Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VinnyP666, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Carvin rl600 (or rl1000)

3 vote(s)
  2. Hartke 5000

1 vote(s)
  3. a power amp with a pre-amp (if so, what kind )

5 vote(s)
  4. other

1 vote(s)
  1. VinnyP666

Aug 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    What head should I add to my Avatar 4x10 and 115 cabs. I need something reliable and that sounds good for the money.
  2. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I'd go the pre/power route. My recommendation would be the Sansamp RBI and Carvin DCM600 or 1000.
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    hartke 7000, it sounds great for the money.
  4. What's your budget (unstretched and stretched)?

Can't answer the question well until that question is answered.
  5. Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002

Right now, I'm running my my Avatar 4x10 bridged with a Sansamp RBI ----> Carvin R1000's Effects Loop return jack, which bypasses the first 2 EQ stages, but leaves me the graphic EQ. It sounds great. :D :D
  6. VinnyP666

Aug 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Well I was willing to pay for the Carvin rl600 which was $569 but I guess I could streach a little more.:D
  7. My suggestions:

Bass head -- G-K 1001RB

Pre/Power Amp -- SansAmp RBI preamp + QSC RMX series power amp

From the threads I've been seeing about your quest for a good rock rig with the best possible value, these combine well with the Avatar cabs. I like my G-K 400RB with my Avatars, but I_am_Rage preferred a Hartke 3500. Try them, if you already have the cabs.

Bear this in mind, though: I also own a QSC RMX-850, and when I really need a lot more power, I'd use my 400RB as a preamp and feed the RMX-850 with it. Most of the time, my RMX-850 sees duty as the PA amp. If I needed to provide that much power on the bass, I'd need a lot more power in the PA mains, too -- so I'd rent a power amp or two for that gig. A moderately powered head usable as a preamp with a power amp in reserve for bigger gigs is a very flexible combination, and flexibility is important to me. I play in a variety of situations, and the Avatar cabs get chosen for the needs of the given gig. I might use just the B210, just the B115, or both, depending on the circumstances. But I also have a van to transport it all.

The Avatar cabs are a good choice for you, I think -- a great value for the buck. My advice to you is to buy used, and choose wisely. RMX-850's go for about $200-$275 on eBay. G-K 400RB's are usually about $225, 800RB's about $100 more than that. A G-K 800RB plus a QSC poweramp, both bought used, will give you most of what you seem to be looking for. A SansAmp RBI will give you the rest, if you can find one. They're an urban legend down here in South Florida -- I haven't been able to plug into one yet. I love the BDDI, though.

Just my $0.02, YMMV, IMHO, all that stuff. Good luck!
  8. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I don't see the point of getting the head with the power amp Ronzo. Why not just get the Sansamp? Well actually a backup power source is good too... I say stick with the Sansamp RBI.
  9. It's the size and flexibility thing, njdx. If the gig or rehearsal doesn't warrant taking both cabs plus 50 pounds of power amp, I can take just 16 pounds of G-K head and either one or both cabs. You young, strong guys can do it... but us old farts get The Big Chest Punch from carrying loads like that unnecessarily. ;)
  10. ...and remember, the RBI is like Sasquatch down here in SoFla. Many alleged sightings, but no hard evidence of it's real, live existence. :D
  11. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Find the following used: Yamaha PB-1 and QSC PLX 1602. That would run you about $550 total, and would weigh about 30 lbs.