Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scotius2001, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Hey all you Avatar owners, anyone have the occasion to compare the Avatars to other similar cabs in the area of volume? How do the Avatars stack up against SWRs, Edens, Epis, etc in terms of efficiency? Do they like lots of power or will they sound just as good with moderate power levels? Just curious...

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I have an older model Avatar 2x10, which may be different in sound to the the version they are selling now. I have only compared it to an Eden D-210XLT:

* The Eden definitely has more low end. If you like lots of low end the Avatar would probably not cut it by itself. Of course, it depends on the situation.

* The Avatar does have more midrange defintion to my ears. There is a lot of thump in the midrange that the Eden doesn't quite have. However, there really is less bass in the Avatar than in the Eden.

* The cabinets are different enough that you really can't EQ one cabinet to sound like the other.

3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    In terms of efficiency, Avatars stack up well with the major brands. Some people think that because their power handling is so high they are inefficient. Not so. They compare favorably with the Mesa, Hartke, Ampeg, GK, Peavey, JBL, Sunn, Marshall cabs that I've owned over the years.

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN

hmm, sounds like the would perfectly complement each other... avatars have good mids, not good lows... eden has good lows, and ok mids... what do you think?

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I have played through the aforementioned Eden with the Avatar on top and the combination did indeed sound very good.

6. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    As I remember my Ashdown 2x10 (2000) and my Avatar(2002) are just about as efficent. I sometimes find myself liking the sound of the Avatar better. O say it isn't so...but it is...sometimes.