab if it's going to be your main rig. The 410 is probably fine.
  7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Avatar was using the lesser quality Eminence speakers a while back (Eminence Alpha's I think rated at only 100 watts or the betas @150 watts). Since then, they have upgraded the speakers in the bass cabs at least twice to better models(currently the Delta's @ 300 watts and the Kappa's @ watts each respectively). If you've bought an Avatar in the past 6 months or less, your ok. Dave told me that since his volumes on purchases have gone up so much he can now buy the Eminences in lots of 1000 and get huge savings. So he passes that on to us and we get the better speakers for the same money as he was selling the lesser speakers at a year or 2 ago. Works for me!! :D :D
  8. UPS ground from Coeur D'Alene, Oregon took about 11 calendar days to get to South Florida. It's heavy -- it'll take a week to 9 days to get to you in NJ, and there won't be any updated info on the UPS tracking site until it hits the nearest depot to you. They won't scan for progress while it's in the truck.

Have faith, my man. It'll come in packed well and in great shape, God willing, and you can let us all know how you like it. It should be all you think it will be.

BTW -- I played through about six different cabs from Mesa to SWR in both 2x10 and 1x15 with a GK 400RB-III head at Mars the other day. My Avatars sounded as good or better than ALL of them. Life is good!

9. Yea, UPS is getting on my nerves. I ordered mine Friday the 21 and the website says it is scheduled to come in Monday July 1st which really sucks. I was hoping to get it by saturday since my band is playing this little party thing. Oh well, it will be the last show for my little Fender 100. Maybe Dave should get a better shipment plan even though it would cost extra. I don't know. I just want to get the cab. The GK head has been sitting in the corner for 4 days begging to be used.
  10. Yeah, I know. It's nerve-wracking. The thing is, my company ships items worldwide, and I know what the deal is with shipping costs. I asked Dave for a quote on shipping 3-day air saver for both UPS and FedEx because I was in a similar situation to yours. The price to ship was just about the price of the cab! It's the size and weight that makes an air shipment hideously expensive, and trucking the cab all the way across the continent takes so durn long. The shipping plan is available, but it's just too expensive for it to be worthwhile.

It's worth the wait, though. Your cab will be SWEET. Have you thought of renting a cab for the gig? Mars, Sam Ash, and Guitar Center all do it down here. Figure a one night rental for a 4x10 would be about 30 bucks, plus having a deposit hold on a credit card until the cab is returned. It'll be cheaper than air freight would be, and you can use your new G-K head for the gig.

Lots of luck on the gig, too. Let us all know how you made out, and if you decided to rent the cab on a one-shot basis to burn-in the G-K head.

Oh, BTW -- maybe you can check the store you purchased the head at for a better rate on the rental, too. You just dropped $400 or so in their shop. Lay this one on them: "I want to make sure the head is working properly before putting a new cab under it." Just a thought.

11. I just thought of this, too: if your Fender has an effect loop, you can take the effects send from the G-K and send it to the power amp in of the Fender. That allows you to use the G-K's preamp with the Fender's power amp and speaker.

12. Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    I'm going to be running 2 Avatar 4x10s through a Carvin R1000...could you tell me what kind of settings you're using on the head, and what kind of tone you're getting? Thanks mate. :)
  13. Hi,
    I was just wondering where you guys ordered your Avatar cabs from. Do they have a website? Any info would be appreciated. Thanx!!!!

ROCK ON......:D
  14. Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002

www.avatarspeakers.com :)
  15. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I just ordered an Avatar B210 yesterday. I'm planning to either get a 15 or another 210 to go with it, but I decided to order just one cabinet at first to see how I like it. Plus, I'm undecided on whether I want the B115 or B210, or something by another manufacturer. I'm concerned that a pair of B210s may lack bottom, but I've also heard that this can be a noce set-up. Meanwhile, the price was too good to pass up. After all this, I need to decide on a new amp and I haven't come to grips yet with whether I should go preamp-amp or buy a regular bass head. Since good preamps can be quite expensive, I'll probably get something like an Ampeg B5R, or mid level Hartke, SWR, or even a Carvin. I don't think I can afford the more "boutique" brands.
  16. grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    if a ran an avatar 4x10 through an ampeg b2r at 4 ohms (350 watts) do you think that would be smart or should a run it at 8 ohms (200 watts ) and get an other 8 ohm extension? i live and gig in nyc so i need to take up as little space as possible because i never know how we are getting to our gigs. i want to be loud and tone is important but not my top priority. it would be easier for me to have one cab at full blast than say a 2x10 and a 15. so should i just rock a 4x10 at 4 ohms or not? i gotta compete with two guitarts at 100+ watts and loud drums.
  17. I was told that if you need to be loud get the 2 cabs at 8ohms each and you'll get the 4ohm power but it would seem to be louder because of more speaker area. But if it's space your concerned about and you don't care if you are louder then get the one cab at 4ohm. It sounds like you need the 2 at 8ohms each but I don't know your band so i can't say.

Info from Ronzo (I don't want to take credit on stuff that he told me):D
  18. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm going to be running 2 Avatar 4x10s through a Carvin R1000...could you tell me what kind of settings you're using on the head, and what kind of tone you're getting? Thanks mate. :)

Sure I'll try and tell ya. First of all,, theres a recessed button on the back of the head "BRIDGE" push it in with a pencil or something. That hooks the internal power amps together and gives you the full 1000 watts. Also disables the Crossover and Power amp controls. I dont use gain, compressor, pre shape buttons, or the EQ knobs, just run my settings thru the graphic eq. Which are;

50 +6
    80 +3
    125 +1
    250 -1
    500 -3
    800 -3
    1.3K 0
    2.6K +5
    5K +11

Sound wise its great for slap and clear sounding fingerstyle,, (my sound!), if you're into reggae or midrangey styles this won't be too good for ya.

I occasionly disable the graphic and fool around with the EQ knobs,, theres some different sounds in their too.
  19. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I have a B2-48 combo, and the pre- and power amps components should be the same as the B2 head in most respects. I was told by an Ampeg tech that the B2-48 puts out 200 watts to its built-in 8-ohm speakers. The 350 watts only kicks in with the addition of an extension cab, and then it's actually 175 watts to the built-ins and 175 watts to the extension. This setup is considerably louder, though, due to more air being pushed.

Ya know, suddenly, I'm not sure why any of this is relevant to your actual question, except that I would vote for two cabs -- more flexibility that way. Sorry for blathering on... :p
  20. If those guitarists are using tube amps, you'll need two cabs. It sucks carrying all that in NYC, but a B410 is 79 lbs. anyway. Get 8 ohm cabs, and get a hand truck from Home Depot that converts to a 4-wheel U-Boat cart -- $45. Load the cabs on, along with the other heavy gear, and wheel it. You aren't going to take a 4x10 down into the subway anyway.

Thanks for the pump, Rage! You'll turn my pretty head...:D

Ronzo II (at work)