Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tolson36, Jan 18, 2006.

1. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    Hi

Anyone know of a cheaper source--besides Vibroworld for an exact match of the red tolex that Avatar is using on it's bass cabs?

I bought a 112 in red and would like to redo my 210 in the same material. It's $25 per yard at Vibro and I've seen other places where tolex is cheaper but I'm not sure it's the exact pattern/color the vibroworld stock number is ASC33 "Red Tolex Bronco pattern"

thanks in advance

Tim Olson

2. Ha, I saw those on the website. They look so cool!

Good luck finding the tolex.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd call Dave and see if he would sell you some.

4. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    No go

he's the one that recommended Vibroworld---I got the impression he didn't want to deal with selling tolex--maybe he can't do any better than them on price

only problem is I'd need 3 yards (really just 7 feet) and I hate to spend $75 plus shipping just for tolex (and then end up with almost half of it left over) it's 54" wide so you could do two smaller cabs

anyone want to split the cost and take a 3 yard by 27" piece

I'm planning on doing the sides---but not the face (except the upper port) OR the rear---I'll leave those in rat fur.

a matched set of red Avatars should look real purty on stage

anyway--I know I can do better than $25 a yard---I'm asking some of the dealers who sell tolex a bit cheaper to send me samples.

5. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    by the way

I really like the NEO 4-ohm 112 I think it's model is the SB112--NEO

gives me enough to fill in for a bit of missing low on the 210 Delta without the overkill of my 15" cab----I intended to use the 210 alone for small gigs but it starts getting too quiet on the low E---IMO

Plus---as a standalone cab--it should be very adequate---seems to have enough lows/mids/highs for my use--only 39lbs too----this cab I think is better as a standalone than the Delta LF version. (I have a Delta LF in a homemade cab that I think is not loud enough and doesn't have good mids)

With this cab--I've finally found my main rig and my small rig---I'll run the 15" and another 12" cab only at very large gigs

I'll note one thing---horn in the 210 Delta---I disconnected it because it was too noisy--sounded like low-level distortion when using my wireless especially

However, the horn on the 112 cabinet seems to be cleaner--could be my imagination--but one horn between the two cabs is enough for me

6. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i'm going to get myself an avatar 1 12 neo, probably in red or white. i think it'll look nice having one in rat fur and one in tolex. a cool compliment to eachother, IMO.

and i think that'll complete my ultimate portable bass stack. i mean, with college in my future and a professional career still not on the horizon, it'll be nice to have two small cabs, a single bass, and a sweet SWR head in my dorm.

7. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    How do you think it would look to have the red 112 neo on the bottom---then take the 210 and spray paint just the grill the same color red?

another option---leave the grill on the 210 black--remove the rat fur on the speaker baffle and paint just the baffle red---then you have the blue speaker cones of the Deltas that kind of stand out.

uuuuuuuh I think I need a check on my manliness here :)

8. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    My white tolex sb112 came this week and I can't wait to gig with it. Have you thought of giving the rat fur a dye job with some spray paint?

9. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    yeah--thought about it

does this actually work? I thought it might look bad so I crossed it off my list of possibilities

10. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    The rat fur is basically a plastic fiber. I'm assuming if you use the right paint for it, it should cover it completely. The problem that might arise is if there is an incompatibility between the paints solvent and the rat fur. In building model trains, some plastic paints use a solvent that reacts with certain foam products and it dissolves them. Other plastics are fine. You could try a test area on the bottom of the cab to see if its suitable. As someone else said "paint the grill red" is another cosmetic alternative that works.

11. OblivionBass

OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    sorry i dont mean to hijack the post, but is the tolex for the avatar cabs avalible to all cabs, or just the 1x12 and 2x10

12. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    I think just those two right now--check avatarspeakers.com

13. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    spraying the horn would definitely be sweet. i think i may go for that, spray it gold.

14. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    On the rat fur 210, I thought I'd try cutting out a piece of posterboard----painting it red, cutting out speaker holes and using 2-side carpet tape to place it directly over the existing baffle---under the black speaker grill

might give it just enough red to make it a credible match with the red tolex 112-----it would certainly make the tweeter horn and the two deltas with blue cones stand out.

if not--can be easily removed

15. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    The top cabinet has a piece of foam posterboard over the existing baffle obtained for $5

It's actually a much closer match (almost exact) than it looks in the shot. Must have something to do with the lighting---from behind the grill the digital camera gave it a more pinkish tone than it has in real life. Might be that the difference in the texture relects more light from one than the other.

the posterboard really makes the blue Delta speakers stand out

[​IMG]

16. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    thats awesome.

i need to get my 1 12 now

and, paint my tweeter gold. cos that'd b cool.

17. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    what kind of wattage are you putting thru that?

and how does it sound with ur bass/basses?

18. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    both of my Avatar cabs are 4-ohm---the Crown is 600w x 2

so total watts possible is 1200

of course I don't use 1200---but there is plenty of headroom for peaks---the highest I would ever run the amp is probably about half way--maybe a bit more into the 2x10---in reality--I probably get no higher than about 1/4 for most venues

it's nice to have two channels to be able to individually control the level of each cabinet

a great combination---The 112 adds just enough low end to allow the low E to come through enough--which it doesn't with just the 210

when I was running this with a 15---it was hard to avoid boominess in small venues---now I'm happy with ease with which I can get a nice cutting tone--but still have a full low E

19. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    thats a crap load. but yea, two channels is real nice.

i bet that costs a bit tho. a little more than my SWR.