Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SubDubMan, Jul 7, 2002.

1. SubDubMan

SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    Can Avatars Handle A Lot Of Power??
    I Know they say they can, but can they really. I am just wondering if there is anyone out there using, lets say... 600+ watts into it?
    Thanks A Lot

2. well, i haven't played an avatar bass cab before (i want our bassist to get one; read my other post on the <1k rig), but according to their speaker ratings, the big 4x10s should be able to handle 1200 watts. i don't see why they wouldn't be able to handle that amount of power; i would think power handling would be solely a function of the speakers

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Assuming you're talking about the 10"-loaded cabs, Eminence rates those 10"s at 300w each, meaning they won't melt when you pump 300w into them, but when you take physics and speaker movement at low freq's into account they wouldn't handle 300 watts each of pure bass. I have an Avatar 2x10 and I really doubt it would handle 600w of pure bass. More speakers is the way to get big volume and headroom, makes much more of a difference than wattage does, assuming you have enough of it.