Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jan 10, 2006.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know that has been some compliants about Avatars having a rattling sound, but I checked the archives, are the other's problems didn't seem to sound like my own.

Whenever I play my Neo 4x10 at gig volume, I notice that there's a very salient rattling/clicking noise. The sound is almost metallic. I've turned off the tweeter, so it doesn't seem to be orginiating from there. I was wondering if I possibly had a loose driver. Also, I'm going to take off the grill, and see if that is the problem.

Any ideas?
  2. tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    mine works fine. I havent really blasted my amp that much. What type of head do you have?
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have a QSC power amp and BBE preamp. I tried the cab through an old Sunn I have, and the sound still seemed to be there.
  4. probably handles or external parts rattling?
  5. lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    My Sb112's had the new crossover and input panels. After a while, the screws that hold the circuit board to the metal input panel worked loose and fell out and the circuit board would tap against the input panel. I replaced the screws and loctited them in and had no more problems.
  6. the 1/4' jack on the back of my avatar b210 gets loose from time to time, check that to see if that may be causing the rattle.
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    The rattling seems to be coming from the speakers, though.

I'll tighten up the panels, handles, and grills before I pull any drivers first.
  8. m1k3_88

Jan 23, 2005
    I seem to be having the same problem, ive tightened everything i can think of, but it still sounds like the top right speaker on my avatar 410 neo is rattling. Any suggestions/ideas to stop the rattle?
  9. DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    I had the same problem as LOWMID-just take off the back panal and see if the X-Over is loose...Peace...DAcat...:cool:
  10. nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I have a similar problem with my B212.. There is a rattling/resonance kind of sound coming from the bottom 12" speaker when playing at loud volumes...

I addressed it to the Dutch dealer and a new speaker is on already on the way. Great service!
    Hope this will solve it...
  11. wow, kinda makin me think twice about buying that 1x15 from avatar
  12. Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I have a B212 and a B410, both Deltas, both purchased within the last 6th monthts...no rattling problems
  13. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    I have one of the first B212 Neo's Dave ever produced. Purchased last July. Had her up to gig volume numerous times (powered by an Ashdown MAG300) - no rattling, buzzing, etc. Just clean, warm sound. I also make a habit of putting my rig up on two plastic milk crates to get it closer to ear level and off the floor.
  14. bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    I had this same problem and finally realized that the speakers were making contact with the metal grill. Apparently I overtightened the screws that mount the grill cover to the cabinet, bringing the grill closer to the speakers. At gigging volume the speakers extension would hit the grill! My bad.

To resolve the issue I put a 1 inch washer under each of the rubber spacers, giving the grill cover about 1/8 of an inch of extra clearance. Problem solved!
  15. Stevem627

Nov 30, 2005
    Corinth, TX
    I had this problem with a 2 x 10 Delta Avatar cabinet. It was in just one range on my e string from about the 6th thru 11th fret. I called Avatar who shipped another speaker to me after I checked all screws and connections. Excellent service, and the speaker replacement worked. Remember this problem has NOTHING to do with Avatar speakers...just Eminence. ;)
  16. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Wow, I didn't know that this thread was still active. *LOL*

Anyways, I let my soundman listen to the cabinet this past Saturday, and he said that I probaly either have a shredded paper (which I can't detect from the front of the speakers) or it may even be as simple as a loose dust cover. Either way,

I'm debating on whether I really want to replace a speaker. I'm already considering a new cabinet. While I think the Avatars are decent cabinets for the money and have very nice speakers, I'm not at all impressed with the build-quality of the actual boxes. The glue is coming undone on my covering, the piece of wood dividing the port was never straight, and the bottom of the cabinet is actually bowing because it can't handle the weight of my rack. To be fair, I do have a heavy QSC in my rack, but it still only weighs about 70 lbs. total. That's still less than many cabinets, which one may want to stack on top of the this cab.

So, I may get by with the noise (we always run full production and I face my cabinet straight across the stage, so the audience doesn't hear it) for a few more gigs, and just invest in a higher end cabinet.
  17. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    OK...I'll post now. I thought the rattling from mine was just me overpowering the cabs...but I really didn't think I was pushing htem that hard. I get it through my 410 but not the 212. Hmmm...now I'll have to open her up tighten everything down.
  18. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I had a similar issue with a 210 kappa. It sounded like there was something bouncing around behind the dust cap. My cab arrived this way. I had the speakers replaced by Avatar, problem solved.

When I tried to sell the cab a year later, something similar happened to the speakers during shipping and this time I got stuck paying for the replacement.

Avatar left me with a poor opinion of Eminance speakers. I don't trust them. Dave at Avatar was helpful throughout, but I'll never own another one of his cabs.
  19. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    This is sort of true. Wait until the problem happens a second time.

When I had a second speaker go Dave refused to replace it even though the cab was still less than a year old and under warranty. He said it was my fault and that it was impossible for the same problem to happen to two different speakers, therefore I had to pay regardless of the warranty.

I know I didn't blow the speaker. I'm not a dummy, I know what it takes to wreck a driver and I just don't treat my equipment like that. I just wanted to get rid of the thing so I paid for the new speakers and sold the cab.

It seems to me that many people are having issues with their Avatar cabs. Dave told me many times that his Eminence drives are very durable and do not have issues. Is that really true? If there is an issue with the Eminence drivers, and Avatar ignores it, then the problem does have something to do with Avatar.

I'm not trying to set up Dave at Avatar or give him a bad name, but I think it is possible that the issue is with Avatar. For cabs priced that low they have to cut corners somewhere? I played a fender 15" cab for 6 years, a SWR 15" for 7 years, and a Schroeder 1212 for 1 year. I have never had a single issue with any of those cabs. My Avatar cab had two issues in less than a year, and my warranty was not honored.

I've learned my lesson. You get what you pay for.
  20. Stevem627

Nov 30, 2005
    Corinth, TX
    It looks to me like Eminence has some quality issues in their speakers. I think I'll try something else for my 15" now.